NWN2: Toolset Creations

Oerwinde

I altered the Humanoid_Reptilian line in racialsubtypes.2da to reflect the Kobold's stats, took the number from apperence.2da that kobold appears under (535, I think) and placed that in its apperence index, then I made the Humanoid Reptilian race and subrace available for players.

It's not that difficult to just kick a race into the game.

I also changed the dialog.tlk file so the race would be listed as a kobold and created racial_feat_kobold so they could have their own set of feats.

Is there a race you're interested in playing? I could create the same for you or just walk through what you'd need to change in the .2da files.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

A walkthrough of some kind would be great. :)

I'd list a race, but since restarting NWN1... I find... I can't really remember the available races in NWN2 anymore. >_<

I remember Orcs and Goblins and some demons and that's about it. :)

I'll just pull a random creature out then.

First, I open up apperences.2da in the tool editor. Oh cool, horses! Oh wait... they don't have a string reference number. No string reference number = no model.

Hmm, okay, how about Erinyes? Fluffy wings, washboard abs, and a BDSM outfit, who wouldn't want to play one of those? Their label in apperence.2da is 514 and their string reference is 110712.

In Greek mythology, Erinyes were the Furies, chthonic goddesses charged with punishing those who swore false oaths and those who broke "natural" laws. Unlike Nemesis, a personification of *just* punishment, Erinyes were often portrayed as vengeful and cruel. They tormented those who had transgressed heaven's laws without ceaselessly, often compelling the mortal to insanity and suicide so they might torture his damned soul eternally.

I find this a far more compelling vision of Lawful Evil than D&D's "their so hawt you sell you're sole for da nookie!" version of Erinyes. Besides, Erinyes as is have a +7 Level adjustment so I'm going to change their stats to:

+2 Charisma, +2 Intelligence, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma

Darkvision 60 ft

+ 2 Natural Armor

Spell Resistance

Infernal Resistance

Level Adjustment: +2

Race: Outsider.

Time to open up racialtypes.2da and racialsubtypes.2da. Now, here's the problem, you can't create new base races or subraces. However, you can overwrite existing ones that aren't being used for PCs and it won't have a negative effect on the game (that I know of). Moreover, you have to find a base race with only one subrace or the game will crash.

Erinyes are Outsiders. In racialtypes.2da, Outsiders are on line 20, if you now open racialsubtypes.2da, you'll see that the first column is the name of the subrace and the second is the number of the base race they belong to.

Outsiders have seven subraces attached to them (the genasi, the githzeri, and general outsiders subrace). On the other hand, the base race Humanoid_Goblinoid only has one attached to it In racialtypes.2da, click on the number 20, this should highlight the entire row. Hit ctrl+c to copy the row, click on number 12 for Goblinoid, and then hit ctrl+p. This should overwrite that row.

Go back to racialsubtypes.2da, click on 33/Outsiders and copy and paste it over 26/Huminoid Goblinoid.

Go back to racialtypes.2da, the first column says Outsiders, which is correct. The next few columns are links to dialog.tlk and influence what words appear in the game when this row is referenced. Keep on going to column after column until you reach the ones that say StrAdjust, DexAdjust, etc. Place a 2 in Dex, Int, and Con and a -2 in Cha.

Endurance is base land speed, which is 30 for a medium size creature.

The next is column of interest is 'favored.' That stands for favored class, I'm putting 2 for cleric as I've created my Erinyes as an instrument of 'divine' vengeance. For feats, enter RACE_FEAT_HUMAN. That will give Outsiders the human racial feats until we create RACE_FEAT_ERINYES.

I'm giving the Outsiders the human biography of 8163, again we can change that later if you desire.

Player Race should equal 1 to make this appear on the character creation screen.

Keep on going until you hit 'DefaultSubrace." Right now, it points to 33, which is the original Outsider subrace but we want it to point to the one we'll be manipulating, which is 26.

That's it for racialtypes.2da. Hit 'save' for that file and close.

Now back to racialsubtypes.2da, 26/Outsiders. Change the name from Outsiders to Erinyes and the base race to 12. Next is the ECL, the level adjustment. We'll change that to 2 and the 'Abbreviation' to Er.

The rest of this should be familiar. For now, we're going to leave the names and descriptions alone and continue to the StrAdjust, DexAdjust, etc columns again. As before, add 2 to Dex, Int, and Con and -2 to Cha.

Endurance is, again, 30. Favored is class 2, clerics. And yes, they have a favored class so put a 1 in the next column.

RACE_FEAT_HUMAN in the Feat column and 8163 in Biography.

Change Player Race from 0 to 1 to make this available.

Racial subtype is Erinyes. Age is 300. For color, I'm using color_moonelf. You can use any pre-existing color scheme you want right now and if you want to, I'll show you how to create your own color scheme in the future.

Appearance Index is the number we took from the apperence.2da file: 514. Stick the ira_ge_raceicon in the female icon column.

Hit save again. Open up your game and create a new character. You should have Erinyes available. Now, if at any time you made an error during this process, your game will crash before you're finished with character creation. If not, enjoy!

Tell me when you're finished with this first part of race creation and then we can move onto any other aspects you're interested in.

post-1288-1164531532_thumb.jpg

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Hey, awesome. :D Thank you for the tutorial :p

It's too late for me to try it tonight, but I'll try it tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Which files do I need to back up so I can restore the defaults if I mess something up by accident, and how easy are they to find?

You don't have to back up anything. The toolset will automatically create copies in your override folder.

If you want to manipulate them open your toolset. Click on VIEW->2DA FILES... a list will appear. You'll want apperence.2da, racialtypes.2da, and racialsubtypes.2da. You can open them all at once and tab back and forth between them.

I've stepped away from playing with the 2da files, now that I feel I have a handle on them and have moved to journal entries/conversations in a module. I altered the set up of my toolset so that the side menus slide into view, allowing me to have the entirety of the window for areas or conversations. This helped immensely as I realized there were functions that I hadn't seen before; the animation buttons, for instance, were completely hidden until I stretched the conversation editor over the entire screen.

I created a simple quest with three states. The first when it's given, the second when you've killed eight bladelings, and the third when you've returned to the quest giver with the bladeling's horn.

I only had to use one script (GroupOnDeathSetJournalEntry) to update the journal when you killed the eight bladelings. Yet I was able to create conversational conditionals when he gives you the quest, when you talk to him and you haven

Yep, the conditions/actions are pretty powerful now, and even the camera nodes can be set inside the conv editor - although the creaiton of static cameras is funky because you can't preview what they are looking at, so to get a good view you're endlessly clicking Run Module.

I wouldn't be surprised by the +1gb temp file, either, what with some of the other things NWN2 does. (Heck, 7gb free space for a 50mb patch?)

I altered the set up of my toolset so that the side menus slide into view, allowing me to have the entirety of the window for areas or conversations. This helped immensely as I realized there were functions that I hadn't seen before; the animation buttons, for instance, were completely hidden until I stretched the conversation editor over the entire screen.

Considered running 2 monitors?

I've been running two for a while, mainly for Unreal Tournament.

Ued on one screen, MSN/MP3player/Internet browser on the other.

I'm currently in the process of getting a 2nd computer and 3rd screen set up, for all the extras.

NWN2 toolset looks like it'll really benefit from having the second screen available.

And being in .net, all the 3D acceleration should work on the second monitor.

NWN2texture.jpg

I was perplexed that there is no winter/snow texture in NWN2 so I made one real quick. Our modteam is in pre-pre-produtction right now, we'll have 10 weeks full production time starting in April

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Thanks Maria. I've been lurking for the most part because I'm not quite ready to start with the toolset. (Trying to finish second playthrough first.)

I like the idea of an Erinyes character, though I agree with you on their appearance. I don't have the resources to edit the textures so I guess the BDSM outfit will have to remain. I've noticed some characters, such as Z and Ammon, don't change appearance when you equip them with armor. Maybe there's a flag that controls this. It'd be nice to put some clothes on the Erinyes. Not that her body is ugly (far from it :( ) but that outfit has to go.

Also the only gender option should be female, correct? And what of their alignment? The cleric idea makes sense, possibly leading to a Warpriest PrC or the Divine Champion. I don't have a 3E MM handy or I'd look this stuff up myself.

The last texture is pretty great.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Hmmm.... well... I appreciate the tutorial Maria... but I've hit a couple problems. :dancing:

One isn't that scary...

I did make a smurf.

post-316-1164656578_thumb.jpg

The one that scares me though... is the fact there's nothing in my override folder. :(

So this means I made a permanent change to the game :(

Hmmm.... well... I appreciate the tutorial Maria... but I've hit a couple problems. :dancing:

One isn't that scary...

I did make a smurf.

post-316-1164656578_thumb.jpg

The one that scares me though... is the fact there's nothing in my override folder.  :(

So this means I made a permanent change to the game :(

There should be two override directories.

1 located in your default install directory IE: program Files/Atari/Neverwinter Nights 2/Override

The other in your My Documents/Neverwinter Nights 2/Override

Any Changes to your .2da's should appear in the My Documents override Dir.

Hope that helps.