NWN2: Forumite Impressions

Darque

"And that's not all to say that NWN2 is a cakewalk."

Eh? But, it is. The game is one of the easiest games I've played. Easier than TOEE, and quite possibly even easier than the KOTORs. There is simply a lack of challenge. Of course, there are a couple of exemptions to that rule.

Quite frankly, I think a character should die at 0hp (or -10hp) and be done with it. I doubt most players would cry about that.

I agree that the option should be available for permadeath. The game isn't what I would call easy, it's just that the death penalty is super light and resting is overly powerful. It would be nice if the OC offered more than one option for mortality and recovery.

Eventually we will have plenty of persistent worlds and modules that include more difficult scenarios. Consider the OC a training wheel version of D&D. Personally, I'm a wuss and enjoy the fact that I can move through the story without replaying battles over and over again. For me, the OC is about the story and watching it unfold. I'm happy with it not being difficult, but I can see where people deserve the option to make it so.

man, we're lame. has anyone bothered to notice how much time we sit in here discussing this game? heck, it was bad enough before NWN2 came out. go to bed: check the forum. get up and get to work: check the forum. heck, i'm working now, too. ugh. i'm actually running an excessively long compile at the moment.

:(

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I guess that I must be an oddity, in that I hardly ever rest in these games. In the IE games I'd only rest if my characters were fatigued or completely out of spells/special abilities (well, in BG2, I'd rest to trigger events on later play-throughs, but that's it). In NWN2, I only rest if everyone is out of spells and it's been several hours.

Not lame, Taks. Discussing games is *almost* as fun as playing them. Even if it's with people I constantly disagree with. It's good to read different perspectives. :(

Deg, I tend to rest inbetween dungeons only except in REALLY long ones. Don't forget, NWN2 auto rests you when travelling on the world map.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

man, we're lame.  has anyone bothered to notice how much time we sit in here discussing this game?  heck, it was bad enough before NWN2 came out.  go to bed: check the forum.  get up and get to work: check the forum.  heck, i'm working now, too.  ugh.  i'm actually running an excessively long compile at the moment.

=]

taks

Not lame at all. :)

It means we all enjoy the game, right? :D

That's a good thing. :joy:

lame because the majority of us spend this much time posting with strangers on a message board. in some sense, we are all "friends," even when debating and spewing our normal brand of illogic. =]

taks

comrade taks... just because.

lame because the majority of us spend this much time posting with strangers on a message board.  in some sense, we are all "friends," even when debating and spewing our normal brand of illogic. :x

taks

:crazy:

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

However, if you feel like exploiting bugs that allow companions revive because you lure away the combatants, then I don't really see what there is to address.

Once again, alan, I had already addressed this point before you made it. Certainly I have no sympathy with anyone who exploits this then claims the game is too easy; but what are you to do fi you are just playing "normally" but it happens anyway?

Most times this happens to me, its because the only character left alive is a mage or osmething and has to run away before it can 'regroup'. As it happens, the game revives everyone else. I try not to use them anyway, but I do believe it is an immersion killer to a degree.

Anyway, the game could be a bit harder, but I would definitely say KOTORs and JE were way, way, way easier. In those games I never had a single battle worth remebering or that was challenging. In here, I do.

man, we're lame.  has anyone bothered to notice how much time we sit in here discussing this game?  heck, it was bad enough before NWN2 came out.  go to bed: check the forum.  get up and get to work: check the forum.  heck, i'm working now, too.  ugh.  i'm actually running an excessively long compile at the moment.

:(

taks

Not lame at all. :p

It means we all enjoy the game, right? :D

That's a good thing. :joy:

One enjoys a game when one plays it. Not beating a dead horse about trivial things about it. :thumbsup:

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Then go play and don't "discuss" with us. Coming on a message board to say talking on a message board is silly is almost Hades-like in its magnificence.

Been playing a bit more and I want to know if anybody's done the Neeshka / Leldon quests by actually sneaking. It's a lot more cumbersome due to having to braodcast stand ground (Then "Follow"), and the fact that party members teleport once you get in dialogue, but I've already

got his coin

and don't fancy knocking all the thugs in the head again when I'm supposed to be sneaking.

Edited by Tigranes

Well, I can't even get into Blacklake right now because the game crashes. :(

It loads the 21 areas, then screen goes black instead of turning into the "second" loading screen, then crash. Game-wise I have to get in there because

I want to start my trial, I have all the evidence. I've been in Blacklake (in free-roam mode), in the castle, etc, before, so it must be something to do with the new triggers relating to the trial. Is Sand able to auto-teleport you to the castle via dialogue once you have all the evidence? I found Marcus, Quartermaster's Log, poisoned man, signet ring, stole the powder then killed the Dryad just so the game isn't confused by the pickpocketing, buried corpses, persuaded the fib teller, killed the werewolves, and Sand says "That might do it". If that's all he's supposed to say, then I am fuxed.

:p

I haven't figured out how - if at all - the quickcast spell display shows whether a spell can still be used or not or how many castings remain. Doesn't seem to.

Are you talking about the quickspell list you get by hitting F?

Yeah. I guess it is OK.

Still having fun in Chapter 1. I find the plot and characters very engaging.

Some more minor bugs:

* In the orc caves there are two ore deposits that, when selected, display an identifier like "XYZ-01" - some incomprehensible gibberish. In another cave the ore deposit dispays a sensible label like "ore deposit".

Somehow the Azure fellow from the Luskin ship in the docks went into conversation mode in the middle of the fight but with nothing to say during my combat with him. I had to restart.

* The open door to Sand's shop shows the enter symbol when selected but the doorway does not. I have to select the door to go inside.

I find it irritating that enemies will sometimes just materialize out of nothing in a room that I have just cleared. I wouldn't mind if I went back after some time and found enemies had repopulated a room but it doesn't make sense when they just form out of thin air. I have enough trouble protecting my sorcerer!

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

The pros: Intro Music

The cons: Everything else.

Pros: Graphics, new Music, characters, story, gameplay

Cons: system hog, scripting bugs, Half-Elf faces.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg