NWN2: Forumite Impressions

Darque

I don't like that it's installing all sorts of .NET stuff on my system.  Not that I mind it in particular, but why?  I guess I'll find out.

Wow, it's already installing an 87MB patch.  haha.  I actually take that as a good sign, however.  It's like when Diablo 2 had a patch available before the release date.  It shows a conscientious approach to the consumer.

Ah, I see, they're actually mods.  Wonderful.  That's great.  It's taking a while to install all the updates, but I don't mind.  I'm just glad to have time to spend on the boards for a while while I wait.

I believe the modding tools require MSNet 2.0. If you were to open the tools, you will also notice they maybe compatible with KotOR II. Shhh...

The one thing that bothers me is the party control. Is there an option to make it possible to select the character you wish to control just by clicking on their character avatar and not the portrait? I've gotten used to doing this in all the IE games, so its pretty annoying when I think I've issued orders only to have someone else execute them after the unpause.

This bothers me as well. It would also be cool if you could simply right-click the Character's portrait to bring up it's inventory panel.

- Interestingly, i'm getting much better FPSs at outdoor than indoor.

- Game is quite playable with my old machine. (9600pro, 512ram, P4 3 Ghz)

- Level progression is a bit fast for my tastes.

- Bevil looks like Carth Onasi acts like Atton.

Bevil reminded me of Carth. Looked some what like him, whined like hum and his voice was similiar.

So, i am not alone.

centinexx.png

Yes, I can say that NWN2, like KotOR2, managed to get the tutorial right. In fact, the tutorials rank right up with the top in the genre, even more remarkable in that they are quite different in tone and content.

Unlike KotOR2, the writing has not, up to this point, made me cringe, gnash my teeth, rend my garments, gargle with cyanide, or weep incoherently in the corner. The writing has been somewhat subdued so far, but that makes sense for the part I'm currently playing. I like a great piece of dramatic, even over the top, writing just as much as the next guy. I just want it at the appropriate spot in the story and well written.

NWN2 shares some great attributes with KotOR2, without being burdened by its shortcomings.

YET. I'll be on the lookout and I will call them as I see them during the game.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The one thing that bothers me is the party control. Is there an option to make it possible to select the character you wish to control just by clicking on their character avatar and not the portrait? I've gotten used to doing this in all the IE games, so its pretty annoying when I think I've issued orders only to have someone else execute them after the unpause.

This bothers me as well. It would also be cool if you could simply right-click the Character's portrait to bring up it's inventory panel.

Yep, gotta agree on this one too. It's taken me a long while to get used to selecting the actual portrait rather than the character on screen. I don't know how many times I've moved my fighter away from a perfect doorway position because I though I was controlling someone else. Still, this is something I'll get used to over time, like the camera.

Yep, gotta agree on this one too. It's taken me a long while to get used to selecting the actual portrait rather than the character on screen. I don't know how many times I've moved my fighter away from a perfect doorway position because I though I was controlling someone else. Still, this is something I'll get used to over time, like the camera.

AFAIK there is such an option. Im playing with it turned on.

"NWN2 shares some great attributes with KotOR2, without being burdened by its shortcomings."

To comapre NWN2 to KOTOR2 is embarassing for NWN2. NWN2, even with the pedestrian mains tory, is light years ahead of KOTOR2. Light years. The KOTOR series is a joke compared to the glory that is NWN series. KOTOR series does NOTHING better than the NWN series. Nothing.

For instance, KOTOR2's tutorial was boring and did nothing worthwhile. NWN2's tutorial introuced intertesting characters, and had some neat stuff go on.

NWN2 > KOTOR2.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yes, volo. Yes, volo.

Does anybody know why Highcliff has only ONE shop and its the armourer? Where the hell do I go to buy some weapons, for example? Fort Locke only has a priest.

Yes, volo. Yes, volo.

Does anybody know why Highcliff has only ONE shop and its the armourer? Where the hell do I go to buy some weapons, for example? Fort Locke only has a priest.

Highcliff also has a weaponsmith. Hes marked on the map. In Fort Locke there is a priest, a smith and also a trader. The smith is to the left as soon as you enter the fort.

However I assume that whether the trader is there or not depends on your actions earlier in the game. But there should be at least 2 shops in Fort Locke.

Edited by metadigital

AFAIK there is such an option. Im playing with it turned on.

Played around with it a bit and think I got it to work. Open up your Menu and go into Game Options, look for the "Game Options" window under the General tab. Click the box to enable "Possess Companion as Default Action". Now when you click on each of your companions you can control them w/o having to click on their portrait.

Is there a keymapping to cycle through your party members?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Yeah, me too. But I'd prefer a cycle key. This would be more important if the game was a bit more challenging, but the way things are going so far, the only strategy I usually is need ganging up on my enemies.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I don't like that it's installing all sorts of .NET stuff on my system.  Not that I mind it in particular, but why?  I guess I'll find out.

Wow, it's already installing an 87MB patch.  haha.  I actually take that as a good sign, however.  It's like when Diablo 2 had a patch available before the release date.  It shows a conscientious approach to the consumer.

Ah, I see, they're actually mods.  Wonderful.  That's great.  It's taking a while to install all the updates, but I don't mind.  I'm just glad to have time to spend on the boards for a while while I wait.

.NET Framework 2.0 is pretty much a requiredment for most games, it's nothing evil, it's a bunch of good stuff that devs use.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Now about 5 hours in (I'm a certified pause-whore, so I'm probably going slower than most). Had my first crash-to-desktop when I tried to go to the 2nd floor of the Inn where you meet the dwarf. When I realized that my last save was the autosave before leaving West Harbor, I decided that it was time for bed (the area transition alone took several minutes). Hopefully, the crash won't repeat itself.

Story has been interesting. I'm getting the hang of the UI.

So far, the level progression is too fast for my tastes. I'm quietly hoping that this was only done to get through the very low levels where one enemy crit-hit can take you down, but I'm not very optimistic on this count.

Bevil reminded me of Carth. Looked some what like him, whined like him and his voice was similiar.

:rolleyes: I knew he reminded me of someone.

EDIT: (it was kind of spoilerish)

Bevil's not so bad.

He is a good sword arm. The only good use I can think of.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Bevil reminded me of Carth. Looked some what like him, whined like him and his voice was similiar.

:rolleyes: I knew he reminded me of someone.

EDIT: (it was kind of spoilerish)

Bevil's not so bad.

He is a good sword arm. The only good use I can think of.

He can make soup! And, and, and carry wood!

I don't know how many people here tend to sell everything they find to one merchant, but I was doing it for awhile and found out something interesting. Merchants have a fixed pool of gold, so they can only buy so many things from you before they run out of money. If you never purchase from them, sooner or later you may not be able to sell to them either. It's a small bit of added realism, but nice nonetheless.

So far, the level progression is too fast for my tastes.  I'm quietly hoping that this was only done to get through the very low levels where one enemy crit-hit can take you down, but I'm not very optimistic on this count.

it stays relatively fast up through 10th or so level... i think i'm 13th now, and the last three levels have taken about 1/3 of my total play time (about 25 hours).

since there are about 18-20 levels woth of gain in this game, and i'm half way or so, i'm guessing the level up speed has, well, levelled off.

NWN1 was the same way. a 40-50 hour game and most finished around 16-17th level first time through.

they sort of have to do this for several reasons, IMO. one, as you note, to get through the low-level instadeath problem. the second is simply because of the story. you're eventually dealing with powers that are trying to take down a whole city. 5th level parties aren't up to the task of dealing with the higher level NPCs driving the story. this means lots of levels. if the game paced them all a little slower, it would be 100 hours or more of gameplay, which is unreasonable to expect.

really, if you think about it, each fairly major area (e.g. owls well, etc.) would qualify as a separate module in PnP. this whole game would take a year (or more) to get through playing 10 hours a week in PnP.

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.