1. 1. What should Obsidian do?

• Addons for NWN2!
    • Another D&D-game
    • A game based on Vampire: Requiem
    • A new IP
    • KOTOR III GODDAMMIT!

That or a prison rpg. Bow one way, bend over the other. :D

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The Sega project is 100% Obsidians IP, and PNJ is no Bio-handmedown project. So what's now left for the NWN2 team? Addons? Kotor3? I say it's time for a BG3!!!!

****in A I say.

Have they not nailed the coffin shut on BG over at Bioware? Is it possible they might restart the third game?

I would go mental if that happened.

I hope they leave it dead. BG story is done and spiritual successors can be named something else.

I for one don't want entirely different writers who have most likely different goals and targets in mind to touch the BG saga. What the heck would you base a third game around anyway? Bhaalspawn's progeny? Seems like grasping at straws to me.

Can we agree that an original IP at least has a lot more potential?

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

The Sega project is 100% Obsidians IP, and PNJ is no Bio-handmedown project. So what's now left for the NWN2 team? Addons? Kotor3? I say it's time for a BG3!!!!

****in A I say.

Have they not nailed the coffin shut on BG over at Bioware? Is it possible they might restart the third game?

I would go mental if that happened.

last year or has it been two now ? there was mention on BG3 being a prequel ... in a pcgamer d&d anniversary issue, but every since then nothing has been said no developer was mentioned or if the project was scrapped ... nothing

if there were a BG3, it would likely revolve around the sword coast (and baldur's gate, obviously), but i doubt it would be directly connected to the bhaal saga (that is, admittedly, done for all intents).

i wouldn't doubt if atari is looking around for someone to tackle it, however. simply from name recognition they could get sales. they made a bunch of hub-bub about it a few years back, fired their PR guy for saying too much, published an article about what it would be, then hushed up. they probably didn't have a developer, and now they're waiting to see who has the merit worthy of the name.

i wouldn't be surprised if we found out obsidian gets it in the end.

either way, all i really care about w.r.t. a BG3 would be a top-down, 3rd person isometric party-based game. i was thoroughly disappointed that TOEE failed to deliver well enough to continue the series. in spite of my criticism of the game, i always felt it had potential to be the next big series... they just needed more time (not that their failure to finish was or wasn't their own fault anyway, more time simply would have made the game more polished i think).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I hope they leave it dead. BG story is done and spiritual successors can be named something else.

I for one don't want entirely different writers who have most likely different goals and targets in mind to touch the BG saga. What the heck would you base a third game around anyway? Bhaalspawn's progeny? Seems like grasping at straws to me.

Can we agree that an original IP at least has a lot more potential?

I have to agree, on all points.

I don't. Only the unimaginative cna't figure out a way for there be a fitting BG3, and sicne were talking about a fantasy game; if you don't have imagination perhaps youa re interested in the wrong genre?

Again, there's LOTs of ways a BG3 cna be handled and do justice to the previous games.

I weep for my unimaginative co posters. I weep. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I have millions of times. I get the usal repsonses like 'dumb', 'stupid', 'unneeded', 'sounds good', 'possibly fun', 'fantastic', *shrug*, etc., etc.

Those responses are boring to read now so I'll pass. I'll let YOU use YOUR imagination to imagine what a Volournian BG3 would be like.

:)

it would appear that the IWD games are less beholden to a specific story arc than the BG games and might be, perhaps, the best bet for a new Obsidian RPG.

in fact, rumor has it that Obsidian owns the rights to IWD outright and, if that is true, might suggest a new title in that line.

however, any "3-legged stool" that is D&D should be NWNs.....no need to fret so much about multiplayer in a new game. NWNs 2 will have that base covered.

that could be true, plano. though, since atari owns BG3 rights, they can hand that off to any developer they choose, and based on the original mess with that, i'd say they had not handed it off at the time. as a result, it may still be up for grabs.

as i stated, all i care about is the top-down iso view, with party-based play. for some reason, that seems to me to be the "ultimate" D&D on a PC experience... can't explain why, though it is probably rooted in my history with the old gold box games.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

You'd think it was easy to do a D&D crpg from a different perspective though. I think we are just very very biased(not in a bad way) thanks to the fact that that top-down crpg style has been the best way so far that a D&D crpg has been handled.

Well, it's almost the only way.

kirottu said:

I have millions of times. I get the usal repsonses like 'dumb', 'stupid', 'unneeded', 'sounds good', 'possibly fun', 'fantastic', *shrug*, etc., etc.

Those responses are boring to read now so I'll pass. I'll let YOU use YOUR imagination to imagine what a Volournian BG3 would be like.

:)

Maybe we're not the one who's wrong then. :)"

Cut the conservatism, folks. Should we have stuck the fork in Star Wars after the first trilogy? The second trilogy was certainly ****, but KOTOR would also have been "unnecessary" by those terms.

I agree that the Bhaalspawn saga is over and done with, that much should be obvious. But even if several games take place within the FR, they all might as well take place in different universes, as things like NWN and BG aren't connected much beyond the geographic backdrop of Faerun. And I wouldn't even expect those two franchises to touch each other, seeing how they tell different stories.

I loved BG, I loved the feel of it, not in its look but in the relatively nuanced way it presented its world in comparison to other trite fantasy games. It was a long, deep kind of game. Even with the Bhaalspawn epic over, the death of BG means the death of that kind of game, because I've certainly never seen an equal in any games thus far (hopefully that can change with NWN2, but I doubt it) I loved the BG world, which dipped liberally into the established and deep history of the FR but wasn't a slave to it. I loved the characters, who I would kill to see again in another game.

But that's the thing. The epic's over, but that doesn't mean it's exhausted its potential. BG might as well have never existed in any another FR game. That's what sequels are for. I'm not convinced it should be dead. The closure of a storyline is no reason to retire it. I'd want for something like a Fallout 2, which figures the original game's story and setting prominently, but whose main focus is entirely different.

Edited by Pop

"rumor has it that Obsidian owns the rights to IWD outright and"

A more solid 'rumour' is that they own some art assests outright.

"No BG3. That story is over and done with."

No, no it isn't. The lack of imagination in this thread is really, really sad. There's more imagination in POR2's forced feat lineup than in this thread.

:rolleyes::blink::(:(:(

"Maybe we're not the one who's wrong then."

Please reread that post again. Not everyone disagreed with the ideas. The ones who did disagree simply lack imagination so I ignore their opinions as I only pay attention to imaginative opinions.

Edited by Volourn

"No BG3. That story is over and done with."

No, no it isn't. The lack of imagination in this thread is really, really sad. There's more imagination in POR2's forced feat lineup than in this thread.

:rolleyes:  :blink:  :(  :(  :(

Of course it done. You killed a demi god and either become a god yourself or a miserable mortal. Not much to do with this. You either live happily ever after or you don't.

Game Over aka BG series is done. Over. No more.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

"ToB proved the story was over."

No, it didn't. TOB proved that someone with imagination could continue the Bg saga NO PROBLEM.

"Not much to do with this. You either live happily ever after or you don't."

You don't need to play the PC from BG1 or BG2, and still continue the BG saga.

Game over.

Edited by Volourn