What should Obsidian do?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. What should Obsidian do?

• Addons for NWN2!
    • Another D&D-game
    • A game based on Vampire: Requiem
    • A new IP
    • KOTOR III GODDAMMIT!

I would like to see a new IP. Don't let my stupid name and avatar fool you. I've been over Star Wars since about a week after the release of RotS. I liked KotOR 2 but think that it was riddled with technical problems and huge gaps in the storyline. I wouldn't mind seeing a third KotOR to finish out the trilogy, but, I just don't think OE should be the dev house to do it.

Why?

Not because they didn't do a good job with the second installment, they did the best they could under the conditions provided to them by the publisher. And also, that was this company's very first game, and I can't think of a bigger project to cut your new teeth on. :wub:

No, I would like to see them do a new IP precisely because of what they did on KotOR 2. The concept of the storyline in that game was indeed very deep and mature. I'm not talking about the actual aspects of the gameplay in and of itself. I'm referring directly to the main storyline. I won't go into it here even though the game has been out for about 2 years now. You can check the KotOR 2 spoiler section for all that. But suffice it to say, the storyline was original, deep, and unique and screamed for an IP, in my opinion.

I said back then, and I'll say it now. I REALLY would like to see MCA and co. dig deep into their own creativity and give us an RPG that is set in a totally original setting with completely original characters. Like how PS:T was when it first came out.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, isn't one of Obsidian's projects a console (new IP) project with Sega? Anyway, that is the right way to do a new IP in today's climate...console and with a big name publisher.

I don't want Obsidian to go the way of Troika with really good, buggy games and no marketing or tech support to speak of. Best to limit IPs to console and with the backing of one of the big boys.

PC titles should be safe bets, IMO, at least until Obsidian can afford to have a disaster happen and still survive.

I'd like to see one of the older D&D properties brought to life: Dark Sun, Dragonlance, etc. Anything with the letters D&D would sell well, especially with the kind of quality Obsidian would put into it.

I agree that Obsidian probably would not touch post-apocalyptic anytime soon. So, I'm thinking a space RPG using the Mass Effect engine under license might be the way to go for a multi-platform title. :D

the new lieroX has online play...dunno how well it works, though.

The last time I played it (a year or two ago), it just didn't feel like Liero. The physics didn't feel the same.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Actually the topic is pretty open.

P.S. FR is generic.  :p

You're talking crazy talk :shifty:

actually, the Forgotten Realms setting is "generic", and intentionally so.

Dragonlance/Krynn, for instance, is "high romantic/high epic" fantasy.

it would be hard to do a Dragonlance campaign that did not involve the pending apocalypse.

in Forgotten Realms, just as with Greyhawk or Mystara, you can dress it up or dress it down. you can have an epic situation if you really want but the setting does not dictate such. some settings do....

FR is pretty generic, that is why it is the most often used fantasy setting on the computer front and why I no longer use it in my PnP game.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"