Anyone looking forward to FF12?

Azure79

What's wrong with that? I'd hit it. :D

That's even more disturbing than the picture.

If all the right bits are of a female human then all is well with the world. :lol:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Final Fantasy 8 was awesome.

Game over.

I enjoyed FF8 except for a few things - "Drawing" magic from your enemies, Guardian Force summons and the "grade" system at the Academy. Drawing magic was probably the most annoying thing out of all the FF games I played, even more so than watching the lengthy summons over and over. FF8 had a good story and the soundtrack was the best of the series.

Those flaws, despite being what they are, probably made FF8's final boss the most enjoyable one in the series for me. Since I had barely drawn any magic and was relying too much on summons, it was really neat to have the roles reversed as the GF's were being decimated and put on the role of last-minute shields for my characters, as I tried to actually deal damage with the limited amount of magic I had - all while the boss was destroying my magic *and* stats at the same time. In that context, having the extra boss forms was pretty neat. That redeemed the game's battle system for me.

I would not, in a million years, replay it, though.

I don't know how many hours you logged on FF8 but I had maxed mine out at 100hrs. Alot of that was from leaving my Playstation on while having a controller with turbo features hooked up and then setting the game cursor to memory so I could draw max amount of magic from all the different enemies w/o being there. :lol:

Edited by Setzer

Those flaws, despite being what they are, probably made FF8's final boss the most enjoyable one in the series for me. Since I had barely drawn any magic and was relying too much on summons, it was really neat to have the roles reversed as the GF's were being decimated and put on the role of last-minute shields for my characters, as I tried to actually deal damage with the limited amount of magic I had - all while the boss was destroying my magic *and* stats at the same time. In that context, having the extra boss forms was pretty neat. That redeemed the game's battle system for me.

Wow, I had a challenging time and I ended up getting everything.

I can't imagine what it must have been like without using magic all that time. :lol:

Wow, I had a challenging time and I ended up getting everything.

I can't imagine what it must have been like without using magic all that time. :lol:

It was very fun having a limited amount of Ultima/Meteo/Flare/whatever to dish out a decent amount of damage, and then have the boss shatter it completely. 'Jolly crap, you destroyed my Ultima'. Hehehehehe. This was especially cool given the direct link to stats. Using up the powerful magic linked to Strength led to pathetic physicals and so on. Very cool.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

FFVIII was ridiculously easy, because you could use Quistis' blue magic of I-forget-name that would 'black hole' any single enemy and instantly kill it. Only on regular enemies, but you could do it with Island Closest to Hell and I.C.t.Heaven and get up to level 100 really fast.

And even if you didn't, limit breaks become incredibly powerful, and triple aura/haste combinations are awesome. It was definitely easier than most other FFs.

But then, I beat the ultimate weapon of FF8 in about 2 minutes, so... :p

"And FF8 sucked ass."

LOL FF8 is the best FF ever, and only FF6 comes close.

Tigranes, except the fact enemies level up too though I presume at 100 they are still no match. I could never waste my time levelling that high. I usually ended the game at level 40-50 maximum (played it 3 times).

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

There are only very few battles where your high levels give you a disadvantage, one of them being the Ultimate Weapon. Who is so freaking easy it doesn't matter anyway - I had once prepared Heroes and other rare items to use, and ended up beating him with magic and limit breaks.

When I first got FF8 I was 10 and it was my first RPG of any sort. It was also my only game on the PS. So I did end up putting +100 hours into it and doing pretty much everything.

...then BG2 came out. :wub:

I hated FF8 because of the draw system, junction system, and the story after the end of disc 2. That whole "Oh, every character in the game grew up in the same orphanage but we didn't know it!" thing was stupid, and Ultimecia is the worst villain ever. The Seifer/Squall rivalry has no closure and was much more interesting than "Sorceress from the future wants to destroy reality just because she can!"

None of the characters were at all interesting except for Squall, because he's the only one who even gets any development.

I hated the junction system because it made levelling pointless. Without junctioning you had a level 80 character with 160 hit points. In a game where the max is 9999 thats sad.

The first disc was excellent, 2nd disc was pretty good, but they don't make up for the bad 2nd disc and horrible 4th.

My FF scale of cooliosity goes:

FF6, FF10, FF7, FF9, FF4, FF5, FF8. Haven't played the rest.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Oerwinde, it should drive you into further depths of despair that I could have a level 5 character with 3000 health within the first hour of the game (D-something.. Dolbet? Dolret? Delret? Deekin? misison), then promptly fight against enemies doing 80 damage for the rest of CD1. :shifty:

Oerwinde, it should drive you into further depths of despair that I could have a level 5 character with 3000 health within the first hour of the game (D-something.. Dolbet? Dolret? Delret? Deekin? misison), then promptly fight against enemies doing 80 damage for the rest of CD1. :)

The whole game angered me. The only way I was able to actually finish it was to play Legend of Dragoon for a couple days beforehand. After that FF8 was a masterpiece.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"That whole "Oh, every character in the game grew up in the same orphanage but we didn't know it!" thing was stupid,"

Yeah, that was contrived. I rolled my eyes at that. Worst part of the game no doubt.

One thing I love about it (not the most important) was the graphics. I cna play FF8 still, and I stilla dmire the graphics. The opening cutscene alone is still, perhaps, the best opening of any game ever.

The opening cutscene alone is still, perhaps, the best opening of any game ever.

Agreed, and adding the incredible music in that perticular cutscene made it to an even better intro than any other.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I like reading a good book but I also like playing RPG's with a GOOD story. What's the f'ing point in spending 50-100hrs playing a game with a boring storyline?

Ask those who play MMOs. :rolleyes:

I kid... I kid...well, except in the case of SWG.

MMO's are nothing more than a glorified chat room. :(

Sadly even less, they simply forgot the 'rpg' always...

IB1OsQq.png

Yup. Ther'rs the dance sequence, and the 'romance in space' scenes as well. I'm sure some will call those scenes 'cheesy'; but I don't care. The cutscenes are just wow. Best cutscenes ever. And, the game was made years ago.

The FF series has some of the more memorable stories and characters, although I've only played two of them myself: FFVII and FFVIII, because they came out for PC. I liked them both, and wish they'd port over FFX. The rest I don't care about (but in all fairness, my kid hasn't got to FFVI yet). Shame about XI being an MMO.

I do look forward to Square releases, and there are only a couple that I actively dislike. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any way of predicting that. X-2's reviews were good, and a lot of people liked it; I didn't (lame dialogue, sloooww initial pacing, too much extra padding to make up for lack of content.) IMO, this was exactly the same situation as with Advent Children (showing what happened to the characters afterward), and would have made a better movie than game. But that's just my opinion :rolleyes:. (Somehow I feel the need for an emoticon with a fire extinguisher, but I'm graphics-challenged.)

I've followed FFXII and it sounds kind of iffy. Music has always been a big part of the FF games, but XII has only a couple tracks by Uematso; the rest is unimpressive. The characters look to be modeled well enough, but I hope they've given some serious thought to character development, because the storyline sounds only so-so. The battle system doesn't really matter, if there's nothing to capture and hold the imagination. Too many games like that already.

But in any case, I have enough questions that this will be a 'used game' purchase, as in not full-price. I wish it didn't have to be that way, and I hope it proves me wrong.

I've followed FFXII and it sounds kind of iffy.  Music has always been a big part of the FF games, but XII has only a couple tracks by Uematso; the rest is unimpressive.

I was kinda dissapointed when I learned Mr. Uematso wasn't doing the entire soundtrack but I bought it when it was released in August and actually think it's really good. It's no where near the best of the series, that goes to FF8, but Mr. Sakimoto(Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, Radiant Silvergun) did a nice job.

One thing about eight was that you could farm the first dungeon and reach max level because the bad guys ALWAYS scaled to your level.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.