XP's processes - what's neccesary?

LadyCrimson

I apparently have 25 running and I have no idea whether I need them all. I've been Googling for a list of the minimum required to run Windows so I can at least start by knowing what absolutely NOT to disable, but so far all I've found is this one:

http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm

Which I find rather confusing, since it has multiple tables with some of the same file names and...anyone know of a better list? Or can rattle them off?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I had to check it. I have 25 and 32 respectively on my two work machines.

I'll have to check the one at home later.

I vaguely remember a site that had explanations on all the processes for XP. Unfortunately I have no clue what the site was called, but at least I know there is one out there.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Was just curious. Supposedly a lot of them are unneccesary for everage user and may slow ya down a bit etc. Some people I know like to shut almost all of them down...like have only around 8 going...thought it might be interesting to check it out. :wub:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think it has to do with this "svchost" program, which replicates itself to 5 or 6 processes periodically for some reason. It's a local network service. None o' my warez detectors are flagging it as bad.

they aren't really "replicates." many otherwise unnamed processes are run with svchost as the starter engine (of sorts). this goes for many other programs, too. i.e. each svchost process is (probably) unique controlling a different service. you can browse around your services (in control panel typically under "administrative tools" or similar) and see how every one is started. for example, my network connections app has a "path to executable" line like this:

C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

so svchost is running netsvcs, but the same executable is run for my COM+ application (probably with different input parameters).

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

Right now, have 30 processes running, but that includes couple of IM programs and this webpage... so figure to have around 27 or so, when i'm not online. Thanks for providing that list of service up there... managed to close out a half dozen or so services i didn't need :(

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

I have 31 processes running right now. This includes browser, anti-virus, anti-spyware, IM's, a couple programs that were installed with certain pieces of hardware (stuff that came with my Audigy2 and my Logitech mouse/keyboard). Also have Seti@home running in the background as well. :(

I saved different profiles, one with bare minimum processes running and one with the normal processes.

I ended up not keeping it, even though it was a lot faster, because invariably there would be a process that I needed.

Now I just hibernate rather than shutdown most of the time, so I don't have to wait the ten minutes for start-up. :lol:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT