Just got Gothic 3...

Zagor

In a situation like that does one cut the developers some slack because they tried to implement something amibitious and far beyond the simplicity of a KotoR? Or do you blast them for being so incompetent and making a game which is for all intents so totally b0rked that it won't really ever be fixed?

I'm not sure personally how I feel about it. On the one hand I think we should strive for ambitious games like Gothic 3, but if I had spent $60 US on it, I wouldn't be too happy.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Me and blast them? G3 is just a step back in my book, that's all. World's bigger, graphics better, but the meat's weaker. Maybe my taste over all these years just changed. Whatever. It just isn't so addictive as the previous games used to be, thus it cannot be saved by mere patches anymore.

Edited by Morgoth

Me and blast them? G3 is just a step back in my book, that's all. World's bigger, graphics better, but the meat's weaker. Maybe my taste over all these years just changed. Whatever. It just isn't so addictive as the previous games used to be, thus it cannot be saved by mere patches anymore.

I wasn't referring to you directly, just in general.

SOme of the most buggy and unplayable games have been some of the most ambitious. Battlecruiser 3000AD and Daggerfall and Falcon 3.0 for example. Now Gothic 3. When a developer pushes really hard for something ambitious often their reach is goign to exceed their grasp. But shsoudl they still be encouraged anyway.

Daggerfall ended up being mostly playable as long as you saved a lot. And was a game I enjoyed immensely.

Battlecruiser ended up being kinda playable.

Falcon 3.0 finally mostly worked after a year or so worth of major patching and became something of a flight sim legend.

For the young'uns:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlecruiser_3000AD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_3.0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scr..._II:_Daggerfall

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I don't think that interview is as honest as people claim. I honestly don't think they'r eebing honest with themselves even; let alone the fans....

'Tis a shame. ;)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

What I derived from the interview is that most of the effort during development was spent into Genome and it's tools, less about the game. They're after all, a very small team, so they had to prioritize their efforts. They surely should reorganize (and hiring new staff) the team, divide the team roughly in tech group (tools, implementation of intern and third party stuff etc.) and setup a content team (design, art, game programming, scripting/writing) that is wholly dedicated to the game itself.

Edited by Morgoth

And become EA. No thanks. Gothic and Gothic 2 are two of the best games I've ever played, and they managed those two using their existing team. This time around (as he explained) they were building the engine from the ground up on the vision they've had from the first game in the series: to make the world react to everything the player wants to do. And, as he admits, that didn't work out as well as they had hoped, as the story became buried in the game. They should (logically) do better in the add-on. It's not official yet, but I know the Piranha Bytes team is dying to redeem themselves with the add-on.

Then we'll see what they'll work on next. I, too, feel the Gothic series is completed. The Nameless story is done. I'm hoping they'll continue making RPG's with huge gameworlds and open ended gameplay, but everything else is exchangeable.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

And become EA. No thanks.

Becoming like EA by improving important workflow and team organization? :crazy:

Then we'll see what they'll work on next. I, too, feel the Gothic series is completed. The Nameless story is done. I'm hoping they'll continue making RPG's with huge gameworlds and open ended gameplay, but everything else is exchangeable.

Huge yes, but not too huge and comparably shallow like G3. As Kai said, the "soul" of Gothic 3 lacks. I myself think Genome has tons of potential with increased player-input/reaction ratio. I'm all for more atmospheric and interactive worlds instead of all that Hollywood movie-cutscene crap some devs are pursuing and claiming as Next-Gen stuff, but G3 still felt too repetitive and shallow. Not necesarrily due to the half-finished Genome engine, more about the fact that they neglected the game a wee too much. That's why they should have a tech group that is separately (and ahead) working to the content team. No EA mutation necessary.

EA is awesome. EA makes good, fun games that aren't buggy and tend to play well.

Gothic 3 is a decent game. Fa better than either earlier Gothic game that's for sure. It has its weaknesses, and its strengths.

:)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Morgoth wins :)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

A moderator on JoWood's official board translated a german post by one of the developers on Gothic's biggest fan site. I thought it was an interesting read. I love that he's honest enough to admit that they failed in a lot of aspects and are now working hard to redeem themselves.

Failed in allot of aspects?

Lolz you know b4 I was defending this game, thinking that the same devs who made Gothic 1 would at least make a worthy successor.

How is it that the first game in the series has more story & plotline than its steroid jazzed descendant?

It

Bankai - "Zabimaru Howl !"

• 2 months later...

>_<

ANYHOW.. finally some news (semi-official) about the upcoming patch. It will be huge (size-wise).

# Is the patch confirmed? Yes.

# ETA: Unknown. PB / JoWooD will only announce it when they are sure to ship on time.

# KaiRo said they

I think the game is in prety sad state right now, so the patch size is to be expected. I'm thinking Ultima:Ascension bad here.

I hope they re-release Gothic 3 in some kind of Gold Edition eventually. Downloading over a gig of files for a patch doesn't sound inviting at all.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

• 1 month later...

I don't think anybody can fix Gothic 3.

It was very enjoyable for me even in 1.00 state though. If you play a freaking game when it hangs for 2 seconds every minute, then it's damn good.

I really hope this isn't true. I mean, I've been holding off on playing the game that I ****ing pre-ordered half a year ago just because of this promised patch! I will be plenty pissed if they've lied to me.

I find the concept of a patch in GB size to be fascinating!

I find it to be prohibitive.

Now it's not just a matter of having broadband for multiplayer games, you've got to have it just to get the game that they were supposed to have delivered in the first place?

Truly, the gaming industry has passed me by.

Oh well.