Just got Gothic 3...

Zagor

Is this the big one? Is it time to finally play this darned game that's been sat idle on the shelf for a year now?

What do you mean with "Big one"? If you mean the one that was supposed to replace most world meshes, then the answer is no. Piranha and NoGood broke off over that matter. However, there're also fixes from Spellbound (the dudes that now make Gothic4). It's a quite impressive list, and even more impressive that NoGood actually paid the Community coders, too.

I say go for it! It's prolly the last patch anyways.

Edited by Morgoth

Now I applied the patch, and it still runs like a hog. It's like no-patch vs. with patch makes no difference whatsoever. In that regard, I fail to see why NoGood tried supporting such a crippled game in the first place.

Your computer sucks, get a new one. It runs fine on mine and even great after the patch, even though I had to restart the entire adventure from scratch (which was kind of annoying seeing as I was level 75+ with only a few broken steps of the main quest to go..). I haven't had a Guru crash or Stack overflow crash since installing 1.6. By the way, try running an unpatched version of Gothic 3 first and then install the 1.6 patch, if you think it doesn't do anything! I'm getting 10-15% better framerates, a lot less stuttering, improved loading/saving times and a BILLION little odd bugs removed.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

• 2 months later...

Expansion for Gothic 3 confirmed!

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=132124

Called Forsaken Gods. Even though I hate myself for it, I know I'll be getting this. On release day. Without waiting for reviews :(

Yeah, I played a few hours of Gothic 3 and loved it, but it was so unplayable on my crap machine (also, that was 1.00 that would CD-check every 50 seconds and freeze), I'm waiting till something like next year. :(

Yeah, I played a few hours of Gothic 3 and loved it, but it was so unplayable on my crap machine (also, that was 1.00 that would CD-check every 50 seconds and freeze), I'm waiting till something like next year. :(

Yeah, the last couple of patches actually removed the CD check completely. I'm playing the game with my Collector's Edition box stored safely somewhere else. It's almost like a No-CD patch...

I guess they don't care anymore. It already sold 500,000+ copies.

I would think so, yes. It will be interesting to see how they handle the Gothic expansion. If they pull it off, I'll have high hopes for Gothic 4.

Do you think the expansion will make further improvements on the engine and bug fixes the way MotB did for NWN2? I've still held off playing Gothic 3 in the hopes that the version I finally do play one day will be very stable and bug-free.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I'm not sure. On the one hand, Spellbound managed to stop the crashing and the memory leaks in Gothic 3 with the last patch. It has not crashed for me once since that patch, impressively enough. On the other hand.. Well, the stuttering is still there, and for the first five minutes of starting a session, it is actually worse than pre-patch for me. At first I thought they really screwed up on that one, but whenever I play for longer than five minutes, the stuttering all but disappears (maybe once every twenty minutes it randomly locks up for 1-2 seconds).

I have a feeling the engine may be so badly designed from the ground up that it will always stutter, no matter what (short of a complete rewrite). It matters less for me now since I've gotten used to it, but I can easily see how this would be annoying for someone a little less Gothic-enamoured than me..