Just got Gothic 3...

Zagor

No-one's terribly happy at the thought of releasing incomplete games with massive patches, but better that than leave the game unfinished. Some people have obviously played the game as it is and enjoyed it - how problematic is it? I never really paid much attention to the detail of the problems people were having because I knew (I thought) there was this massive patch coming up.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

It depends a bit on your computer and how low you are willing to lower the graphical standards.

The biggest problem with the game is that it's a resource hog without measure. So with a lesser computer there is a lot of stuttering and similar. And the graphics are a bit meh. However, a better computer will (probably) get at least better graphics and probably better performance as well.

Other bugs are mostly annoying more than actually game breaking. Skills that can't be learned and stuff like that. Some of that may even have been fixed in the first patch.

Some random crashes here and there.

But to me, the poor optimization (and thus horrible performance) is what desperately needs fixing. On my computer it looks like a game released 4 years ago, but plays about as bad as Oblivion with high settings.

There's no definite statement the patch is coming or not, just "maybe, maybe not". I think what PB initally (last year) wanted to do is to fix their broken Genome engine, in order to have a viable basis for future projects. Maybe they just thought they could fix some G3 stuff in addition, if feasable. But alas, it seems like they may have abandoned G3 completely in order to move on...they're a small team after all. Prolly even smaller than, let's say, Bio's Live Team. HA!

For the next project I wish a smaller, more focused project with a fixed Genome engine. It still has a ton of potential. And I also hope they still to what they're best at: Creating gameworlds, not game pieces of a world (a'la NWN2).

Edited by Morgoth

That link mkreku posted seems to pretty much say that patch support for G3 is continuing. I hope so, I still want to play this game.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/sh...ead.php?t=35753

Piranha Bytes (Gothic) and JoWooD get divorced

Fresh from the news wire - Piranha Bytes, developers of the Gothic series, have announced that, as of today, they're no longer working with JoWooD. According to the message, they've been negotiating since November 2006 about future products in the series and didn't come to an agreement. That said, they also won't be working on another patch for Gothic III.

So, Piranha Bytes are now looking for new opportunities, JoWooD still owns the Gothic brand. Somewhat unexpected but interesting development.

-Julian

Is it true?

Edited by funcroc

Oh well. There goes that plan. At least I never bought the game. Waiting to see what happens DOES pay off. Sometimes, anyway.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

JoWood just released a press statement. There will be a Gothic 4 for both PC and consoles, but they will hire a better developer than Piranha Bytes. One that will be able to deliver a bug-free product on time. Or something like that. It's in German.

Source: http://forum.jowood.de/showthread.php?t=142848

Source: http://www.google.com/translate_t

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

What a shame. :sad: It leaves me with no appetite to play this game that I've bought, though that could change in a few months.

I had fun with the unpatched (or did I apply the first patch? I can't remember) version, so I wouldn't ditch it completely.

I bet only some obscure developers from some eastern country will apply. Someone who hasn't heard of JoWood's crappiness yet.

Found this on JoWood's official board:

Gothic 4 -- What non-Pluto 13 company would you like to see develop Gothic 4?

Obsidian in North America. They are masters at RPG. But, they cannot work to a short schedule -- they must be given time to finish.
Obsidian is an interesting choice b/c I agree w/ you on your point that they are masters at the RPG scene.
Obsidian or Bioware are probably the best choices.

Source: http://forum.jowood.de/showthread.php?t=142987

I think these Gothic fans need a reality check.. :yucky:

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm.. I don't really know what to say, but..

JoWood and Piranha Bytes broke up. That means the original developers aren't allowed to continue work on their mega-patch. Instead JoWood got the responsibility. So what do they do? They hire fans, let them sign a NDA and give them the source code for Gothic 3! It has already resulted in two fan patches with 48 bug fixes!

I don't know if I'm impressed or horrified.

Gothic 3 Community Patch v1.2

Last update: 14.06.07, 20:08 O'clock

By Hans Trapp:

It was impossible to give Frithjof back his Fire chalice and so the quest could not be resolved.

By FreeSergey:

The Perks "Firemage" and "Improve armor" could not be learned; by now the teachers are Karrupto and Manning.

By Valfaris222:

Despite rebellions one could hear the sentence "As a smit there is always a job".

By AHO:

Vandorn in Vangard required a delivery of 15 instead of the requested 5 saws.

By buecherwurm93:

In Silden there was a slave that gave twice the amount of gold.

By Humanforce:

Numerous spelling and dialogue errors resolved.

By mdahm:

Finley attacks Trelis also, when Vak is dead and not longer only when he is at his target spot infront of Trelis where one can take him into the city.

By mdahm:

The Quest "Finley attacks Trelis" will not break up when one tells him about the siege prematurely. Crucial for this, that one can inform Finley about the siege, is no longer Vaks death, but the capture of Trelis.

By mdahm:

Tyler can now simply be taken to Trelis.

By mdahm:

When Vibald is unlocked as trader, he will also become teacher for the perk "Make Explosion Arrows".

By mdahm und Dungeon Master:

You won't get 500 gold anymore, when you give off Randall by Mannig for the quest "Okara needs more men"

By mdahm and Dungeon Master:

Leif becomes unlocked as teacher now, as he says, when you give him 10 Saberteeth, and no longer when one fulfills the quest "Hunt with Leif".

Ketil from the Hammerclan now gives for resolving the quest "Ketil needs 12 Bisonskins" 3 Ore as promised and not 3 gold.

When one had brought in all the men for the quest "Okara needs more men" and one says to Mannig "Do you need something?" before saying "out there there is no one left", previously the latter option disappeared and the quest could not be resolved.

By mdahm:

The buggy and textless dialog options for learning the Paladin-perk with Rhobar are now gone. The perk is now learnable by Rhobar by saying "teach me something".

When you speak with Tippler, the dialog option "I want ale" will appear now only once the hero has found out he needs to bring around ale for Mojok.

By Humanforce:

One did not get the browniepoints from Marik when one brought him the goldlist from Ashton.

By Humanforce:

For the quest from Vasco in Ben Erai it was not necessary to kill all the Sandcrawlers to resolve the quest.

By Kronos912:

The quest "test of the Assassins" did not resolve. Now this happens in dialog with Zuben.

By zyankali~:

Summoned creatures will die now when the sentence "Go back now" is said.

Speechfixes by zyankali~:

These fixes are for missing or wrong dialogues.

They are for the following NPCs: Musan, Quadir, Nafalem, Amul, Benito, Ningal, Garik, Mamuk,

and Sigmor (German only)

By Unbekannt:

Corrected the stunlock of the hero by quick attacks, especially by wild boars.

By NicoDE:

The console will no longer be shown distorted.

By Unbekannt:

Reduces the noise of the flame sword.

By WernerTWC:

This Patch solves the problem which came along with the official Patch 1.12.

Like in the

That's quite impressive.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The unofficial Morrowind patch (ie the one made by fans) fixed something over 1000 bugs that Bethesda couldn't be bothered to fix. Most of them were minor, true, but still....