Valve's Portal demonstration

JE Sawyer said:

"Valve's Portal demonstration, ever watched the portal demo...on weed?!"

A teenager around here got some weed with PCP in it - or something like that.

Weed is not FDA approved, you know.

Sometimess the punk who sells it is not exactly socially conscious and responsible.

Anyway the kid who used this stuff got so hyped he ran around like a maniac.

Eventually he ran right through a plate glass window.

Broken glass and blood everywhere!

He died right there - in a pool of blood in somebodies living room. :wub:

He probably could have used some of that portal technology. :wub:

Or maybe just stayed off the weed. :)

Edited by Colrom

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

Errrrrrrrrrrrm :) :S

"Ever [performed a mundane everyday activity] on weed?"

- Experience Smoker from Half-Baked, played by Jon Stewart.

Meanwhile, does this Portal have any rude portals shaped like a lady's bits? Prey does.

Edited by Surreptishus

The scene where you're falling through the floor via multiple portals made me dizzy.

Looks pretty neat.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's unusual for the charcter to be rendered in game, as it's typically not necessary (this is why you don't cast a shadow in Doom 3).

It's becoming more common though.  Well, unless they find a way to cast shadows in games like Farcry in a different way.

What about in co-op?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What happens if you shoot a portal into a portal and than go into it? Do you become trapped?

Edited by Craigboy2

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

It's unusual for the charcter to be rendered in game, as it's typically not necessary (this is why you don't cast a shadow in Doom 3).

It's becoming more common though.  Well, unless they find a way to cast shadows in games like Farcry in a different way.

What about in co-op?

Hmmmm...you know what.....you may be right.

I am clearly rendered (as the other person sees me). I don't know if our character models actually cast shadows or not. I'm pretty sure I don't, to myself.

Hmmm

What about in co-op?

Hmmmm...you know what.....you may be right.

I am clearly rendered (as the other person sees me). I don't know if our character models actually cast shadows or not. I'm pretty sure I don't, to myself.

Hmmm

Maybe in single player you don't have a body and in co-op you do.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

What happens if you shoot a portal into a portal and than go into it? Do you become trapped?

Don't cross the portals ... It would be bad ... Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light ... Total protonic reversal.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Don't cross the portals ... It would be bad ... Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light ... Total protonic reversal.

Its, "Dont cross the streams," not portals. :lol: But Alan is right. Ghostbusters is a great movie.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Get the original portal game, Narbacular Drop, here (www.nuclearmonkeysoftware.com)

It's short, but fun. Valve liked it enough to hire the entire team to make a new game based on the same concepts, except using the source engine. It's definitely looking like I'll buy this one.

• 2 weeks later...
I just got this Prey mod that let's you make your own portals, so maybe Valve's Portal doesn't own Prey as much as I thought.

post-1750-1154469036_thumb.jpg

Trippy.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

That game looks simply awesome.

In fact, both of those here do, especially considering Prey now has a mod which allows you to make your own portals. One thing I noticed on Portal though, does it have any other weapons apart from your portalmakermachine? I can imagine it being a little more awesome if not, since you actually have to think about what you do before you do it, instead of shooting stuff mindlessly. Intellectually challenging, I believe is the word.

Plus, the room for experimentation seems great, as Bok has already demonstrated! :)

Edited by Petay