Valve's Portal demonstration

That game looks simply awesome.

In fact, both of those here do, especially considering Prey now has a mod which allows you to make your own portals. One thing I noticed on Portal though, does it have any other weapons apart from your portalmakermachine? I can imagine it being a little more awesome if not, since you actually have to think about what you do before you do it, instead of shooting stuff mindlessly. Intellectually challenging, I believe is the word.

Plus, the room for experimentation seems great, as Bok has already demonstrated! :lol:

I wonder if you could make an endless stream of bullets

[------]

[= portal A

]= portal B

------= bullets

now imagine that were covering a hallway... so the stream would always kill whatever was trying to exit a door. or better yet put a portal in front of you and behind them so they shoot themselves in the back.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I can imagine that as being impossible, unless you were some kind of crazy person that could slow down time. Think about it, if you were to shoot the bullets into the first portal, there's a high chance that they would come straight back through the other one and kill you before you had the chance to duck/move out of th e way. Maybe if you shot them in at an angle however...

This looks like the type of game that might develop competition between people, but not for a single player game. I migt quit after the seventh puzzle or so...

If money is the root of all evil.....why is the world not destroyed?

The bullets would slow down eventually, so no that idea wouldn't work calax.

this is a game. I don't think programmers ever think to include bullets into the physics engine that much.

I would laugh at a bunch of guys cowering behind a wall when all of a sudden six portals pop open with a barrage of rocket fire flying at the poor guys from behind.

Not if the portals are on the roof and the floor. Try to jump through and get nailed by the bullets. :blink:"

for that I'd use either prox mines or rockets

Not if the portals are on the roof and the floor. Try to jump through and get nailed by the bullets. :huh:"

Bullets would be like stealth though. Much harder to see than rockets or mines... :p

Not if the portals are on the roof and the floor. Try to jump through and get nailed by the bullets. :huh:"

Bullets would be like stealth though. Much harder to see than rockets or mines... :p

don't have QUITE the effect of seeing a rocket (much less a redeemer) zipping at what seems like mach five in a doorway blocking your path.

this is a game. I don't think programmers ever think to include bullets into the physics engine that much.

I would laugh at a bunch of guys cowering behind a wall when all of a sudden six portals pop open with a barrage of rocket fire flying at the poor guys from behind.

You are correct. Often times bullets are hitscan, meaning they'll immediately hit their target. Given that the only way to get the bullets moving indefinitely is to stand perfectly in between them, you'll end up shooting yourself. Even if the bullets aren't quite hitscan, they'll probably still move fast enough for you to not get out of the way.

In other news, I remember making infinite rocket loop teleporters with Duke3D's build engine.

Edited by alanschu

Given that the only way to get the bullets moving indefinitely is to stand perfectly in between them, you'll end up shooting yourself. 

Not necessarily. In Prey, the portals sort of "disappeared" when you stood behind them, so you could conceivably shoot through them to the the portal entrance on the other side, allowing the bullets to be unobstructed by your presence when they leave the portal exit.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

So you could go "through" the portal from the rear and be unaffected?

I think so, I don't remember if I ever tried it in Prey. But you couldn't see the portal from behind, at least.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Yeah, I remember doing it in the demo. You could only transport yourself through the front.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

• 4 months later...

Hehheh, might as well resurrect this thread, since the official site(?) of the game has been out for a while. http://www.aperturescience.com/

On that note, can anyone get in? So far, the only thing that has given me a result is pushing "?".

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

If you type "user", it prompts you to enter a username and a password. I tried "Gordon" as a username and "Freeman" as a password. Didn't work.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I typed: Adrian

And password: Portal

Edit: After that is works just like Dos, typing "dir", etc.

And it's damn funny.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

I just figured it out too.

Edit: Format doesn't work...

Edited by Pidesco

Heja Sverige!!

The end is funny.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

All I get is a "remain at your workstation" message.

Heja Sverige!!

That's because you didn't memorize the code. :rolleyes:)

kirottu said:

Good one, but the code is supposedly case sensitive and you can only enter capital letters. :rolleyes:)

Heja Sverige!!