What is race?

Eddo36

(w00t) :)

You really make me laugh. Yes, there is only 4% difference between me and a chimp, but does this mean that an absolutely miniscule difference of less than a percent between me and a Ghanaian doesn't prove anything? Give me a break!

Yes across our species we have different looks and different builds, but so far as anything that matters goes, we're the same. Or do you believe that big nosed people or brunettes are different from others?

If anyone wants to read up on the science of race there's a chapter in the book 'Intelligence in Question'. I'd lend you my copy, but I don't want it coming back covered in jam.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You really make me laugh. Yes, there is only 4% difference between me and a chimp, but does this mean that an absolutely miniscule difference of less than a percent between me and a Ghanaian doesn't  prove anything? Give me a break!
Hmm...

Yes across our species we have different looks and different builds, but so far as anything that matters goes, we're the same. Or do you believe that big nosed people or brunettes are different from others?
Clarify.

PS. I saw you edit your post, Mr. "no-edit-notice". :)

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I had heard about Edwards theory. My own feeling is that he needs a healthy dose of leaving Keys and travelling the real world a spell. His arguments are statistically interesting, but have some startling consequences to them, unsupported by the 'facts'.

And yes, I did edit my post. I'm hungover, OK? :">

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I had heard about Edwards theory. My own feeling is that he needs a healthy dose of leaving Keys and travelling the real world a spell. His arguments are statistically interesting, but have some startling consequences to them, unsupported by the 'facts'.
I'm pretty uninformed myself, and therefore rather skeptical. So I'd like to know these facts you talk about, and how they contradict Edwards. Pretty please? Being hungover isn't a valid excuse. You started it. :p

And yes, I did edit my post. I'm hungover, OK? :">
Yeah, yeah. I just miss the good ol' times when everyone could freely edit their posts without everyone being informed. :) Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Sorry, too hungover, and I need to go hit the shops before they shut. I need food, bin bags and cleaning products. Some time remind me to post the recipe for my new style greek lamb burgers with yoghurt sauce.

-Elwood Blues

The Bell Curve made quite a controversial impact (the 1994 book by Richard J. Herrnstein and Charles Murray).

The book became famous for its discussion of race and intelligence in Chapters 13 and 14.

The differential between the mean intelligence test scores of Blacks and Whites (about one standard deviation, although it may be diminishing) does not result from any obvious biases in test construction and administration, nor does it simply reflect differences in socio-economic status. Explanations based on factors of caste and culture may be appropriate, but so far have little direct empirical support. There is certainly no such support for a genetic interpretation. At present, no one knows what causes this differential.

Consideration of the book's actual content is being displaced by the rhetoric of denial: name calling ("neo-nazi," "pseudo-scientific," "racism"), sidetracks ("but does IQ really measure intelligence?"), non-sequiturs ("specific genes for IQ have not been identified, so we can claim nothing about its heritability"), red herrings ("Hitler misused genetics"), falsehoods ("all the tests are biased"), hyperbole ("throwing gasoline on a fire"), and insults ("creepy," "indecent," "ugly").

reference

wikipedia

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Actually, almost anyone who keeps his eyes, ears and other sensory organs open and pointed to decent points of interest can pick up the stuff Meta has. Most of us just don't bother or care.

Not to put you down Mets. =]

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I'm totally putting you down. =]

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

You guys are so gay for each other.

While we're on the subject, how come there were no really different "races" of aliens in Star Trek. All Klingons looked the same, Romulans, etc. The only example I can think of is Tuvok, the black Vulcan in Voyager...

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I don't think he has ever taken a class.

Ever.

Screw ya... :lol:"

And yes, I do think we (Humans (-Homo-Sapien)) are one "race". There might be differences between black and white people, but so are there differences between me and every family member I have. Hell; twins are never the same mentally. Thus can we forget all the outter visual stuff and concentrate on the inner which while different with each and every human has enough in common to be shared under a single race...

Then I guess dogs are all one breed.

Excellent point, Alan. I believe the term is "Pwned".

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Then I guess dogs are all one breed.

No, but they are of the same race (namely: DOG) :o"

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Based on which defintion exactly?

One definition of it is humanity, but usually in the context of "the human race," when referring to homo sapiens, which are a species.

Are all the other definitions wrong?

Go tell a zoologist how you would like to study the race of Dog and see what kind of response you get.

Edited by alanschu

Still knackered. I'm just interested. What form do you weirdoes believe these racial diferences take?

-Elwood Blues

It's a social construct, often consisting of differences in physical traits. Some expanded it to also include philosophical and social differences, including things such as religion and whatnot.

Whats your favorite race? :()

..mine's mongoloid because it sounds cool.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Wouldn't that be different cultures? I'd happily go along with the idea there are different cultures.

-Elwood Blues

Actually, almost anyone who keeps his eyes, ears and other sensory organs open and pointed to decent points of interest can pick up the stuff Meta has. Most of us just don't bother or care.

Not to put you down Mets. :(

It's always easy to say "that's easy" after someone else has done it ... not to put you down, Mus? :p

Still knackered. I'm just interested. What form do you weirdoes believe these racial diferences take?

as Jimmy said, it's an inherently subjective measure (species are borderline acceptable in biological taxonomy).

Incidentally, our species is homo sapiens sapiens, which is a newer branch on the homo sapiens tree (well, mine is).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Alan is right(again).

There is the human species, Homo Sapiens Sapiens, divided by races like North Americans, native North Americans, Europeans, Africans, Asians, Middle-easterners.

I(personnally) prefer to use geographical references rather than skin color references because it is not only about skin color. For example, Africans will usually have a larger nose, their hair is very curly and their limbs are longer.

Similar differences, although usually more subtle, can be observed in most people from different continents.

EDIT: Monday morning... I just noticed how late I am with this reply...

Sorry. :">

Edited by astr0creep