What is race?

Eddo36

Go tell a zoologist how you would like to study the race of Dog and see what kind of response you get.

So a German Shepherd is from a different RACE than a golden retriever? I can agree if you say different breed; but different race... nah...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Go tell a zoologist how you would like to study the race of Dog and see what kind of response you get.

So a German Shepherd is from a different RACE than a golden retriever? I can agree if you say different breed; but different race... nah...

Different race, same species.

Breed is something else, like Terriers, Shepards, Retrievers, etc.

It's the same with cats I think.

That's exactly right, it's a different RACE. When, for example, a Dane walks up to another Dane with a dog, the question directly translated would be: "What race is that?"

It might just be in my language, but I doubt it.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Making breed race? :ermm:

Anyways, I think we can all agree I call race what you guys call species...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

That's exactly right, it's a different RACE. When, for example, a Dane walks up to another Dane with a dog, the question directly translated would be: "What race is that?"

It might just be in my language, but I doubt it.

Your statement is confusing. I first thought you were talking about 2 Great Danes which triggered a :huh: and then a :ermm:

A German Shepard is a different race then a Irish Setter but they both belong to the canine species. Same with humans.

Oh right, you English speakers call them Great Danes, lol forgot about that.

Here they go by Grand Danois, which means the same only in French... oh you know that of course. :">

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

It's not just us, it's the entire scientific comunity.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

race is an amorphous concept and, yet, not entirely without merit. race is more than differences in appearance.

I do, however, think that, ultimately, all humanity is of the same "race".

ethnicity, of course, is the sense of belonging or "peoplehood" which includes racial, religious, tribal/clannish and such connotations.

Unified? All agree with the same definition?

If so why the original posters question? :ermm:"

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

race is an amorphous concept and, yet, not entirely without merit.  race is more than differences in appearance.

I do, however, think that, ultimately, all humanity is of the same "race".

ethnicity, of course, is the sense of belonging or "peoplehood" which includes racial, religious, tribal/clannish and such connotations.

No.

All humanity is of the same "species". Divided by Races.

Races are born from evolution in certain environments and "peoplehood".

To the first, yes, they are all in agreement on the definition. It's used to classify the planet organisms. It has been, for a long time. I don't know the exact date, I could look it up, but I'm not going to. Seriously, have you ever taken a biology class? If not, I can understand your confusion.

Secondly, that secnd question isn't related to the fact that species isn't race. Eddo asked what is race. He didn't ask if race and species are the same. Do you understand? His initial question had nothing to do with species. Do you understand?

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Secondly, that secnd question isn't related to the fact that species isn't race.  Eddo asked what is race.  He didn't ask if race and species are the same.  Do you understand?  His initial question had nothing to do with species.  Do you understand?

No, but the discussion does neither. It is what race is. And seeing the replies there is no unified opinion on what race is. Some seem to see race = species... and some don't...

A 1985 survey (Lieberman et al. 1992) asked 1,200 scientists how many disagree with the following proposition: "There are biological races in the species Homo sapiens." The responses were:

biologists 16%

developmental psychologists 36%

physical anthropologists 41%

cultural anthropologists 53%

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

A 1985 survey (Lieberman et al. 1992) asked 1,200 scientists how many disagree with the following proposition: "There are biological races in the species Homo sapiens." The responses were:

biologists 16%

developmental psychologists 36%

physical anthropologists 41%

cultural anthropologists 53%

Out of the frying pan and into the fire, eh Hunter?

Even if those scientists are right, all that means is that the notion of race is irrelevant and superfluous. It does not mean that race = species. Species is a taxonomical category, while race isn't. Equalling both only implies a lack of knowledge of the matter, and it's this lack of knowledge that has lead to the words "race" and "species" being used interchangeably in casual speech in many languages (Spanish, for instance, while I'm getting the impression that this isn't the case in English).

It looks like the language barrier has once again played against you.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=race

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=species

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

No, but the discussion does neither. It is what race is. And seeing the replies there is no unified opinion on what race is. Some seem to see race = species... and some don't...

But you never said that. You used the definition of species, and called it race. You seemed to be completely ignorant of the term species, so we told you what it was. Then, you doubted that all scientists agreed what species is, when it is a conclusively defined term.

Now, about you asking why Eddo even made this topic if species was already defined and agreed upon by scientists. I don't know how to explain this to you, but, I'll try. You see, Eddo asked how we defined race. You gave him the definition of species. Thats fine. Later on, after you said what we call species you call race, I said "The entire scientific community calls that species." You then asked why was this topic even created then if they were all in agreement. You see, that would be fine, if everyone agreed that species and race are the same, but not everyone does. Thus, the original posters question is valid, and I was correct in saying that the scientific community agrees on what species is.

Edited by thepixiesrock

I never disagreed with that there is an unified opinion on Species. I disagreed with there was an unified opinion on RACE. Please mention if I said anything different elsewhere; which would be impossible because I didn't...

^

LOL

All agree with the same definition... OF RACE...

If so why the original question... WHAT RACE IS

Sjeesh, it seems so simple; but I guess I really need to add that stuff at the end not to confuse the locals...

^

If so why the original posters question? :huh:"

Zing.

So I misread your post... it became quite clear in the following posts I was talking about RACE.

It was a race to win the argument.

Pixies FTW!

**** you FTW...

^