Pre-E3 Bioware interview

Llyranor

The last good epic style CRPG they made was BG2.  I know you differ in opinion on this Volourn, but for a game to be epic the story has to be good.  There is nothing good story wise when Bioware uses the same plot twists over and over and over again.

you are, of course, incorrect.

"Did you see "Gleaming the Cube"? Dude, that was like so freaking Epic!" is not necessarily how advertisers and normal persons use "epic" in conversations.

anybody wanna get a dictionary for vis? shows him a def. epicness of a work can simply refers to scope and size o' story. if you is saving the world or galaxy, then chances are you gots yourself more than 'nuff just 'cause to use overused epic label. advertisers and developers use Epic precisely 'cause wacky folks likes vis attributes a qualitative aspect to a word that don't really got one. developers and publishers is rarely fibbing or even stretching truths when they calls their storytelling "epic." how many fantasy or sci-fi game stories ain't epic in scope? is a few, but they is the exceptions.

and as for predictability = lameness... that might be overstating. sure, we would much prefer if we didn't know what were coming, but predictability don't have to = lame if the characters and encounters in a game is well developed.

ever read TDKR? is the closest thing to superhero comic art we ever has read, but if you gots even the most tiny shreds of a lit background you were gonna be able to see what were coming. in fact, the one lame aspect of TDKR were the end. for a comic fan, the end were predictable. batman survives. however, given the literary pparallels TDKR were drawing so heavily 'pon, we didn't expect for batman to survive... and that actually were the one real blemish on an otherwhise fantastic bits o' comic art.

and 'cause it just wouldn't be the obsidian boards w/o devolution into a predictably lame tolkien battle, we feels compelled to note that lotr were pretty darn predictable, and some people here hold it up as the pinnacle o' fantasy lit.

regardless, epic needs not mean what vis seems to insist on it meaning.

u lose. r00fles. whatever.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The only definition I need is mine and mine alone because the only person I have to live with is me. Also, Gromnir, of course I am incorrect. What do you expect? I have come to conclusion that I am wrong just about everything and you know what. I don't give a s**t.

Edited by Judge Hades

This thread is so full of great signature quote-worthy diatribes. :D

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

"The only definition I need is mine and mine alone because the only person I have to live with is me."

okie dokie... but you is complained 'bout how bioware uses the word and not how you uses. you can looks at a cow and say "dog" all you wish, but when you criticize others for failing to do the same, well then you is just being psychotic, no? such oddness can leads to all kinds o' confusion as you insist that dogs is a wonderful source of milk and that as a good midwestern boy there ain't nothing you likes better than a grade A ribeye steak cut from a corn fed iowan dog.

if you is complaining that bio ain't following your telepathic orders to them that they ditch the oed and websters and instead use vis definitions, then we thinks you is being just a tiny bit unreasonable, no?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Hades, while it's true you can only measure things by your own view, you do tend to do so in absolutes.

You never really say "I think such and such sucks" you generally say "Such and such sucks" like it's some great fact or something :(

Anyone who thinks what I say is fact i delusional. That includes myself. I shouldn't have to say "I think this" or "My opinion is that" because that should be a given in the context that is written in this posts. Any reasonably educated and intelligent individual should be able to see that I am a complete loon.

"You never really say "I think such and such sucks" you generally say "Such and such sucks" like it's some great fact or something "

EVERYONE on the net does it. I have yet to see ONE person to do otherwise.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Just that there aren't any other CRPGs til Oblvion was released.  I just went through and played all the old games in an alphabetical cycle, starting with Baldur's Gate and ending with Neverwinter Nights.  Bioware has a lot of tricks in their story telling but use those tricks over and over again to the point of boredem.  For example the Betrayer.  The Betrayer is used over and over and over again to ad nauseum.

BG2:  Main Character is betrayed.

ToB:  Main character is betrayed.

NWN:  Main character is betrayed.

HotU:  Main character is betrayed.

KotOR:  Main character is betrayed.

JE:  Main character is betrayed.

It is like clockwork.  I am expecting the ME games will have one betrayel each and DA, if it is released, will have one as well.

Kotor the main character is not betrayed. It is you who is Revan after all.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Anyone who thinks what I say is fact i delusional.  That includes myself.  I shouldn't have to say "I think this" or "My opinion is that" because that should be a given in the context that is written in this posts.  Any reasonably educated and intelligent individual should be able to see that I am a complete loon.

sure you should.

I say this because I think it makes you less hard headed and inflexible :)