Pre-E3 Bioware interview

Llyranor

this obtuseness is... perplexing.

did bio benefit from some luck in making bg? sure, why not. but that ain't what you has been claiming. is a far different thing to attribute all bio success to ip and luck and hype than it is to note that bio benefited from some luck along the way.

*shrug*

is too much sp for even Gromnir to handle at this point.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Nice. Except I never did that. Where as you have not offered any plausable explanation of why Bioware got to make BG."

This should be obvious. Interplay had published BIO's first game before BG1. Interplay obviously felt that BIO was a good enough developer to keep giving them work.

The reason as Grom mentions that BIO got BG as well as continually get work is becausse publishers know they have the skill to make them, AND get customers to buy them.

And, there were/are lots of options for people to make games. Of course, when it comes to RPGs, very few are as successful as BIO because BIO is just that damned good.

Deal with this fact of gaming life.

BIO isn't successful because of luck. They're successful because they are good at what they do.

QUESTION: Why didn't Interplay just get BIS to make BG? Hmmmmm.........

And, why were the BIO D&D games more successful than the BIS D&D games? Hmmm...

Period.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

BIS was making Planescape Torment at that time.

I would say Torment was too dialogue based and Icewind Dale was too combat based for masses to get interested. Bioware on the other hand is good at walking the middle lane of averageness.

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

"I would say Torment was too dialogue based and Icewind Dale was too combat based for masses to get interested. Bioware on the other hand is good at walking the middle lane of averageness."

That could be a good exuse for Torment; but IWD is too 'combat based' for the masses? That's illogical consideirng all the success from combat based rpgs like Diablo, and the like.

You would think them being based on both D&D and the engine used for BG they would be million copy sellers.

"BIS was making Planescape Torment at that time."

Oh really? That be mighty impressive considering the fact that PST used the IE engine... you know, the Bg engine.. so, how did BIS manage this little pickle before Interplay got BIO to develop BG?

They must have used the BG2 Wish spell to accomplish that feat. :D

Edited by Volourn

That could be a good exuse for Torment; but IWD is too 'combat based' for the masses? That's illogical consideirng all the success from combat based rpgs like Diablo, and the like.

But Diablo has very different aproach to combat, more straight forward. I think Jagged Alliance would have been better comparison for you to make and following that line perhaps you

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Maybe Bioware is like the computer developer's equivalent of Britney? I mean, it's flawlessly produced, it appeals to the masses but if you look at it closely it's just an average product under the hype.

I wonder if that would make Piranha Bytes the Franz Ferdinand of computer developers?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

BIO isn't successful because of luck. They're successful because they are good at what they do.

Period.

That's impossible to say since the field of competition is so thin.

Think someone already answered that.

Your still overlooking the point that if Interplay had not said "you dont want to make an RTS , you want to make an AD&D RPG" then BG would not have been made. Your still overlooking the coinciendence of approaching Interplay with the RTS idea (iron throne wasnt it ?) just as IP wanted another AD&D game.

As for the rest. Well obviously they have talent at what they do. Thats pretty obvious. But they are hardly competing in crowded field either.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

And your evaluation of Franz Ferdinand is?

Kind of crappy production, not very mainstream (I think) but talent that shines through.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

There is a lot for those who follow and look for the info. I, not being one of them, don't actually know much about it. :rolleyes: I assume I will be bothered enough after NWN2.

I mean, most of the nwn2news.net news, for example, is based on dev postings on the forum. I believe ol' Dave has posted a LOT of stuff about DA.

I don't bother going to the Bioware forums because I am banned there. I don't see the point to listen to Biowarians constantly spew forth useless hype while fanbois give them an over abundance of priases to the point they think they are "Kings of CRPGs" when they aren't.

I don't bother going to the Bioware forums because I am banned there.  I don't see the point to listen to Biowarians constantly spew forth useless hype while fanbois give them an over abundance of priases to the point they think they are "Kings of CRPGs" when they aren't.

yet you still make alt acoounts and try to get back on the forums. :rolleyes:

The one thing people are forgetting about a problem BIS had was the fact they were part of IPLY. Titus bought out IPLY, was bankrupt and was taking all the money from IPLY. BIS had to do games they didn

Edited by Ellester

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Casey Hudson, project director on the upcoming BioWare game Mass Effect, told SCI FI Wire that the game will be unveiled at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles in May. Mass Effect is the first in a trilogy of squad-based SF action role-playing games in development for the Xbox 360 and will be the main focus at E3 for the Canadian developer BioWare. "We've been pretty secretive about the game so far, but at E3 we'll reveal the first look at actual gameplay in Mass Effect," Hudson said in an interview.

The demo will show off an innovative real-time combat system that's played in a third-person format with state-of-the-art virtual actors. Players will be in command of an upgradeable main character and have a choice of specialty-class skills that will offer a variety of tactical advantages in combat. The combat system will feature swappable characters during battle and a range of special attacks or healing abilities that players can set up before combat begins to plan strategies for battle.

The story of Mass Effect takes place 200 years in the future, during the pioneering of the universe, with characters forming squads of adventurers struggling within a sprawling galactic community threatened by a legendary agent gone rogue.

"The demo also shows off some cool new innovations in combat and character interaction," Hudson said. "What will probably be the most exciting aspect of the demo is just seeing what has become possible in a sci-fi RPG with the latest technology. We've worked very hard over the last couple of years building features that will take our role-playing games to the next level

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Just read the Mass Effect site. Looks like every other sci-fi game on console.

And why is every Bioware game "revolutionary?"

OK, NWN was revolutionary in that it was one of the suckiest single player games ever made, more 1917 than 1789.

sonsofgygax.JPG

The word 'revolutionary' is jst a key selling point. veryone uses it as hype. It means nothing - much like the words epic, blockbuster, and many others.

The last good epic style CRPG they made was BG2. I know you differ in opinion on this Volourn, but for a game to be epic the story has to be good. There is nothing good story wise when Bioware uses the same plot twists over and over and over again.

Just that there aren't any other CRPGs til Oblvion was released. I just went through and played all the old games in an alphabetical cycle, starting with Baldur's Gate and ending with Neverwinter Nights. Bioware has a lot of tricks in their story telling but use those tricks over and over again to the point of boredem. For example the Betrayer. The Betrayer is used over and over and over again to ad nauseum.

BG2: Main Character is betrayed.

ToB: Main character is betrayed.

NWN: Main character is betrayed.

HotU: Main character is betrayed.

KotOR: Main character is betrayed.

JE: Main character is betrayed.

It is like clockwork. I am expecting the ME games will have one betrayel each and DA, if it is released, will have one as well.