Pre-E3 Bioware interview

Llyranor

Irrelevant.

Who knows. Enough for Interplay.

Really? From what we  know, NWN was in the planning WHILE BG1 was made; not after.  Hence, the hints in the game.

Because of their proven successes from the start of the line.

It still was a success. Anyone who expected it to sell as well as BG/NWN/KOTOR overrate BIO's popularity.

The bottom line that Grom is getting at here is that compared to the majority of devs for both D&D and SW games; BIO is quite successful.

As relevent as the other point.

All that was left was the RTS engine.

And you don't think if BG had been abysmal they wouldnt have looked elsewhere.

From starting to do other peoples licenses you mean.

Any game that is advertised in a cinema and can't sell a million is a failure in my book.

Quite succesful not disputing that. Only pointing out that they have been lucky in having some very good lisences and not having a lot of competition.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Not luck. Smart business sense is more like it.

As for BG leading to NWN, once again, NWN was likely in the works before BG was finished hence all the forshadowing of it in BG1 meaning that BIO and Interplay had likely already signed the contract for the game.

So, you saying, that Interplay would ahve broek that contract... then again, this is Interplay so they might have.

That said, it wasn't like BG was the first game of BIO that Interplay published. In fact, until the NWN loss, Interplay had published every BIO game... Hmm..

It seems to me it wasn't luck that got BIO the gig; but a trust that at that point hadn't been broken between publisher-developer. That doesn't sound like luck.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Not luck. Smart business sense is more like it.

As for BG leading to NWN, once again, NWN was likely in the works before BG was finished hence all the forshadowing of it in BG1 meaning that BIO and Interplay had likely already signed the contract for the game.

So, you saying, that Interplay would ahve broek that contract... then again, this is Interplay so they might have.

That said, it wasn't like BG was the first game of BIO that Interplay published. In fact, until the NWN loss, Interplay had published every BIO game... Hmm..

It seems to me it wasn't luck that got BIO the gig; but a trust that at that point hadn't been broken between publisher-developer. That doesn't sound like luck.

If it was smart business sense then Bioware would have approached with the D&D idea. That IP was thinking of doing a D&D game and Bioware happened to have an engine that fitted the bill. That I would call luck.

The game could have been in any state at the time. It may have even been nothing more than an idea. Just because you stick easter eggs in a game dosnt mean something is always going to come of it.

See first paragraph.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Hmm... it does seem like Bioware is putting more effort into Mass Effect (a game I hadn't heard of until clicking this thread) than Dragon Age

...at least from looking at the sites.

This sucks, I may have to get a 360 :)

Come on Bioware! PS3!

Hmm... it does seem like Bioware is putting more effort into Mass Effect (a game I hadn't heard of until clicking this thread) than Dragon Age

This sucks, I may have to get a 360 :(

Come on Bioware! PS3!

I dont know anything about it beyond the name.

Dragon Age was weird because initially they had screenshots.

They could release the entire trilogy on one blu ray and still have room to spare. :)

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

ME does sound like it'll have good potential. Tactical squad-based shooter combat can be quite fun. Exploration also sounds like it could be well-implemented.

What M$ needs to do to reduce their XBOX360 losses is to make Windows Vista be able to play 360 games, since the software is where M$ get their profit from. It makes sound business sense, and would provide more incentive for people to get Vista, too. Since the two will already be compatible for the Windows Media Centre or whatever crap, and that M$ already announced a XBOX360 controller compatible for PC, it just makes business sense. Then again, it's M$.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

*sigh*

"How many non D&D tiltes have failed ? How interesting did Biowares original idea for the game (name I completely forget) sound ? "

"Why was Bioware chosen for NwN ? Because of BG. Why were they chosen for KOTOR ? BG/BGII.

"Jade Empire you can see as Biowares first attempt to escape from doing licenses. And as you yourself said it was hardly a spectacular success."

by pointing out that both non-d&d games & d&d games fail you has acheived... what? you prove our point: regardless of the recognizable logo on the box, games sometimes fail.

now name the d&d pc crpg sales success made in the last 8 years that were NOT bioware titles. iwd? yeah, that is real strong evidence that the d&d logo makes for big sales. 1 title NOT bioware's that were making money. on consoles bg: dark alliance dropped in price real fast... am not sure how much of a winner that were. in either case, using sp logic, the only reason that either of those titles made any money is 'cause of bioware's work on bg... so bio gets credit for those 2, right?

as to why bio were chosen for kotor and nwn, that is a more complicated issue than you would makes it appear to be. btw, nwn outsold bg1 and bg2. from a sales standpoint, and possibly from publisher perspective, nwn were the big winner from bio.

sp is one of those insane bio haters... has dogma 'stead of reason.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

as to why bio were chosen for kotor and nwn, that is a more complicated issue than you would makes it appear to be.  btw, nwn outsold bg1 and bg2.  from a sales standpoint, and possibly from publisher perspective, nwn were the big winner from bio. 

sp is one of those insane bio haters... has dogma 'stead of reason.

HA! Good Fun!

No it's really very simple. Who else was there?

The reason is easy. There was no one else around to it and Bioware owe their RPG rep to the lucky break they got with IP.

478327[/snapback]

Who else is there now?

Well Obsidian dosnt seem to be hurting for work. Although I'd put that down to Feargus.

It's still too early to tell. But since Bioware seem to be going into less RPG and more hybrid games. The competition may come from some unexpected places.

478327[/snapback]

on consoles bg: dark alliance dropped in price real fast... am not sure how much of a winner that were. 

It got a sequel, therefore it was succesful.

No.

It could quite easily have warranted a sequel if the sunk cost (investment so far) might turn a profit more cheaply (i.e. with less new investment) than creating new IP.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

This sucks, I may have to get a 360 :)

Come on Bioware! PS3!

Come on Bioware, stick with your roots>>PC

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

on consoles bg: dark alliance dropped in price real fast... am not sure how much of a winner that were.    in either case, using sp logic, the only reason that either of those titles made any money is 'cause of bioware's work on bg... so bio gets credit for those 2, right? 

HA! Good Fun!

It dropped because BG fans found out what a loser of a game it was. The true fans threw out that pretender series and went back to playing the real deal.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Never played the BGDA sequel because the first one stunk terribly. As for Bioware I only go on the evidence shown. Evidence show is that they are pushing the console market more than PC. Sure they are still supporting NWN but where is the majority of Bioware's resources going? Console. What platform are there games coming out on? Console.

As for Bioware doing a MMORPG, MMORPGs are worthless POS. There has yet been a MMORPG that is worth playing and I doubt there ever will be one.