Pre-E3 Bioware interview

Llyranor

as to why bio were chosen for kotor and nwn, that is a more complicated issue than you would makes it appear to be.  btw, nwn outsold bg1 and bg2.  from a sales standpoint, and possibly from publisher perspective, nwn were the big winner from bio. 

sp is one of those insane bio haters... has dogma 'stead of reason.

HA! Good Fun!

No it's really very simple. Who else was there?

The reason is easy. There was no one else around to it and Bioware owe their RPG rep to the lucky break they got with IP.

who else was there? were all kinds of crpg developers back then. looks at all the mediocre games and complete failures that were made...games like revenant and darkstone and arcanum, to name just a few.

bio got lucky and they only got sales 'cause of d&d... those were your reasons, right? HA! your insanity is unassailable when you continue to refuse to acknowledge that black isle didn't enjoy the same "luck" working with interplay that bio did. if bio got lucky to be working with the amazing Interplay publishing co., then black isle sales shoulda' been downright fantasmalicious, no? forget the fact that bio severed ties from IP and ignore reality that bio's biggest sellers came after leaving IP if you must ('cause you will,) but please, explain to us how bio could be so lucky to hook up with IP, and black isle, the development arm of Interplay, could be so preternaturally snake bit.

well, at least you seems to have abandoned the notion that bio owes fame and fortune and continued sucess to wotc or lucas. were making d&d games, 'cause oddly 'nuff, nobody else has been able to reap any such benefits from d&d logo. so much for that theory.

some of you people is nuts.

the funny thing is, some clown over at codex were parroting sp... but he were trying that tired bird song to explain away fergie's early business success. fergie simply got lucky to land kotor2 and nwn2, and now that such luck has obviously run out (based on lord only knows what evidence,) obsidian is doomed, DOOMED! see, the argument goes that fergie wouldn't be nothing w/o bioware. gets both sequels 'cause somehow he happened to be first name lucas and atari could think of, or 'cause fergie hooked up the kanadian bio docs with $1000 hookers whenever they were in LA... or some other equally implausible reasoning.

luck? blame on luck is so much bs. blame on luck is like blaming on magic fearies or sunspots or the illuminati... 'cause you not need no proof for such things. in fact, the absence of proof is all that makes such arguments plausible.

bah.

congrats on out codexian the codexers.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"It could quite easily have warranted a sequel if the sunk cost (investment so far) might turn a profit more cheaply (i.e. with less new investment) than creating new IP."

Why do people here try to keep syaing that BGDA bombed? The game 9actually both games) wer e ahit. They sold over a million copies a hit. They were very successful. They were also very good action games. Just because it's not a platform you like doesn't make it a bomb. Fools.

"So they are doing a LOTR ?

Yeah, kind of.. Only with a much lamer story (basically organic being against artificial intelligence)."

Yeah, because LOTR's story was sooooo deep... Protect the ring from The Big Evil tm. LOLOLOLLIPOP Talk about deep.. not. LOTR is successful INSPITE of the story. It's characters are its strength; not the story.

"As for Dragon Age it looks like vaporware to me, a PR marketing scheme to show the PC audience that they are working on a PC game while at the same time try to entice them to buy a X Box 360."

That's right. That kind fo thinking is what got BIo the success they have. By PRETENDING to developa PC game for their PC fans so those PC fans will buy a console? Hahaha. Do you even read what you post?

"Bioware is releasing Neverwinter Nights again? Unless they do, I'm pretty sure noone cares that they're still "working" on it. They're not exactly bringing anything new to the table by working on an ancient, crappy title."

All thhe people whoc tonie to support certainly do. And, all the people who keep buying the expansions, and the PM certainly do, and btw, that INCLUDES Hades.

Saying it's crappy doens't make it's true.

"The MMORPG might be for the PC, but it's still only another clue at to how degenerate Bioware is becoming. Everyone and their grandma is jumping on the MMORPG bandwagon."

BIO has been planning a MMORPG for years. In fact, the CEOs stated in various interviews that it was INEVITBALE they would make one.

"As far as I am concerned, the only PC title they're working on is Dragon Age.. you know.. the forgotten title that's never mentioned anywhere?"

These are lies.

1. DA is not forgotten.. afterall, we're disucsisng it right now. Also, it's talked about often. Heck, this article even talks about it. For a 'forgotten' title it sure as won awards. Forgotten titles tend not to win pre release rewards. LOLOLOLLIPOP

2. NWN is a PC title. They are working on it. Therefore, you ar eblind to state what you state.

3. The MMORPG is almost guaranteed to be a PC title.

That makes 3 PC titles they are working on, and 2 console titles they working. 4 if they actually are working on all ME games at the same time which I doubt. They're likely doing some pre planning on ME2+3 (likely most a base story) and concentrtaing their eforts on ME1 since it's likely due out later this year or early next.

Good fun. :p

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

? HA! your insanity is unassailable when you continue to refuse to acknowledge that black isle didn't enjoy the same "luck" working with interplay that bio did.

Look how hyped games like BG/II were compared to IWD/II. Theres your answer.

Dosnt really matter if NwN wasnt under interplay it was still with whoever had the rights to D&D. Biowares rep was built on such properties and that started with the lucky break of doing an AD&D game.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

? HA! your insanity is unassailable when you continue to refuse to acknowledge that black isle didn't enjoy the same "luck" working with interplay that bio did.

Look how hyped games like BG/II were compared to IWD/II. Theres your answer.

Dosnt really matter if NwN wasnt under interplay it was still with whoever had the rights to D&D. Biowares rep was built on such properties and that started with the lucky break of doing an AD&D game.

luck AND hype. well, there's your answer then.

*snort*

you is bugnuts... honest. bio got lucky, but bis didn't. yup, that's the explanation.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

luck AND hype.  well, there's your answer then.

*snort*

you is bugnuts... honest.  bio got lucky, but bis didn't.  yup, that's the explanation.

HA! Good Fun!

Both are parts of the answer. BIO got lucky with the BG thing. If you want to offer another explanation then feel free.

How long did BIS have to work on IWD ?

You cant compare BIS because BIS didnt have the same development times alloted to them. Certainly didnt have the same advertising budget either.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

:)

First off, no one said LotR was deep just that ME would be lamer.

Secondly awards are meaningless. They are just someone eleses opinion with a blue ribbon attached to it.

Also for a game not forgotten there is very little inforamtion about it. Where are the screenshots, system requirements and recommended, who is its publisher, what classes are available, what is its rules ssytem like, and other pertinent information? Fact is there is more information on Starcraft Ghost, another vaporware game, than there is on Dragon Age.

Also the resources Bioware has placed in NWN currently is far far far far less than the resources they have placed in their current console titles. In the last 5 years they have spent more resources on the console market than the PC market.

Edited by Judge Hades

"Also for a game not forgotten there is very little inforamtion about it."

For a game that is forgotten it sure is being talked about.... BY YOU!

LOLOLOLLIPOP

Better reread the defintion of 'forgotten'.

R00fles!

"Where are the screenshots,"

There have been some. And, yeah, they're out of date; but thena agin every time NWN2 screenshots are released Obsidian is quick to say they're out of date as well...

" system requirements and recommended"

We don't even have concrete ones for NWN2 last I checked. Just possibilities.

", who is its publisher" True. We don't know this.

", what classes are available"

Sure we do.

", what is its rules ssytem like,"

We got an idea of it. Pay attention.

" and other pertinent information?"

Sure we do.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

There does seem to be a disturbing lack of information about Dragon Age. It's been in development...even announced for what, at least two years now? The average cheesey Angelfire page is more informative and fancy than the DA site too.

Either:

A) Microsoft threw some cash in Bio's direction to pimp the 360, and abandon making PC games.

B) BioDemic decided to pull everyone but two guys off DA and move them to Mass Effect since by default, console games are far more important than PC ones.

C) They've run into huge problems with the game and want to keep it on the DL.

D) Dragon Age looks atrocious and critics/publications are reluctant to even mention it for fear of incurring BioDemic's wrath.

E) BioDemic is afraid if they release DA anytime soon(or at all) they won't be able to milk NWN and their new MMORPG as excessively.

F) All of the above.

There does seem to be a disturbing lack of information about Dragon Age.  It's been in development...even announced for what, at least two years now?  The average cheesey Angelfire page is more informative and fancy than the DA site too.

Either:

A)  Microsoft threw some cash in Bio's direction to pimp the 360, and abandon making PC games.

B)  BioDemic decided to pull everyone but two guys off DA and move them to Mass Effect since by default, console games are far more important than PC ones.

C)  They've run into huge problems with the game and want to keep it on the DL.

D)  Dragon Age looks atrocious and critics/publications are reluctant to even mention it for fear of incurring BioDemic's wrath.

E)  BioDemic is afraid if they release DA anytime soon(or at all) they won't be able to milk NWN and their new MMORPG as excessively. 

F)  All of the above.

Or maybe, it's

G) None of the above.

For a game that's supposedly abandoned, their forums look remarkably full of BioPosts.

Maybe just once, we can assume that video game developers aren't all complete liars whose only purpose in life is to misdirect and cheat their most hardcore of fans.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

luck AND hype.  well, there's your answer then.

*snort*

you is bugnuts... honest.  bio got lucky, but bis didn't.  yup, that's the explanation.

HA! Good Fun!

Both are parts of the answer. BIO got lucky with the BG thing. If you want to offer another explanation then feel free.

How long did BIS have to work on IWD ?

You cant compare BIS because BIS didnt have the same development times alloted to them. Certainly didnt have the same advertising budget either.

where did we compare iwd to bg?

you noted that bio got lucky when they hooked up with interplay, and Gromnir pointed out that bis WAS interplay. if the interplay connection were such a major factor, then why did the bis games do so poorly compared to the bio games. you still ain't answered that.

really, you is just being silly now if all you got is luck and hype.

HA! Good Fun!

btw, Gromnir did attempt to point out that for a game that had been imagined out of existence by obsidian boardies, the bio developers were spending lots of time talking 'bout it.

most obvious reason for lack o' news is the lack o' a publisher... 'cause otherwise we gotta prop up some grand conspiracy theory that involves Biowarians pretending to develop and discuss a game they got no intention of actually releasing.

HA! Good Fun!

where did we compare iwd to bg?

you noted that bio got lucky when they hooked up with interplay, and Gromnir pointed out that bis WAS interplay.  if the interplay connection were such a major factor, then why did the bis games do so poorly compared to the bio games.  you still ain't answered that. 

really, you is just being silly now if all you got is luck and hype.

HA! Good Fun!

You compared BIS to Bioware.

The problem here is your not providing an alternative scenerio. What other explanation is there for Bioware to be given BG ? They didnt ask for it, they wanted to do an RTS game when they approached Interplay.

BIS never got to show their stuff.

Yet to see you come up with an alternative explanation.

478327[/snapback]

we compared bio to bis? sure we did. so, in spite of all the games both developers made (or failed to make,) you limit to iwd v. bg? come now.

as to offering an alternative to your Hype + Luck nonsense?

you is kidding, right? here is a thought: bio is a competent game developer. what a novel notion eh? the notion that bio managed to make games that people wished to buy is so strange that it not even occur to you?

HA!

the OBVIOUS explanation for why bio has been succesful over the many years is that they is good at what they do. duh.

HA! Good Fun!

you is kidding, right?  here is a thought: bio is a competent game developer.  what a novel notion eh?  the notion that bio managed to make games that people wished to buy is so strange that it not even occur to you?

HA!

HA! Good Fun!

At the time of BG they had no RPG experience and had no intention of making an RPG. Remember they wanted to make an RTS.

So I stand by my they got a lucky break.

478327[/snapback]

you is kidding, right?  here is a thought: bio is a competent game developer.  what a novel notion eh?  the notion that bio managed to make games that people wished to buy is so strange that it not even occur to you?

HA!

HA! Good Fun!

At the time of BG they had no RPG experience and had no intention of making an RPG. Remember they wanted to make an RTS.

So I stand by my they got a lucky break.

what kinda reasoning is that? what was orson welles' first movie? citizen kane?

did bio get help from fergie and company as they built bg? sure they did, but it were still the biowarians who developed... and regardless, you is still ignoring the fact that bio has made many other games following BG... games that has done very well for the most part. you has somehow convinced self that the only reason people buy bio games is 'cause they liked bg... and the only reason bg were any good is 'cause bio got lucky. nonsense. is like your conspiracy theories that require us to ignore any rational or plausible explanation in favor of the notion that bio has managed to hypnotize millions of people into buying their games, and that Interplay, a now defunct publisher of crpgs, were the real Mesmer, while bio were simply the front man.

HA!

btw, we has met maybe 2 authors of fiction in the past 20 years who wrotes books that turned out as they envisioned 'em when they were outlining. at some point the book developes its own voice, and the thing writes itself. the fact that bg didn't end up as the kanadians first envisioned it is more likely the rule rather than the exception.

HA! Good Fun!

what kinda reasoning is that? what was orson welles' first movie?  citizen kane?

did bio get help from fergie and company as they built bg?  sure they did, but it were still the biowarians who developed... and regardless, you is still ignoring the fact that bio has made many other games following BG... games that has done very well for the most part.  you has somehow convinced self that the only reason people buy bio games is 'cause they liked bg... and the only reason bg were any good is 'cause bio got lucky.  nonsense.  is like your conspiracy theories that require us to ignore any rational or plausible explanation in favor of the notion that bio has managed to hypnotize millions of people into buying their games, and that Interplay, a now defunct publisher of crpgs, were the real Mesmer, while bio were simply the front man.

HA!

btw, we has met maybe 2 authors of fiction in the past 20 years who wrotes books that turned out as they envisioned 'em when they were outlining.  at some point the book developes its own voice, and the thing writes itself.  the fact that bg didn't end up as the kanadians first envisioned it is more likely the rule rather than the exception.

HA! Good Fun!

Why Bioware was offered other games. I've never even brought up the people who buy them.

If I was a publisher between the time of BG and KOTOR who would I go to to make an RPG ? Bioware. Why would I go to Bioware ? Because they made BG/II. Actually I pointed out the other games up until JE all were based on well established properties.

Well it's a conspiracy theory you invented because thats not even what I was talking about. :lol:

So we went from an RTS game with no D&D elements to an AD&D RPG and you call me dellusional :lol:

478327[/snapback]

btw, am still confused as to why you insist that all bio accolades is the result of some sorta aura that were created by Interplay in the form of bg. lord knows Gromnir doesn't even believe that bg were that great a game... but to give all credit for bio success to interplay and luck is just insane.

is no way you can honestly believe what you is saying... you is just arguing to see your words on screen at this point.

HA! Good Fun!

btw, am still confused as to why you insist that all bio accolades is the result of some sorta aura that were created by Interplay in the form of bg.  lord knows Gromnir doesn't even believe that bg were that great a game... but to give all credit for bio success to interplay and luck is just insane. 

is no way you can honestly believe what you is saying... you is just arguing to see your words on screen at this point.

HA! Good Fun!

Never said that. I said they got lucky with IP because of the AD&D property.

Well what I am saying and what you are seeing dont appear to be the same thing.

478327[/snapback]

am wondering if you is doing on purpose.

"If I was a publisher between the time of BG and KOTOR who would I go to to make an RPG ? Bioware. Why would I go to Bioware ? Because they made BG/II."

yes, 'cause bioware showed selves to be more than competent at developing games. duh. they were the developers of BG1 and BG2 and the expansions for both games... all of which sold well. they also developed NWN and the expansions for that game... games which outsold the bgs. so yeah, we can see why a normal and rational publisher would be interested in bio.

duh.

somehow to distill all bio success down to happenstance is beyond ridiculous.

"Actually I pointed out the other games up until JE all were based on well established properties."

we thinks we has been down that road before. d&d has NOT been a particularly successful license for anybody save bioware. star wars ain't been quite the Kiss o' Death that d&d has been recently, but is close. you hardly made a point with that nonsense... so we is surprised you would bring up again.

some folks don't know when they has dug themselves such a deep hole that they ain't never gonna get out... but still they dig.

"Never said that. I said they got lucky with IP because of the AD&D property."

well no, that ain't all you said... but we will not insult everybody by quoting you ad nauseum. in any event, you gots less mileage with the D&D crutch than with most of your other comments, so we don't know why you retreat to such a lousy argument.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

yes, 'cause bioware showed selves to be more than competent at developing games.  duh.  they were the developers of BG1 and BG2 and the expansions for both games... all of which sold well.  they also developed NWN and the expansions for that game... games which outsold the bgs.  so yeah, we can see why a normal and rational publisher would be interested in bio.

duh.

somehow to distill all bio success down to happenstance is beyond ridiculous.

HA! Good Fun!

Who else was there ?

Nice. Except I never did that. Where as you have not offered any plausable explanation of why Bioware got to make BG.

Face it without that lucky break they may not have even made an RPG call it undiscovered talent if you like, it really dosnt matter to me.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]