Movies You Have Seen Lately

Gfted1

Well, I couldn't find the book thread, so I'll tell of what I recently read in this thread (the book thread was a failure in my eyes anyway, since too few books were read and listed, certainly not enough to keep the thread in the more recent pages of WoT)

Black, by Ted Dekker. This book is first and foremost recommended to the other two members of the Christian axis of evil, since it has underlying Christian themes that some of you oppose.

Christian themes aside, I can easily say that this book would appeal to a non-Christian, like some of you who appreciated Narnia, although that analogy is probably detrimental to my cause. And my cause is to say that this is a good book.

The book is like a fantasy, and then it is also like a sci-fi, so it is one of those books where you realise why the library conventionally combines those sections. More of a fantasy though I guess.... but like...

Anyway, if you have nothing to read, if you trust my recommendations to be valid, and you don't mind mild Christian themes (they aren't poison as some of you would like to think), then you should pick up this book. And Eldar and Mothman should definitely pick up this book.

Do another thread Blankie. I'll contribute to it. I've been reading Roth's The Human Stain and Bukowski's Women.

This is what I want. And I want it fast. Damn this third world country!

Mother****ing Mingus was one of the greatest mother****ing writers I've ever read. Pure ****ing passion.

Edited by Baley

Well, I couldn't find the book thread, so I'll tell of what I recently read in this thread (the book thread was a failure in my eyes anyway, since too few books were read and listed, certainly not enough to keep the thread in the more recent pages of WoT)

Black, by Ted Dekker. This book is first and foremost recommended to the other two members of the Christian axis of evil, since it has underlying Christian themes that some of you oppose.

*snip*

I'll take a look at it. Thanks, Blank. :shifty:

I'll take a look at it.  Thanks, Blank.

Here's a sample for you, bub. Chapter I and II

There's something about his style that just bugs me. It's interesting and at times enjoyable, but his descriptions are lifeless and his continuous meddling annoying.

I've been reading Burroughs' Cities of Red Night, today, another sample.

Watched a Yes, Minister episode. The Middle-class Rip-off. Completely and utterly fantastic. Television's greatest triumph.

Edited by Baley

There's something about his style that just bugs me. It's interesting and at times enjoyable, but his descriptions are lifeless and his continuous meddling annoying.

You have to have faith that it'll get better after the first few chapters, since it does. However, from what I have seen, Baley, faith, and Christianity don't mix well.

For those that have seen the movie Cars, is it as good as the previous Pixar works? I was going to go see it, but with some of the not so good reviews I've decided to hang onto my money thus far.

I have really enjoyed Pixar's previous movies.. so is it worth it (for someone with few funds) to go see it for 10$?

On a side note, here's a link to the trailer for Pixars next movie (quicktime) www.apple.com

For those that have seen the movie Cars, is it as good as the previous Pixar works?  I was going to go see it, but with some of the not so good reviews I've decided to hang onto my money thus far.

I have really enjoyed Pixar's previous movies.. so is it worth it (for someone with few funds) to go see it for 10$?

On a side note, here's a link to the trailer for Pixars next movie (quicktime) www.apple.com

CARS:

The only thing that bugged me at first was the absence of drivers/humans and I couldn't help but think "how'd they built cities without hands?" but once you get past that it's very decent.

The movie is in large part about the consequences of progress on "the good ol' days" and how the younglings today are so consumed by popularity/wealth that they often forget about the important things in life, like real friends.

There are some very funny moments but it's mostly just amusing and there are some slow parts.

I didn't find it as tear-inducing as Nemo or Toy Story but there is a decent nostalgia factor.

The animation is truly superb and I think they made a breakthrough with artificial lighting. There is one particular shot it looks like a weird live-action thing because everything seems real but the car is talking. I was mesmerized.

It's also a "guy" movie, especially those who like and/or know about cars and famous drivers.

I prefered The Incredibles, Nemo, Shreck and Toy Story but I thought it was better than Monsters Inc, Over the Hedge and Ice Age.

I didn't read any reviews yet so mine is unbiased. I give it 8/10.

I hope this helps.

Edited by astr0creep

You have to have faith that it'll get better after the first few chapters, since it does. However, from what I have seen, Baley, faith, and Christianity don't mix well.

:) Very true.

Anyways, thank you Bales for the chapter. I must say I agree a little with you on the descriptions, only my biggest gripe is just the way in which he writes. The descriptions just seem a little, well, choppy, if that makes any sense. Words don't seem to flow that smoothly. But it still seems good so far. I think I might pick it up.

The version of 20,000 Leages Under the Sea w/Ben Cross as Nemo (it was on, I couldn't sleep).

Horrible, yet strangely fascinating in its horribleness. I kept thinking I was watching some cheap & cheesy early 70's movie until I surfed the title on the web.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Lost Boys

Vampire's clothed in 80's hair band style, cool..  :lol:

I just saw that again recently (for like..the 20th time or something). I love 80's movies. Did you see it on HBO too?

I also (re)watched Princess Bride, best movie ever.

Got sucked into watching the newest King Kong. Any version of that movie always makes me cry at the end :p

That's why my mom never watches it...she can't bear to see King Kong die in the end. Welcome to the boards, by the way. Is that a self-photo?

Terminator 2...no matter how many times you watch it, it's always fun to see T-1000 get shot at and blown to bits over and over again. :)

Edited by Mothman

Thank you for the welcome Mothman :p Yes that's me..it's kind of tiny though. Basically all hair hehe.

I tried not to watch the King Kong movie but my mom just kept nagging me until I did. I knew I'd cry :( It was really good though, seeing King Kong look so real made it even more personal.

And I love all the Terminator movies. Michael Biehn's been one of my favorite actors since the first one.

For those that have seen the movie Cars, is it as good as the previous Pixar works?  I was going to go see it, but with some of the not so good reviews I've decided to hang onto my money thus far.

CARS:

The only thing that bugged me at first was the absence of drivers/humans and I couldn't help but think "how'd they built cities without hands?" but once you get past that it's very decent.

Hee hee. My friend couldn't get over that illogic! (He took his two daughters to see it, and frowned all the way through it.)

They even had repair shops, but no people. That requires a child's perspective to suspend disbelief ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

CARS:

Hee hee. My friend couldn't get over that illogic! (He took his two daughters to see it, and frowned all the way through it.)

They even had repair shops, but no people. That requires a child's perspective to suspend disbelief ...

Meta, for a friend of yours to be like that does not surprise me at all. :Darque: Edited by Blank