Movies You Have Seen Lately

Gfted1

1. As you rightly note, the Enterprise is in constant jeopardy, so they should just be done with it and leave the saucer section behind.

2. The writers and actors were still finding their feet.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I actually have read the original novel (which is longer than Lotr), so here it goes.

Um, I meant the really long title (which doesn't see to much match the one on the box). Has the novel been translated? Cause I'd like to read it, yeah.

Charly

Plot Summary: Charly is a good natured retarded adult. Scientists try an experimental treatment on him which raises his IQ to genius levels but which does not give him emotional maturity. His shift from a dependant to an autonomous individual gives power to the story.

Well, the direction hasn't aged well, some scenes are pretty bad while others are absolutely brilliant. Guess I liked the script and actors.

Buba Ho-Tep

great idea, an aging Elvis against a mummy, but it just was not that exciting. Midly funny, though.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

I actually have read the original novel (which is longer than Lotr), so here it goes.

Um, I meant the really long title (which doesn't see to much match the one on the box). Has the novel been translated? Cause I'd like to read it, yeah.

Charly

Plot Summary: Charly is a good natured retarded adult. Scientists try an experimental treatment on him which raises his IQ to genius levels but which does not give him emotional maturity. His shift from a dependant to an autonomous individual gives power to the story.

Well, the direction hasn't aged well, some scenes are pretty bad while others are absolutely brilliant. Guess I liked the script and actors.

I think I've seen that ... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when ... certainly I have read Flowers for Algernon (beforehand, about 20 years ago) and enjoyed that very much.

Edit: Fixed linkie.

Edited by metadigital

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It's only a short story, and I read it in a great anthology that included The Lottery (which is another great piece of writing, not least because it uses the difficult-to-pull-off multiple-first-person-perspective writing, which was the main reason we were reading it).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It was later extended into a full-length novel under the same title (ISBN 0553274503), which won the Nebula Award for Best Novel in 1966.

I've been meaning to check it out ever since Asimov name dropped it in one of his articles. Yes, I own a book filled with Asimov articles. Yes, I know I'm a gigantic nerd, but the man was awesome, funny and informative.

So no one has seen Strings? It's a Swedish and Danish production, so I'd reckon some of the scandinavians would've at least heard of it.

@Baley: I own two books of articles by Asimov so bow down to my nerdiness.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

"1. As you rightly note, the Enterprise is in constant jeopardy, so they should just be done with it and leave the saucer section behind."

True in a way. But, that doesn't mean the diea is stupid in ofitself.

"2. The writers and actors were still finding their feet."

But, that doesn't mean it's worse than the others. What it lacks in 'finding its feet' (and, their are some examples where I can agree with you on this); it brings up in original ideas like Q who becomes much more of a goofball in later appearances instead of an 'all powerful being' espicially his appearances on the other ST shows ie Voyager which is the absolute worst. I espicially like Encounter At Farpoint. Definite a top 3 series priemere.

I'll be able to fairly judge this (again) as I continue to rewatch the series since it's been like a decade or so since my last viewing of it so it might be skewered. <>

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Flowers for Algernon, The Lottery and Isaac Asimov all rule.

I grew up on the Norby books, and later the Elijah Baley detective novels.

Fun fact! The Norby books were actually transcribed in comic book form for several years in Boys Life magazine.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

@Baley: I own two books of articles by Asimov so bow down to my nerdiness.

Oh, shush.

Jing wu ying xiong (Fist of Legend)

Plot Outline: Over twenty years since the first telling of the story, Bruce Lee's Chinese Connection returns to the screen. The story is a classic one that has its roots in an actual event in Chinese history -- the defeat of Master Huo at the hands of the Japanese. This time around, popular actor and martial arts champion Jet Li steps into the shoes of folk hero Chen Zhen, in a race to save his master's honor and his own pride.

+

Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne (The Ladies of the Bois de Boulogne)

Plot Summary: Realizing that her lover (Jean) is losing interest in her, a society lady (Helene) gets revenge by tricking him into marrying a former prostitute (Agnes). After the wedding Helene tells a stunned Jean about his wife's secret past, but the ending has more than one surprise twist. This is a modernized but fairly faithful adaptation of the story of Madame de La Pommeraye from Denis Diderot's novel Jacques le Fataliste.

Jet Li > Bresson.