Oblivion First Impressions

Hurlshort

And the continuing fascist opinion that "if it's not turn-based, it's not Fallout".

Just as fascist as "it's Fallout no matter how much we change it because we say so".

Yep, couldn't agree more. :shifty:

Eurogamer's review is up. Score is unexpected. At least from Eurogamer.

http://eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=63571

Even on a trusty steed, though, getting around the map is an incredibly time-consuming process, and one that could quickly get quite frustrating if it weren't for the ability to simply call up the map (when outdoors) and point your arrow cursor to where you want to head off to. Although you miss out on the opportunity to stumble across uncharted territory (and all the cool things that accompany that), if you're on a determined questing session, it's a lifesaver. A short loading pause later, you're there, saving yourself often 10, 20 minutes in the process - a design decision that we heartily approve of.

That is a GREAT idea. I like wandering a lot, but sometimes I like to just follow a quest (without landing/dismissing sixty-three others along the way).

In fact, for the most part, the 360 copes brilliantly with a game that requires a hefty beast of a graphics card to run to the same level on the PC.

So we see the XBox bias of the reviewer ... <_<

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

In fact, for the most part, the 360 copes brilliantly with a game that requires a hefty beast of a graphics card to run to the same level on the PC.

Is he wrong though ?

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Is he wrong though ?

Yes.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Is he wrong though ?

Yes.

Why? To get the same level of graphics on a PC as the X-box 360 you'd need to buy a card that costs a little less than an X-box 360 itself.

I haven't played it yet, and won't for a few years at least. Still, I thought I'd let you all know that Penny Arcade has a writeup about Oblivion.

Tycho's newspost

The cartoon is Elder Scrolls-related as well.

While the PA strips are occasionally funny, their actual analysis on games is generally piss poor.

Edited by Vic

Is he wrong though ?

Yes.

Why? To get the same level of graphics on a PC as the X-box 360 you'd need to buy a card that costs a little less than an X-box 360 itself.

But the PC is still better... :D

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Is he wrong though ?

Yes.

But the PC is still better... :D

Why yes, yes it is.

Is he wrong though ?

Yes.

Horsefeathers.

You could use a year-old graphics card (eg. the nVIDIA 6800GS) to achieve the same results at the TV resolution. The expensive card is necessary to have the same effects at HUGE resolutions (HDTV 720p; 1280

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

About 4-5 hrs into the game. The main storyline does seem to be picking up, and is enjoyable so far. The writing is decent, but none of it has really impressed me too much yet. A definite improvement over Morrowind, but that's an understatement anyway. The PC responses are pretty meh, though. Having only one dialogue choice available isn't very inspiring, and just emphasizes how linear the main storyline is. That said, I'm enjoying it. Boromir is such a dream.

I've also joined another faction - the Blades. I haven't progressed in the Dark Brotherhood quests yet.

EDIT: Er, yeah, the instatravel feature is actually a pretty neat one. Normally, I'd be opposed to such, but if there is absolutely story-related during the trip, then by all means please make it optional. This way, I can focus on the story without having to put up with pointless walking. Now, if they had introduced storytelling (a horseback chase, perhaps?) into the trips themselves (and furthered character development in instances where other characters were tagging along with you), that would have of course been better. But, this is better than not having any of that AND not having a choice to skip it.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Even on a trusty steed, though, getting around the map is an incredibly time-consuming process, and one that could quickly get quite frustrating if it weren't for the ability to simply call up the map (when outdoors) and point your arrow cursor to where you want to head off to. Although you miss out on the opportunity to stumble across uncharted territory (and all the cool things that accompany that), if you're on a determined questing session, it's a lifesaver. A short loading pause later, you're there, saving yourself often 10, 20 minutes in the process - a design decision that we heartily approve of.

Thinking more about this feature, I think this was the main reason I didn't finish Morrowind (together with the voluminous descriptions of the quests; the necessity to make an on-sthe-spot decision to take them or not; and the ease with which the journal became unreadable because of this).

I think this makes Oblivion a buy ..! :o:blink:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Here I am playing with a corpse. I'm glad Oblivion employs the Havok physics.

http://s61.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1IG2SRC...FJ3695PD6AUVH7U

I, of course, improved my acrobatic skills again :(

I was wondering what the heck you were doing there till I saw you bump the skull. o:)"

Necro-feely-a :D

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

A question, since the female PC is so horribly thin/bullimic/anorexic can she eat herself healthy again? A friend of mine had a theory that perhaps you could pull a Fable and eat her fat. I broke into a house and ate all their food but nothing happened.

I'm enjoying it. Boromir is such a dream.

I find myself just clicking on him again and again to hear that sweet voice of his. My character is so going to marry him. They will all have scruffy-looking but still neatly trimmed beards.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

A question, since the female PC is so horribly thin/bullimic/anorexic can she eat herself healthy again? A friend of mine had a theory that perhaps you could pull a Fable and eat her fat. I broke into a house and ate all their food but nothing happened.

I'm enjoying it. Boromir is such a dream.

I find myself just clicking on him again and again to hear that sweet voice of his. My character is so going to marry him. They will all have scruffy-looking but still neatly trimmed beards.

Sims 2: Oblivion ... don't laugh ..!

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT