Oblivion First Impressions

Hurlshort

Could somebody PLEASE tell me where the hell I can find some "glowing dust"? None of the Alchemists I've found seem to have any, and Azura's waiting. :shifty:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Oh, yeah, you NEED to rent a room at the Imperial Waterfront in, I can't remember the name but it's a ship.  Just do it.

Haha, thanks for the tip. That was a fun quest. There was some good potential to include branching dialogue in there. Too bad it all ended up the same way

"He's dead." "They're dead." Go go diplomacy, haha.

Could somebody PLEASE tell me where the hell I can find some "glowing dust"? None of the Alchemists I've found seem to have any, and Azura's waiting. :shifty:

If you wander around just a bit around the shrine, you'll find some will-of-the-wisp to brutally murder.

Also, I am now officially a VAMPIRE NINJA. The new abilities are definitely cool, and will help a lot for my Dark Brotherhood quests too. Travelling under the veil of night from now on is also quite interesting. I could find a cure, but I'm a VAMPIRE NINJA.

Speaking of the DB, I've finished the first batch of quests (assigned by one agent, I'm now getting quests from another one). For those who are interested in how the quests have been so far:

1) Pirate:

The first contract was essentially to kill a pirate captain on his ship, while his whole crew was there. This one was pretty fun, albeit straightforward. Some good swashbuckling action, though. As you land on the ship, the crew attacks you. The city guards will come and assist you as well. As you descend into the captain's cabin, murder time. Then other crewdudes knock at the door "Capn, what's going on?????". You can retrieve a key from the Capn's hot sweaty bod and escape via a locked window.

2) Accident.

Kill someone in his home, make it look like an accident. You have to sneak into a home around X time and Y time, and release a animal trophy head onto some dude, who sits on his favorite chair between those times. Added twist is that there's also a manservant there, whom you have to avoid. Not killing him grants you a bonus.

3) Prison.

Break into jail. Kill prisoner. Simple. Bonus is if guards are all unharmed, so there's room for much stealth in this one.

4) Staging.

Stage someone's death. That someone hires the DB because some other group wants him dead as well. As the other party comes, you're to 'murder' the guy with a poisoned weapon, and later on revive him with the antidote when the hot sweaty corpse is lulled away into the cathedral. Some hot sweaty undead action here too.

My current one sounds pretty cool. Kill dude X, who lives in city Y. No more details are provided, so you have to do your own detective work.

All of this has been enjoyable so far, and a good distraction from the lackluster portion of the main storyline.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Yeesh, maybe I've waited too long or something, but I'm totally getting my ass handed to me when trying to save Kvatch. The guards that I'm with last nano-seconds, and I'm left trying to kill 4 or 5 guys by myself, and use cheap exploitative tactics like kill a guy, run away back to a bed, rest for an hour, and continue.

I have to let Slavin keep going unconscious and coming back to have any hope.

The farthest I can get to is the part where I raise the gates, and there's just too many guys, and they all want to focus on me as much as possible.

So far, have not really given much thought to the scaling, but I'm having a real bitch of a time in Kvatch.

Even closing the portal was a real challenge, with me exploiting those cauldrons that revive mana and health like crazy

. I had no idea I'd suck so bad at this game :o

I had no problem killing Vampires and whatnot a little earlier though :\

Edited by alanschu

I am a melee fighter, with the only spells being the two I was given at the beginning of the game.

I spam Cure a lot though, and I think I am actually an apprentice of Restoration now from that spell alone. So maybe I should invest in some new spells.

Though I typically don't like playing spell casting characters. I'm surprised how ineffective the sneak attack seems to be. While fighting in Kvatch, I was able to put myself behind one of the Daedric creatures, and I was able to hit it about 4 times with x6 damage (I'm assuming they were, as it kept spamming it on the top of the screen), while the guards were attacking it in the front, and it was still alive. Once the guards are gone though, I'm screwed.

I'm rolling through folks like a lawn mower. I'm currently hunting a Vampire. I haven't fought the baddie yet, but his minions are falling like timber.

Anyhow, can anyone tell me whether or not I have to be evil to be a vampire. If so, they're nothing but targets to me.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

No idea :D

Wonder if I will end up with my usual Elder Scrolls character after this tutorial.

I'm planning on something melee oriented with considerable "buffing" powers and healing :o

Hope they have a collector edition left.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I'm rolling through folks like a lawn mower.  I'm currently hunting a Vampire.  I haven't fought the baddie yet, but his minions are falling like timber.

Anyhow, can anyone tell me whether or not I have to be evil to be a vampire.  If so, they're nothing but targets to me.

There is no real "good and evil" in the game. The exception being if you do enough evil things the gods will not bless you at altars. You can be a good vampire, so long as you don't mind feeding on innocents.

I am a melee fighter, with the only spells being the two I was given at the beginning of the game.

I spam Cure a lot though, and I think I am actually an apprentice of Restoration now from that spell alone.  So maybe I should invest in some new spells.

Though I typically don't like playing spell casting characters.  I'm surprised how ineffective the sneak attack seems to be.  While fighting in Kvatch, I was able to put myself behind one of the Daedric creatures, and I was able to hit it about 4 times with x6 damage (I'm assuming they were, as it kept spamming it on the top of the screen), while the guards were attacking it in the front, and it was still alive.  Once the guards are gone though, I'm screwed.

Heal minor wounds is the spell you get in the beginning, and it is a terrible spell. It only heals 8 health per casting. You need a better spell.

Is your armor damaged/destroyed? Get it repaired. You need good armor in good shape if you're a melee d00d.

My armor and weapons are all above 90. Using Mithril pretty much everywhere, and a Dwarven Long Sword. My shield still kind of sucks though, I believe it's just a leather shield (or something...looks like wood to me).

I think my sneak attacks may have been compromised by being low on fatigue. Still having a bitch of a time.

I get the impression that I can't really leave and go do other stuff until I'm finished. Is that the case, or is there some sort of magical "Timestop for the PC" land in effect here?

You can leave, and mithril armor is not a good "stand and fight" armor. It is light armor. I would say your armor and shield are killing you.

For example, a mithral cuirass resists 8 points of damage per hit. An orcish cuirass (which should be readily available at your level) protects you from 13.75.

Leather shield? 7.5 protection (on a block).

Get a heavy shield, ANY heavy shield. Orcish will stop 16.5.

Will o' Wisps.  They tell you this

Thanks Shadow and Lyr. Kind of sad that my first instinct is to go to shops half way across the continent rather than look around the immediate area.

One more thing that's probably obvious. I can't find anybody who sells lock picks, there a certain person, or do you just find them?

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I'm doing pretty well with a light armored ninja using a sword and a shield. I keep agility up and run around a lot. I prefer dodging to just sucking up damage. I keep arrows handy too. I don't remember having much trouble in Kvatch. I let the guards absorb most of the damage while I flanked. My time in Oblivion was spent outrunning the enemy. My only battle there was the duel with the sigil keeper, and it wasn't particularly hard, either.

Could it be the difficulty level, as well? I've noticed they make a big difference. I keep mine at default normal. Unless they're areas where the battles are mindless and boring, then I put it on easy so that I can mow through them. Spam-clicking attack isn't my idea of a challenge.

For the locks, not that I've been actively looking around, but if you join the Dark Brotherhood, there's a guy there that'll sell a lot of them.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I swallowed my pride and downed the difficulty level a little bit.

The Mithril Armor though, is easily the best light armor I have found in the game so far. I have not found any orcish armor.

It's looking like I should probably spend more time using my bow from what I can tell, rather than my sword. I figured I'd need a better shield, though I didn't really have a hard time in one on one fights where I can use my shield, but rather the fact that the NPCs died in nanoseconds and it was suddenly 5 on 1.

Will o' Wisps.  They tell you this

Thanks Shadow and Lyr. Kind of sad that my first instinct is to go to shops half way across the continent rather than look around the immediate area.

One more thing that's probably obvious. I can't find anybody who sells lock picks, there a certain person, or do you just find them?

To be honest, I've never had to buy any, so I actually don't know. I know goblins drop them quite often, and if you're a member of the thieves guild the doran should have some.

I swallowed my pride and downed the difficulty level a little bit.

The Mithril Armor though, is easily the best light armor I have found in the game so far.  I have not found any orcish armor.

It's looking like I should probably spend more time using my bow from what I can tell, rather than my sword.  I figured I'd need a better shield, though I didn't really have a hard time in one on one fights where I can use my shield, but rather the fact that the NPCs died in nanoseconds and it was suddenly 5 on 1.

Increasing your level really only makes the game harder. From what I can gather you're ~10, which means NPCs will get swallowed up by spawns for you.

Something fun that I like to do: go around and gather followers. Some quests give you followers asking you to "take me to X." If you never take them to X, you can get a lot of followers :thumbsup:" Don't tell anyone I told you that...

Edited by Shadowstrider

Wow, man, those Oblivion guards are

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Ugh, there wen't my edit button :(

Anyways, all the merchants have it. Everybody is a creeper/mudcrab merchant now! Makes my wonder WHY anybody should ever pay them for +500 cash (as the manual says is possible)...

I wonder if the X-Boxers have this too... as these lucky basters have it unfixable then :) while we PC'ers probably no longer face it after patch #1 :thumbsup:

Nice... eh... NOT. Why give a money amount at all than if it doesn't mean jack at all 8) ?

Anyways, to answer SS questions:

2. Uhum, when I load the area the objects fly upwards (like the opposite of normal gravity, quite visible too). And yes; they actually stay there... I will convert my BMP-pic to jpeg and post it in a moment

Here is the pic. It happens with all the objects in the room (every room), but is hard to take a pic of. Most noticable with the vase on the left and the apples in the distance. Also adding a pic of my "arrest through the wall"

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

1) Known issue. (insta-armor guards)

2) Yes it is normal for objects appear to be floating. When an area is loaded items are "dropped" onto their location. Are you saying they aren't ever landing? Screenshots?

3) Not a bug. She has 50 gold to offer per purchase. If you go to a merchant with 1200 gold, they have 1200 gold per purchase. This is a result of people complaining about merchants not having enough gold in Morrowind. The solution was an "I'll pay this much for any one trade."

Edited by Shadowstrider

Nice... eh... NOT. Why give a money amount at all than if it doesn't mean jack at all  :thumbsup: ?

It does mean "jack." It was to keep the economy relatively balanced. There are items worth thousands of gold, but if the player was given even half the value of an item worth 10k gold, the economy breaks down, especially with the amount of magic items you get at the end of the game.

One glass armor cuirass with magical effects could be sold for a small fortune, and get you tons of potions/scrolls/etc... plus you could get a mundane item, enchant it and then sell it.

2. Uhum, when I load the area the objects fly upwards (like the opposite of normal gravity, quite visible too). And yes; they actually stay there... I will convert my BMP-pic to jpeg and post it in a moment

Likely, when you load into an area you "bump" them when positioned, this causes it if you load near a table or such.

Try for yourself. Enter an area where alot of items are. Save when facing the items. Now load.

Notice how all the items fly back into there original "above ground level" position and STAY there? My eyes do not decieve me...

Just a minor issue with the physics, but I love how you keep telling me "No bug, no bug, design decision, your mistake etc. etc. etc." :thumbsup:

^

Try for yourself. Enter an area where alot of items are. Save when facing the items. Now load.

Notice how all the items fly back into there original "above ground level" position and STAY there? My eyes do not decieve me...

Just a minor issue with the physics, but I love how you keep telling me "No bug, no bug, design decision, your mistake etc. etc. etc."  :thumbsup:

Read my post again, I've explained what causes it. When you load into an area you're "dropped in." The same applies to items. Sometimes things bounce. Is it a bug? Sure, is it important? No. Is it likely to be fixed? No.