Oblivion First Impressions

Hurlshort

To my dismay I have to say that Im having a lot of fun playing Oblivion, and if its still as fun when Ive come halfway through or so I think Im going to buy it. This is very strange since I cant stand Morrowind, and that took only an hour or two to realise.

If you legally owned a horse, and mount a different horse it returns to it's "home stable."  In otherwords, if you bought a horse from Bravil, and then mount Prior Maborel's horse, the horse from Bravil wanders back towards Bravil.

Ooh, goodie! I went back to the Priory and there it was. I think the manual for this game should have been twice as long so it could include useful info like that. If you hadnt told me, I would have been walking from town to town.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Ooh, goodie! I went back to the Priory and there it was. I think the manual for this game should have been twice as long so it could include useful info like that. If you hadnt told me, I would have been walking from town to town.

Most of the time, you get text telling you the horse has returned. In special cases (such as Maborel's horse) you get no feedback.

We should be grateful they actually somewhat covered spellmaking and enchanting this time. Now the Morrowind manual was truly skimpy.

manthing2.jpg

Damnit...I want to play my Kajiit thief!@!@!

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

What's keeping you from buying it Arkan?

I'm home on Spring Break and my computer (er..my new one) is at school. :(

Good thing is that I was able to wait a week to see if I should buy it...now i know I will, and it's driving me nuts...

Tomorrow.....tomorrow....

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

What's keeping you from buying it Arkan?

I'm home on Spring Break and my computer (er..my new one) is at school. :(

Good thing is that I was able to wait a week to see if I should buy it...now i know I will, and it's driving me nuts...

Tomorrow.....tomorrow....

I know the feeling. The stupid ass game stores where I live didn't even have it on release day. Some bull**** claim that the XBOX release day was one day later thna the PC one, and since they both ship together blah blah.

So do what I did on the release date, and legally download it. :(

manthing2.jpg

Another major gripe I would have with the game is that, despite their effort to breath life into the world (via Radiant AI - which, as far as I've seen so far, hasn't been groundbreaking in any way - and whatnot), they've pretty much failed. The world still feels pretty artificial. Ohnoz, evil gates to another dimension are popping up everywhere, please help us Chosen One! Why is the PC the only remotely competent individual in the world? Please do this, okay, now do that, then do this again, and that. The world revolves around the PC, without whom there can be no 'world'. You can go for a picnic and go pick mushrooms, but don't worry! The gates to Oblivion will gladly wait for you! Take your time!

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

What does anybody think of the issue discussed here?:

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11881

I was going to cave in and buy the game, but i want to wait out and see if this scaling issue is as bad as it sounds...

It's fine, don't even worry about that thread. I've done my share of bitching about Oblivion at the Codex(admitedly prior to playing it), but that's one area that the developers made a brilliant design decision.

Sure you can get through at level 1 by avoiding ever resting in an inn--to officially advance your level, but why the heck would you want to? The growth of your character would be very minimal. Your skill progression would stagnate from not increasing your attributes.

Having it so that enemies scale in power just ensures everything is challenging, but you also don't ever have to turn around just because you realize something is too "high level". If you can't overcome a fight, it's simply because you're not doing well enough skill-wise, or your not thinking it through enough. For example, I went on this sidequest that involved exploring the wreckage of a ship. The "end guy" was hard as hell, but I knew that it wasn't because he was too high level for me, but I simply had to play it smart and use everything in my arsenal to full effect, which after several tries, I managed to do.

It's also great because there are no low level trash monsters that make areas feel pointless to trudge through. I might be mistaken about this, but it seems rewards also scale depending on your level when you complete a sidequest as well.

There are also cheat codes in the game. One could argue that their mere exsistence makes the game pointless too, since you could basically breeze through it if you wanted. There's a simple solution though: don't use them, play the game the way it was meant to be played.

Another major gripe I would have with the game is that, despite their effort to breath life into the world (via Radiant AI - which, as far as I've seen so far, hasn't been groundbreaking in any way - and whatnot), they've pretty much failed. The world still feels pretty artificial. Ohnoz, evil gates to another dimension are popping up everywhere, please help us Chosen One! Why is the PC the only remotely competent individual in the world? Please do this, okay, now do that, then do this again, and that. The world revolves around the PC, without whom there can be no 'world'. You can go for a picnic and go pick mushrooms, but don't worry! The gates to Oblivion will gladly wait for you! Take your time!

Actually, NPCs can/do close Oblivion gates. There are at least three quests involving this.

I can't really comment on Radiant AI, but I will say this, it came to a point where the AI was, literally, ruining the game for the PC.

Essentially, the AI is fine. I don't really have any complaints about it. Even the NPC-NPC crapathon would be acceptable. The problem is how much freaking hype Bethie infused into it. Playing through the game, Radiant AI pretty much doesn't really mean anything. It's just AI. AI is fine, but just AI.

Hadescopy.jpg

I'm currently at a not-so-good part of the storyline (the linear 4 star maps sequence), so it's losing steam. We'll see how it turns out after this part is over with. I'm about to retrieve Jedi #3.

Hadescopy.jpg

Part 2.

Speaking of Part 1. Bethesda's attempt at introducing "diplomacy" into dialogue was hilarious.

"Give me that book!"

"No! It's not for sale!"

"What do you know about daedric cults?"

"More than you!"

"But they killed the emperor!"

"What? I didn't know that! Take the book! I don't want anything to do with them!"

The singular PC choice you were offered did not help, either. Oh well :(

Boromir is still a dream, though :rolleyes:

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

Being rushed is never fun and than it would take away from the opened endlessness my stupid little friend.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Actually, NPCs can/do close Oblivion gates. There are at least three quests involving this.

I can't really comment on Radiant AI, but I will say this, it came to a point where the AI was, literally, ruining the game for the PC.

Also: Picking mushrooms is an sacred Elder Scrolls pastime, just as killing rats is a general RPG tradition.

manthing2.jpg

Also: Picking mushrooms is an sacred Elder Scrolls pastime, just as killing rats is a general RPG tradition.

You gain 1-5 experiance points for each mushroom?

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I've been having an absolute blast. I joined the Thieves guild, which was fun, and I'm slowly getting better gear.

Oh, yeah, you NEED to rent a room at the Imperial Waterfront in, I can't remember the name but it's a ship. Just do it.