Oblivion First Impressions

Hurlshort

Thanks again, SS and Lyr. Loving the DB missions, by the way.

It's taking forever to save up for that black horse I want though. It'll be worth it though to actually be able to, I don't know, gallop rather than trot at a pace that'd give snails confidence in their sprinting ability.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Ok, I am now level 23 or 24. I am wearing a full set of glass armour and wielding a Daedric longsword. The only thing that can still kill me is a black bear in the forest! Isn't that weird? I can kill ogres, daedra lords, vampire patriarchs and so on without a problem. But when I meet a black bear in the forest.. *BOOM*

Anyhow, I am level 23 and I'm STILL using the heal spell that was given to me at the start. I've been going to all the temples in the cities I have visited so far (think I only have two more cities to visit) but I have yet to find a medium sized heal spell. I bought one that takes 58 magicka to cast and I think I have 64 when I am full. I am NOT using that one.

I've done some really cool side quests now. One had me entering a sleeping guy's dreams. Another had me as the target in a manhunt, where a bunch of well equipped hunters wanted to hunt human prey in an underground maze! A third one had me freeing the spirit of a dead seaman.. very nice, with a stranded ship and sunken treasure and all. The side quests have improved so much since Morrowind, it's almost hard to believe. I'm definitely impressed.

Maybe I'll start on the main quest soon.. I've only just figured out where the initiation shrine for the cult is (from the four books and stuff). The main quest just doesn't seem as interesting as the Tamriel world :thumbsup:)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

If you are doing DB missions don't buy a black horse

:-"

:thumbsup:

Why the bloody hell not?

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

ERrr, isn't it just that the guards aren't wearing their armor before you start fighting?

I mean, if you unequip the armor you are wearing, you look naked too.

"You cannot change armor when in combat" :-"

Anyways, still lvl 3 (prob. 5/6 after sleeping... leveling goes so fast!) and exploring the city a bit. Persuasion mini-game is fun, and abit on the easy side, as too gives major boostage to persuade skill. Before maxing desposition I usually have an additional level :huh:

Funny too how thieving works. If I stand behind shopkeep X (no stealth!) I can savely steal stuff from infront of the seller... if my char just stays behind her :- ("Hey didn't I just had a full desk? That weird kitty behind me couldn't have anything to do with it no? Besides that he visibly took everything and is my only customer")

Anyways, I wonder why I, who found Morrowind alot of fun in the begin, hate Oblivion so much in the beginning... while all the MW haters love this one? :thumbsup:

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Well colour me impressed thus far. I'd seen the game before so the graphics didnt really wow me too much. Then a found that swithch on the side of the lead...

What really impressed me though was just how intuative it was. That , and watching a rat bounce off my raised shield.

I'm playing a Khajjit. So I missed some of the subtleties of the face generator I guess. But it's right up there with Tiger Woods for making faces by the look of it.

My stealth skill has rocketed, mostly because I dont like the ready position of the weapon in normal mode.

I would like to know what creatures you can summon if anyone knows ? I've got a skeleton at the moment. But I'd really like to recreate my EQ Beast Lord if thats possible.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Oh, right. I forgot to add that the mini-games (lockpicking and the one where you try to make the character you're talking to like you) are not that hard at all. In the lockpick game, just choose one of the tumblers, move the mouse upwards and look at the speed with which the tumbler moves. If it's slow to come down, do it again. If it's fast to come down, do it again, but this time, when it reaches the top, left click the mouse to secure it. Repeat until all tumblers are open. This way always works for me: if I am patient and wait for the superfast tumbler fall, the next tumbler fall is always going to be slow and easy.

The persuasion mini game is also extremely easy now, but even though I know I have some kind of strategy, I don't know how to explain it. It usually only takes me less than 30 seconds to get them up from 30 (or whatever they begin with) to max. I actually do this to everyone I meet before I even click on any of the keywords. It's that easy. I've made a lot of friends in Tamriel (I know 90%+ of everyone in the Imperial City, Bruma, Skingrad and two more cities that I forgot the name of absolutely love me). Wish it was that easy in real life too.

Agreed with mkreku. The persuasion minigame is extremely easy, and will be for anyone with a rudimentary hold on logic. It only takes me 10-20 seconds to get someone's disposition up to max, though, so it's not too tedious yet.

One thing that disturbs me though is that I begun persuading everyone to like me because I thought that by doing so, I would get more keywords, or at least new replies to the old keywords. So far that's been a disappointment because noone has ever said anything interesting/new because of their high disposition towards me. The only thing that's happened is that they've sometimes said "I don't know you well enough.." beforehand and then said the same thing everyone else has already said after some persuation.

If you are doing DB missions don't buy a black horse

:-"

:-

Why the bloody hell not?

:D Ohhhh, now I know why.

Sucked to have to do that in order to advance though...goes against every moral and ethic I have in me. The other killings not withstanding. o:)

Edited by LoneWolf16

- Everlast

Soooo, where exactly can I find a better, not too expensive healing spell? I guess I could just stock up on healing potions >_<

My tip for the lock picking is to wait for the "really slow to move up" one. Once I see that one, I click. I probably locked about 100 consecutive tumblers in a row at one point. It's a bit nerve racking when doing the "hard" ones though, because if I screw up I have to do another 3 tumblers as well :(

Edited by alanschu

It's odd that finding a decent healing spell should turn out to be the toughest riddle for everyone so far..

Edit: Does this mean that noone plays a magic-user?

Edited by mkreku

It's odd that finding a decent healing spell should turn out to be the toughest riddle for everyone so far..

Edit: Does this mean that noone plays a magic-user?

I took one look at the magic system and went "Im not even going to poke that with a stick". I dont even know how to learn new spells.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

STILL haven't got into it... man how freaking awefull... starting to get pretty annoying.

I have combed the entire Imperial City now; talked to over a hundred NPC's and all I got was 8 Fed-Ex quest...man, do you really need to start the main quest for fun missions or what?

Still not happy with the combat system; it turns out to be more button-mashing than Diablo2. When pressing right mouse the time when you shield arrive seems totally random. Sometimes instant, but most after you took a beating of 10 beats. Melee combat with 2 or more NPC's is impossible, since you cannot actually aim for which one you wan't... and due to the large beating you get blocking is equal to suicide. Also when it is over is unclear because Health Display switches faster of size than a guard of armor :)

Also the many times in the Arena enemies walk through you or teleport around is pathetic... first you beat them, then they are whacking you in the back... Grrr

Melee on Ranged is pretty cool though; altough a bit easy. Keep that shield up, and after the hit charge up and hit right mouse 20 times in a row... that's the only tactic I have to use

Radiant AI pisses me off too. It would probably be less worse if there weren't these "map crossing doors" where they dissapear at one and then appear at the other. The fact they have to walk through 5 of those sometimes to get to their destination makes missing so easy you can wander a unexplored area and meet only old faces and then meet 5 new faces in the old explored areas <_< . Also the many times the NPC's told me about how great their house or area was, while they were in the street/other area is annoying, or that when traveling through some doors apparently somebody wen't with me through that door that wasn't even on the same map :)

And then a husband told me he cheated on his wife, and not to tell his wife. One guess what I tried to do... but it was not possible. GRRRRRRR!

I can probably keep ranting all day, but more usefull is to ask WHAT you guys did to make it actually enjoyable instead of a "find a NPC, rumor/imperial city, then move on to the next boring NPC" annoying game... so I can maybe finnally atleast can start having some fun :( Never even had so much annoying stuff with MW.

And on the technical issues:

Above my hardlocks I now had 2 CTD's, a blue screen of death with immediate system termination and a monitor reset to 320x240

Edit; oh and on the flying item stuff; I even saw a guard who had it... quite funny to see him stand there and then flew up :lol:

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

And on the technical issues:

Above my hardlocks I now had 2 CTD's, a blue screen of death with immediate system termination and a monitor reset to 320x240

Can you do me a favor?

Go to My Documents\My Games\Oblivion and send me a PM with any and all items found here?

Additionally, are there any .dmp files in your main Oblivion installation folder?<C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion> If there are tell me.

I was going to PM you with this query, but this goes to anyone who experiences a crash or hardlock.

I successfully fought and killed a 2 on 1 fight in the arena. As just melee.

I haven't even seen this health display you talk about. I'd love to know how much health the enemies have.

Quite frankly, to me it seems you're making stuff out to be as bad as humanly possible, to the point where you are starting to make things up, just to slag on the game.

Edited by alanschu