Oblivion First Impressions

Hurlshort

What the hell do they mean with "Radiant AI" anyway? :lol: Like the NPCs near you are really smart but the further away the dumber they get?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Well the last quest I did today was one for the mages guild. Find an invisible mage. Although I found him (detect life very handy) I still had to go through the quest path before anyone would acknowledge it. :(

And I thought using detect life was a rather clever way to find an invisible mage too.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Finding an invisible mage with something that detects life seems pretty obvious, though. Is there any way detect life is useful on non-standard or predetermined things?

No idea. Suppose it's handy if your in a dark area but my kitty has "blue" vision (night vision in blue) so it's of no particular use generally. Although my game seems to be a lot less dark than the screenshots people have posted here. Could be because I'm playing it on a TV.

And the aforementioned invisible things. Although most will cast and then immediately attack anyway.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I can see the usefulness but its use seems fairly obvious. It would be like finding a water elemental trough a "Find Water" spell; it's a logical extension of the spell or of what is expected from the spell.

What I was getting at is that the quest wouldnt allow you to finish it that way. You still had to follow the prescribed quest path in order to complete it.

478327[/snapback]

gotta say that we do not understand the reviews. we can see how people could like oblivion, but the lovefest is kinda... strange. is just too many busted things in oblivion to be giving it a score o' 9+ on a 10 scale... not that we likes numeric scores in reviews anyways.

what is Gromnir talking 'bout?

example 1: generally we not mind the oblivion scaling scheme, but you can unwittingly really screw yourself with a gimped character. marksmanship w/o sneak seems to be worthless... 'specially once you level up a ways. level up too fast in the diplomatic & thieving skills can also gimp you as you end up confronting super buffed imps and other such nonsense when you not gots requisite combat skills. (side note: at least the FO fans should be happy. seeing such an unbalanced skills offering should be reminding folks of FO in a big way... no doubt bodes well for FO3, eh?)

combat sophistication is pretty limited. chances are you is gonna find one scheme and you is gonna use that for almost every encounter in game... gets kinda dull.

does the persuasion minigame actually do anything... other than level up your speech skill real fast?

the dialogues is really terrible for the most part. started off bad with patrick stewart and has not improved since. the plotting isn't as bad as morrowind, but the writing as just terrible.

etc.

now don't get Gromnir wrong. is not that this game is complete crap by any means. quests seem much more involved than the fedex overkill of morrowind... bethesda has made great strides in this aspect of game development, and if we were seeing reviews o' oblivion based solely on how much better it is than were morrowind the 9+ scores would be deserved.

am simply wondering what in the heck we is missing? does other folks playing honestly see this as a game that is head and shoulders better than any crpg released in the last five years... 'cause many of the reviews is giving this game better numbers ratings than any other crpg we has seen in a long time.

will do a complete review in a couple of days, but am just trying to understand if we is missing something... something that so many others see in oblivion that Gromnir does not.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Finding an invisible mage with something that detects life seems pretty obvious, though. Is there any way detect life is useful on non-standard or predetermined things?

No idea. Suppose it's handy if your in a dark area but my kitty has "blue" vision (night vision in blue) so it's of no particular use generally. Although my game seems to be a lot less dark than the screenshots people have posted here. Could be because I'm playing it on a TV.

And the aforementioned invisible things. Although most will cast and then immediately attack anyway.

I think, as people have stated, it has more to do with the way the screenshots are taken and how the gamma is not taken into account. My screen isn't that dark either, and I'm on a standard CRT monitor.

gotta say that we do not understand the reviews.  we can see how people could like oblivion, but the lovefest is kinda... strange.  is just too many busted things in oblivion to be giving it a score o' 9+ on a 10 scale... not that we likes numeric scores in reviews anyways.

what is Gromnir talking 'bout? 

example 1: generally we not mind the oblivion scaling scheme, but you can unwittingly really screw yourself with a gimped character.  marksmanship w/o sneak seems to be worthless... 'specially once you level up a ways.  level up too fast in the diplomatic & thieving skills can also gimp you as you end up confronting super buffed imps and other such nonsense when you not gots requisite combat skills.  (side note:  at least the FO fans should be happy.  seeing such an unbalanced skills offering should be reminding folks of FO in a big way... no doubt bodes well for FO3, eh?)

combat sophistication is pretty limited.  chances are you is gonna find one scheme and you is gonna use that for almost every encounter in game... gets kinda dull.

does the persuasion minigame actually do anything... other than level up your speech skill real fast?

the dialogues is really terrible for the most part.  started off bad with patrick stewart and has not improved since.  the plotting isn't as bad as morrowind, but the writing as just terrible.

etc.

now don't get Gromnir wrong.  is not that this game is complete crap by any means.  quests seem much more involved than the fedex overkill of morrowind... bethesda has made great strides in this aspect of game development, and if we were seeing reviews o' oblivion based solely on how much better it is than were morrowind the 9+ scores would be deserved.

am simply wondering what in the heck we is missing?  does other folks playing honestly see this as a game that is head and shoulders better than any crpg released in the last five years... 'cause many of the reviews is giving this game better numbers ratings than any other crpg we has seen in a long time. 

will do a complete review in a couple of days, but am just trying to understand if we is missing something... something that so many others see in oblivion that Gromnir does not. 

HA! Good Fun!

I feel the same way. People are still in the honeymoon stage of playing the game. There are some bugs that need ironed out (and fast, just check out ES forums), and the game is basically going to be MW with better graphics and some better quests. I liked MW and I think I'll like Oblivion more...but I don't know what numerical score I'd give the game. 9? Probably not.

The speechcraft mini game does achieve something, though it can take a while based on the order you choose and your speechcraf skill. took me a while to get it but I can eek out about a 10 point improvement each "round."

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I agree with Gromnir. The scaling has left me mixed feelings. If you skip on too many combat skills and level up like crazy, you're going to be in a world of hurt, which is too bad.

On the plus side, the difficulty slider makes a signficant difference. Even just a shift makes guys significantly more manageable. Which is good, as it means you can avoid getting permanently stuck. It's bad though, as it really shouldn't be a necessity in the event of a non-combat build.

At the same time, I think "balance" can be a little overrated. I actually don't mind the odd area where my higher level guy has little problems, as it helps give the image that my character has become rather strong. Too much of it though, of course, is a bad thing. I was a little surprised though that my lower level character had little problem wiping out a cave of vampires.

am simply wondering what in the heck we is missing? does other folks playing honestly see this as a game that is head and shoulders better than any crpg released in the last five years... 'cause many of the reviews is giving this game better numbers ratings than any other crpg we has seen in a long time.

I suspect a good chunk of the score is for how ambitious of a design it is. The two biggest flaws with the game are the balance system, as well as the main story (though I have only just touched on that). I am genuinely having a ton of fun with this game though. I'm currently playing with the Thieves Guild for the most part, as well as just getting started on the Mages Guild. Some of the Thieves Guild quests have been a ton of fun. It is kind of funny as my current quest had a requirement that I fence like 600 gold worth of goods...and I think I'm at like 2100. The "Independent Thievery" quests require zero effort from me now. As soon as I get it, I've completed it :D

It did probably get a few points for hype acknowledgement as well. The freedom of the game is a real joy IMO.

Edited by alanschu

"took me a while to get it but I can eek out about a 10 point improvement each "round." "

to what end? is not like you get more dialogue options or quest choices. am understanding that you can make everybody love you, but why should Gromnir care?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I agree. The only real advantage of the Speechcraft is for further conversations...which aren't really difficult.

It'd make more sense if the guy cut things off if you hit a low rating, but I was at 0 for quite some time when I was still learning it. About the only good thing I can see with it is that I took it as a class skill, so (for better or worse because of the scaling) I can level up with it.

"took me a while to get it but I can eek out about a 10 point improvement each "round." "

to what end?  is not like you get more dialogue options or quest choices.  am understanding that you can make everybody love you, but why should Gromnir care?

HA! Good Fun!

Well, you can get more information or persuade people to give up items and such (quest related). Gromnir doesn't have to care if he doesn't want to. Practicing does increase your speechcraft skill, yes, but that's the name of the game. There were many times in MW when making someone like my character more helped complete quests without resorting to combat.

Not saying it's perfect, but it does have some purposes.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

It is used.  But I get the impression I could successfully perform those persuasions with a speechcraft of 5.  I guess it just makes it less tedious.

Possibly, but I usually have speechcraft as a major skill, so I wouldn't know.

I guess the one place where it is really useful is when haggling.  You get better deals if their disposition to you is high.  I always persuade the merchants.

Yeah, me too.