Oblivion First Impressions

Hurlshort

I've been trying to improve my archery, and I had the most satisfying kill yet. I hit an imp in the head with an arrow at long range, and he went down right away. When I walked up to him, it seriously looked like it was sticking out of his eye. Sweetness.

If they gave us a party and a form of turn base combat using this engine should be very interesting in Fallout 3.

Really?

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

:blink:

Rollmeister > TBS freakos

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

What, Metadigital?  What?!?!?  Why are you looking at me like that?  :blink:

turn base combat

What is wrong with turned based combat? It worked wonderfully in the Fallout games.

There is nothing wrong with it, per se; it's just that you cannot add "turn based" to an engine: everything has to be re-defined in the turn-based method. Non-trivial.

And the continuing fascist opinion that "if it's not turn-based, it's not Fallout".

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

My reference was to the Fallout games and similar games that copied them. I prefer games not to be turned based except those that make use of ranged combat extensively like Fallout does. It would not work for me in a game like Baldur's Gate or Oblivion where you use melee as your weapons of choice.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

My reference was to the Fallout games and similar games that copied them. I prefer games not to be turned based except those that make use of ranged combat extensively like Fallout does. It would not work for me in a game like Baldur's Gate or Oblivion where you use melee as your weapons of choice.

I use bow and arrow, and spells exclusively on most my characters.

Woah. :blink: That much from EG?!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I'm a-gonna go kick my friend and ask why he's not rushing to the store yet. :blink:

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

A friend of mine has discovered the first gamestopping bug. He can start the game, stand in the cell in the beginning for a minute or so and when the Emperor and guards come, Oblivion makes the computer reboot itself.

No. More likely his video card is overheating.

Specs?

Yes thats more likely given that he said he got some sort of bluescreen. Hes using an ASUS laptop with a Geforce 4200 to go. I cant determine the exact laptop model.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Fallout 3 just won't be Fallout without idiotic party members who shoot you in the back.

In TES' defense, the one-liner NPCs in Fallout were just as freaking bloody pointless as the idiotic NPC-NPC crapathon in Oblivion, or - *gasp* - even Morrowind's encyclopedias. The difference, of course, is that Fallout didn't consist exclusively of one-liners. From that perspective, the keyword drivel could even be deemed tolerable as a replacement for conversation with unimportant NPCs. A keyword/rumors check could replace a random one-liner; it'd just be tackled in a different manner. This, of course, is no excuse to propagate this disease to the bulk of the storyline.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

What, Metadigital?  What?!?!?  Why are you looking at me like that?  :blink:

turn base combat

What is wrong with turned based combat? It worked wonderfully in the Fallout games.

did it? from a publisher pov we ain't sure you could say that tb worked in fo. sales for fo was nice, but not great. publishers needs to ask why fo weren't a great seller.

fergie was with interplay and bis during the development and publishing of the fo games, and when asked why he weren't developing tb games post fo2 fergie admitted that it were not a popular feature. hypothesizing on reason for lack of tb approval fergie admitted that even the best tb combat could become "soul numbing."

toee, as 'posed to fo, were probably the game that coulda' changed the minds of crpg fans. admittedly, even in toee, which did a much better job with large scale tb combats than did fo, tb could become tedious... but taken as a whole we thinks combat were a positive in toee... one of the few positives of toee. initial sales of toee were very strong... but they trailed off fast. we suspect that word off mouth helped kill toee.... bad rpg elements, terrible writing and bugginess were just tip of the dirty diaper pile that were toee, and the internet were full of people complaining 'bout toee shortcomings.

but What If remains to haunt us. what if toee had been developed by non arse-clowns? what if toee had become the start of an ongoing series as it were originally envisioned. what if millions of people had been exposed to pretty good tb combat, as 'posed to a few hundred angry fans who were unable to recall toee w/o either cursing atari or troika (though few people cursed both troika and atari... go figure.)

did tb work wonderfully in fo? we don

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

TB is irrelevant. Look at Civ4's sales.

POR2 was #1 bestselling game for 2 weeks in a row, despite murdering the OS. It, of course, plummetted quickly afterwards for those reasons. Had it been a good game, the trend was looking good.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)