Oblivion First Impressions

Hurlshort

Im not sure I understand what TB means. Is TB what was used in the BG and IWD series?

A game where you have enforced waiting while the enemy moves. Although BG and IWD had turns ticking away in the background you could move whenever you liked and pause whenever you liked.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Turn based, simply.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

did tb work wonderfully in fo?

I think the whole problem with the turnbased model in Fallout was that it only applied, controlwise, to a single character. It was soul numbing because players had to sit back and watch party NPCs slug trough it without any kind of player input. In a game like Temple of Elemental Evil, it becomes much more attractive and interactive to issue orders to a group which you have full control over; you can analyze the battlefield and devise tactics that take NPC skills into consideration.

In Fallout there wasn't much you can do beyond controlling the PC, then wait for every other character in the current battle to make their move. To that degree I agree it wasn't a success. It worked as a means to an end, but that's pretty much all I can say about it.

The ToEE model was vastly superior for a number of reasons and ideally that would be where I would like to see Fallout's combat model go, with perhaps only a small number of improvements.

I think the whole problem with the turnbased model in Fallout was that it only applied, controlwise, to a single character. It was soul numbing because players had to sit back and watch party NPCs slug trough it without any kind of player input. In a game like Temple of Elemental Evil, it becomes much more attractive and interactive to issue orders to a group which you have full control over; you can analyze the battlefield and devise tactics that take NPC skills into consideration.

In Fallout there wasn't much you can do beyond controlling the PC, then wait for every other character in the current battle to make their move. To that degree I agree it wasn't a success. It worked as a means to an end, but that's pretty much all I can say about it.

The ToEE model was vastly superior for a number of reasons and ideally that would be where I would like to see Fallout's combat model go, with perhaps only a small number of improvements.

Do you know which body parts I would freaking sell for a game with TOEE's combat and NWN2's toolset????

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Do you know which body parts I would freaking sell for a game with TOEE's combat and NWN2's toolset????

Hum... I'll take a guess by choosing the obvious immature's body part of choice.

Your BLEEEPnis?

Edited by astr0creep

BG and KotOR are not TB. You can pause, and there are turns being worked on behind the scenes, but you have no direct control over the turns. TB is also traditionally a non-frantic style of gameplay. You have as much time as you need to make your decisions, and the tactics are in the details. BG and KotOR were frantic, pause, frantic, pause...very different.

Civilization is an entirely different genre and so can't be compared to Fallout, Jagged Alliance, or ToEE. The TB functions on an entirely different level.

When you make combat real time, you are often giving up details like positioning, cover, and other tactics that can be interesting. But some people prefer the frenetic combat, so it's all about personal preferences.

A cheapshot argumet I used in a turnbased vs. realtime argument we had at Uni a while ago was

"If youre so adamant that realtime doesnt take away strategy/tactics, have you tried playing chess in realtime?"

And we tried that, it was very much like a typical RTS game where he who can spam the enemy with units the fastest wins. It didnt quite work IRL where you could move the pieces as fast as your hands could move but i think it could be done in a computer game.. it would suck, but it would be possible :D

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Chess dosnt have much relevance though. Yes it's TB but it's not like a game where statistics determine the outcome. The tactics in chess come from the restricted pathing. Thats something that dosnt apply to games.

If you can do it in real time, then you should. It's pointless trying to simulate a real time enviroment when you dont have to.

Full party control made TOEE less dull than FO (since in FO your waiting not only for the enemy, but also your own companions to act). Yet full party control is as unfallout as being real time.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]