New Stuff

Oerwinde

So my girlfriend wants to get me a new wallet. My wallet is fine. I like my wallet, it holds my money, it holds my change, I like the style, etc. But my girlfriend doesn't like my wallet because its 6 years old, and the velcro doesn't work. Is it wrong that I don't want a new wallet? We had an hour and a half conversation about this.

Also, I don't like leather. Leather wallets, leather furniture, leather car interior, etc. I just don't like it. Is that wierd?

My roommate thinks its crazy that I'd rather have a $40 timex than a $10,000 rolex. I told him I'd totally take the $10k rolex, sell it, buy a $40 timex and a new home theatre system. I just figure whats the point of spending 10k on a watch, when the timex is more accurate and you can read it in the dark.

He also thinks I'm crazy because he said we should all go to this expensive restaurant and spend 50 bucks on a meal and I said I'd rather use that money to buy 2 dvds or a video game.

This stuff makes sense to me, but other people seem to think I'm nuts.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

My roommate thinks its crazy that I'd rather have a $40 timex than a $10,000 rolex. I told him I'd totally take the $10k rolex, sell it, buy a $40 timex and a new home theatre system. I just figure whats the point of spending 10k on a watch, when the timex is more accurate and you can read it in the dark.

I'd rather have the Rolex for the exact reason you stated. Though I'm not sure what the second-hand market for Rolexes is I'm sure that the sale - 40 is worth the effort.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Also, I don't like leather. Leather wallets, leather furniture, leather car interior, etc. I just don't like it. Is that wierd?

Lots of people don't like carrying around bits of dead animal.

I don't think your weird either. You just seem beyond the whole status symbol thing.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

You have people who need to show off the bling bling, and you have people like you and me(and others :( ) that would rather have the cash to feed our families.

A 10k watch, the fact that it exists, is wrong. Somebody would give it to me and I would sell it for either a home theater like you, or a very nice down payment on a new car, if I needed one.

I guess when you have everything, your needs will change. I'm very poor so my needs are basic and the value of money is higher than it would be if I was uber-rich I suppose.

I have no needs for luxuries. My wallet is falling apart but I never have any money on me. So I don't need a new one, I just keep my ATM card in my pocket.

And I hate leather too. Makes me sweat too much.

Yes you are weird. I mean, velcro...? Ewww.

I have a leather wallet, but anyone who thinks this thing is a status symbol probably also thinks owning a pile of dirt is a status symbol.

I agree about the watch. I just wanna be albe to tell the damn time.

I don't much care for expensive restaurants, except on special occasions. Of course I'm also not one of these people who whines about how horrible fast food supposedly is, either.

Edited by Hell Kitty

If you live in a $100k house, then you don't buy a $10k watch.

If you have several $20million mansions in various cities, like Monte Carlo, NY, London, Venice, etc, and a garage full of cars like Ferrari, Maclaren Bentley and Maybach, then spending $1m on a Patek Phillippe that your great-grandson can hand to his great-grandson might be a worthy purchase.

And Velcro? Man, get a new wallet ... that just screams VAGRANT. :(

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

A 10k watch, the fact that it exists, is wrong.

It's not wrong. It's capitalism. As long as there are people willing to pay that much, there will be $10k watches.

Myself, I don't use a watch. My mobile phone is enough to tell the time, so a watch is unnecessary. I don't think I would want a $10k watch, but then again, I've never had one. I'd gladly accept the money though, and waste it promptly and merrily.

Bottom line is, you shouldn't let your gf decide what wallet you should use. First it's the wallet, and before you know how, you're using deodorant and wearing underwear.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

A good thing with mobile phones is that you dont need a watch. And Im very prejudiced towards people who have expensive watches, they tend to be very materialistic and more or less soulless.

I think people who came up with these things were the ones not thinking. Leather does not breath. If you spend an hour driving in the summer, itll make this "squich" sucking sound as you get out of your seat because your ass and back will be drenched with sweat.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I have a leather wallet, but anyone who thinks this thing is a status symbol probably also thinks owning a pile of dirt is a status symbol.

I agree about the watch. I just wanna be albe to tell the damn time.

I don't much care for expensive restaurants, except on special occasions. Of course I'm also not one of these people who whines about how horrible fast food supposedly is, either.

^What he said.

Of course I get the concept that if you dont have disposable cash those things would seem outlandish but give it a few years.

So my girlfriend wants to get me a new wallet. My wallet is fine. I like my wallet, it holds my money, it holds my change, I like the style, etc. But my girlfriend doesn't like my wallet because its 6 years old, and the velcro doesn't work. Is it wrong that I don't want a new wallet? We had an hour and a half conversation about this.

He also thinks I'm crazy because he said we should all go to this expensive restaurant and spend 50 bucks on a meal and I said I'd rather use that money to buy 2 dvds or a video game.

This stuff makes sense to me, but other people seem to think I'm nuts.

In any relationship, people are going to see things like this differently and that's ok. The best thing to do is to accept the wallet and take it as her expressing, in a way that is meaningful to her, that she cares about you and wants you to be taken care of.

In her eyes, wallets aren't just about function they're also about form. The way she sees it, it is valuable for you not just to be able to hold money, but also to have a nice looking, stylish wallet. It will hold your money, and also say to people, "This guy is taken care of."

So take it that way, even if the actual thing doesn't make much difference to you. Learning to express love/concern in the way the other person wants it to be expressed is important, and accepting love/concern from someone in the way *they* know how to express it is just as important.

At the end of the day, it isn't as much about a wallet as it is about her caring for you. Certainly she has to learn to express that care in ways that are meaningful to you, but it cases like this, it is best for you to take it for what it is and express gratitude to her.

That's my advice.

LOL! :rolleyes:

I have 2 agree...

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

:- I had the exact same problem. I have an old nylon and velcro wallet. BUt unlike yours mine is still in perfect operating condition. My girlfriend objected and wanted me to have a more 'manly' leather one. I object because the nylon one is doing the bloody job.

Of course, I also like testing to see who gets snobbish when I pull out the battered thing. People who do get on the list for further observation.

However, in many other areas I WILL go for a more expensive option. Suits and shoes for work, for example. But that's still going to be on the basis of strength and utility rather than famous brands. And incidentally, only merchant bankers should wear pinstripe IMO, no matter what the magazines say.

Anyway, in general buying things just so you've got new things is idiotic and snobbish.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

For the curious ones, this is my wallet:

post-296-1142457863_thumb.jpg

post-296-1142457876_thumb.jpg

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I think it's all in what matters to you. About wallets and watches, I'll go for the practical and useful every time, because expensive watches break twice as fast as cheap ones--a Timex breaks, I just throw it away and get a new one, and I'm happy. That's part of who I am; I don't buy stuff that I'm afraid to touch for fear of getting it dirty. I don't believe in the concept of 'good' china that gets dusted off once a year, and when you die it's still there, because it never got used. And I don't go to a restaurant because it's fancy, I go to have a nice meal that I can enjoy with my friends. It's no good if I'm not comfortable or feel out of place there.

But that's kind of what bothers me about others telling me what I should do or use or wear (unless the purple shirt has a hole in it). Constructive criticism or logical argument I can take, but if somebody's constantly pushing, I start wondering if what I am isn't good enough. Trying to change a person's basic nature isn't caring, it's making them into whoever you wanted in the first place. And it doesn't work.

I don't think you are crazy. I have a leather wallet, but it's a cheap $20 wallet that I got for christmas many years ago. I have a $40 Timex. Currently it stays in my pocket as the watch strap is too small for my wrist and I'm too lazy to get a bigger strap/new watch.

On the matter of leather furniture though I'll have to disagree. My uncle has this pair of leather couches and a large chair that have to be the most comfortable furniture I've ever had the pleasure of using. It's just so comfortable... :)