Looking for sad music

Pope

What do you mean by sad? See, there are many types of "sad." For example the second theme from Easthaven, in IWD, is very depressing (the music for the return to Easthaven, when Belhifet has erected Crenshinnibon). However, if you didn't play IWD1, and hear the original version, it loses a cord. You don't exactly know WHY its sad, it just is.

On the other hand, you could go with something from a movie, like the theme from when Gandolf falls in FotR, and the fellowship runs out of Moria, there is some fairly sad music.

It is hard to say, really, one man's "depressing" music could be completely boring or without purpose on another person. If you put it in context for what kind of sad you're looking for it will be easier.

Is it sadness caused by the loss of something? Is it a general depression because nothing ever goes right? Sad because something bad is about to happen, and you want to build up to it?

There are a lot of types of moods, "sad" is too general.

I also sometimes when looking for "sad" music end up being satisfied/getting the same effect from music which may be more..."reflective" music instead.

For instance Era: Ameno (Remix), is not typical sad music but for some reason gets me thinking and a couple of tracks from the Sims 2, quite strangely even one of the "Pop" style ones makes me think/acknowledge how screwed my future is.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Nice mental exercises, but some music strikes most listeners as sad, even without any context other than their ears. A good example would be Nick's Adagio for Strings. It has a certain melancholy quality for most listeners, regardless of context.

I'm not saying that context is irrelevant. I'm saying it is not necessary.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Not instrumental, but sad lyrically and musically: Nine Inch Nails - Hurt.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

A slow minor one-four-five?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

The song "Heavy Price Paid" from the Halo 2 soundtrack is instrumental...and kinda sad sounding.

I generally don't listen to depressing music, since all it does is just depress me. Why would I want that?

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

What about the Sleheyron (based on filename anyway) track from KotOR 1? It's the music that plays when you go into that Mysterious Rakata Prison Box.

If you downloaded that "KotOR Soundtrack" from a while ago it's #42 - Unknown World.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

A lot of older celtic type music (not reels) is what I would call 'hauntingly sad' - not sobbing/tears kind of sad...just melancholy.

...spelling mistooks...can we have that 1 minute 'edited by' delay back? huh? >_<

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

A lot of older celtic type music (not reels)  is what I would call 'hauntingly sad' - not sobbing/tears kind of sad...just melancholy.

...spelling mistooks...can we have that 1 minute 'edited by' delay back? huh? :rolleyes:

I agree with that Celtic music is sad. Soundtracks to movies can be sad, depending on the movie. Some of the themes from Lord of the Rings has a sad feeling to it to name one.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Here's what I listen when I'm in a mood for sad, melanconic and yet beautiful music:

Hildegard von Bingen: Favus distilans - nothing else can calm me down like her music :)

J.S. Bach:St Matthew Passion, BWV244 & BMV140 - spiritual, I only like it preformed in German, the essence gets lost when performed in English.

A.Vivaldi: Four seasons - Autumn & Winter - I like them best preformed in E-dur...

W.A. Mozart: Nachtmusik - especially part 2 Romanze - Andante , one of the best compositions in classical music ever

W.A. Mozart: Requiem - especially Kyrie - it's sad but yet so powerful, one of my favourite

V. Bellini: Norma; Casta Diva - very melanconic, excellent vocal

ornamentation

G.Donizetti: Lucia di Lammermoor - masterpiece, one of my favourite operas

R.Wagner: Tristan & Isolda - don't listen to this if you're sucidial :p , actually I would recommend this only for die hard Wagner fans - not my preference

G.Puccini: Tosca; E lucevan le stelle - Cavaradossi's Act III aria - best opera ever in my opinion. ;)

L. van Beethoven: moonlight sonata - a must

R.Schumann: In the Wonderful Month of May and his other similar compositions - nothing brings back my childhood memories like his music ^_^

That's it, I listen mostly classical music but I hope this will help ;)

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.