Well my intrest in NWN2 just tripled =)

Darque

Damn straight.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Yes, yes it is. But, then again, people who post on internet sites debating and discussing video games based on those shouldn't really be bragging about their so called 'non geekiness'. :)

R00fles!

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That's why we didn't brag. :)

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Yes, yes it is. But, then again, people who post on internet sites debating and disucsisng video games based on those shouldn't really be bragging about their so called 'non geekiness'. :)

R00fles!

I'm not really discussing any games here, just wasting my time.

But yes, you're right. I r teh ubergeek!!1

Volourn: Animal Companions do gain improved evasion, however they gain it at 15th level whereas familiars gain it at 1st.

A 20th level animal companion will have:

+12HD

+12 Natural AC bonus

+6 Strength and Dexterity

7 bonus tricks

Link (handle as free action, push as move, +4 bonus on wild empathy and handle animal checks regarding animal companions)

Share Spells (Druid can have any spell he/she casts on self affect companion)

Improved Evasion

Devotion (Companion gains +4 bonus to will saves vs enchantment effects)

Multi-Attack (If applicable)

A 20th level familiar will have:

Half master's hit points (doesn't say only wizard/sorceror levels)

For effects related to HD, HD are equal to master's character level (or normal, whichever is higher)

Master's BAB as calculated from all classes (the +18 for 18 barb levels count...)

Master's saving throws

Skills, use master's or those for normal animal (whichever is higher)

+10 Natural AC

15 Intelligence score

Improved Evasion

Share Spells (as Druids)

Empathic Link (can sense emotions of other at up to 1 mile away)

Can deliver touch spells for the master

Speak with Master (Can communicate verbally with master, others need magical help to understand)

Speak with Animals of it's kind

Spell Resistance 25

Scry on Familiar

Is that 3.5, Deraldin cause it's not in 3.0 PHB.? If so, wow, they sure boosted Animal Companions big time.

P.S. Before someone starts whining about NWN2 being 3.5, I'd like to point out that the basic convo started here when some suggested that NWN familiars were wayyyyyyyyyyy more powerful than their pnp counterparts.

It seems as per Deraldin's list there that in 3.5 that Animal Comapnions got a HUGE powergaming boost. So yeah, it seems that in 3.5, AC are over powering munchkins.

P.S.S. It alsos eems Derladin confirms that even in 3.5, the familiar gets half the hit points of the Master.

Thanks for the 3.5 info; though. :shifty:

Edited by Volourn

Is that 3.5, Deraldin cause it's not in 3.0 PHB.? If so, wow, they sure boosted Animal Companions big time.

P.S. Before someone starts whining about NWN2 being 3.5, I'd like to point out that the basic convo started here when some suggested that NWN familiars were wayyyyyyyyyyy more powerful than their pnp counterparts.

It seems as per Deraldin's list there that in 3.5 that Animal Comapnions got a HUGE powergaming boost. So yeah, it seems that in 3.5, AC are over powering munchkins.

P.S.S. It alsos eems Derladin confirms that even in 3.5, the familiar gets half the hit points of the Master.

Thanks for the 3.5 info; though. :shifty:

Yeah, I don't have the 3.0 stuff. I didn't buy the books but I got the 3.5 3 core book set as a gift awhile back.

Thanks for the 3.5 info; though. :blink:

Yup :D , 3.5 rules they are, and classes leveled up too are (as Yoda would say :shifty: )

See Brb, Rgr, Brd classes, they were all upgraded, and now more playable. :wub:

IB1OsQq.png

Why'd Obsidian decide on that course for familiars?

They are trying to bring the ruleset closer to the PnP version of not literally then at least the spirit of the rules. The whole bioware familar mess is not only against the rules but also the spirit as well.

I for one am glad they are trying to bring the gameplay, rules back to its roots.

My 2 coppers :-

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Why'd Obsidian decide on that course for familiars?

They are trying to bring the ruleset closer to the PnP version of not literally then at least the spirit of the rules. The whole bioware familar mess is not only against the rules but also the spirit as well.

I for one am glad they are trying to bring the gameplay, rules back to its roots.

My 2 coppers :wub:

Ah. See I don't really know much about the variations in rulesets so I have no clue which version (NWN1 or NWN2) is closer to the pnp version.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

"They are trying to bring the ruleset closer to the PnP version of not literally then at least the spirit of the rules. The whole bioware familar mess is not only against the rules but also the spirit as well."

No. Familairs are very much capable of combat. Why do you think they have a base attack bonus?

From what we've ehard, NWN1 familiars are much closer to 3.0 pnp rules than NWN2 familiars are to 3.5 pnp rules. Not to mention, they cna deliver touch attacks. If they were so weak in melee do you think they'd be able to do that? LOL

At least what we've heard thus far.

R00fles!

P.S. If this were true, you also be allowed to choose your alignment when you create your character not be forced to be a fausx pas TN (notwithstanding class restricted alignments).

P.S. Before someone accuses me of bashing NWN2, they should see my first post of this thread to nullify that nonsense. :wub:"

Edited by Volourn

Were the familiars in NWN 1 overpowered?  Yep.  Should familars be able to attack?  Yep.  If they just followed the rules of the game of familiars from the beginning we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Yeah, familiars were ungodly in NWN1... my pixie fought and doubled as a thief.

Really? Sounds amusing. Did it kill any of the end bosses?

Nope, but then I never made it past chapter 2 :)

The OC for NWN was dullsssssssssville :)

And I haven't gotten around to the expansions yet.

"I'm sorry familiars are gimped in NWN2, but as a Warlock I won't need one..."

I'm about to make an oath to kill all warlocks I see in MP in the faint hope a little piece of you dies with them.

R00fles! :D

I do hope they have a very dynamic AI in the game. I have installed the Smarter AI scripts done by Tony K from the NWVault and let me tell you something, it makes a major difference in the game's playability. I just went through one of the toughest battles I have ever had in NWN. It was a major spell battle between my halfling wizard and the lich under Luskan. Our minions each met in the middle and we were casting spells left and right. He casts cloudkill, I launch multiple fireballs, he casts chain lightning, I cast issac's Greater Missile Swarm and maximized fireballs.

Poor Tomi was stuck in the middle. Good thing he had improved evasion. :)

That is something I like to see in NWN 2 but with a controllable party. It almost felt like I was playing a BG2 spell battle.

Darque try this: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Hakpaks.Detail&id=4510

It makes the battles far more interesting and tougher. Also it allows more control over the henchmen.

Edited by Judge Hades

"Well, with it the baddies actually goes on patrol in the area, opens doors, goes where there are sounds being heard, that sort of thing. Stuff that didn't happen in the baseline NWN."

Thats' true. :)

Very awesome stuff; but that's a good amount of work on mr. K's part. Dopn't expect the AI in base NWN2 to be THAT advanced from the start.

LOL Alanshu for the vcitory! :)

Edited by Volourn