Well my intrest in NWN2 just tripled =)

Darque

Familiars are useless. Their only function seems to consist of dying horribly when their owner is hit by an area spell.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

"That is what evasion is for. They get it for free you know."

In fact, they have improved invasion. I wish people knew what they were discussing before discussing it. Though, in NWN, most familiars don't have (improved) invasion yet people have the gall to claim that they're soooo overpowered comapred to their pnp counterparts.

Heck, a familiar can survive a red dragon breathing on them.

R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

To the original topic - I'm not so sure about the Warlock being implimented as a *good* thing. It makes me sceptical. Then again, I've never been fond of warlocks *or* psionics.

A question though... will it be possible to impliment your own classes into NWN2 via the toolset? I know that it could cause a lot of imbalance, but it would still be a useful tool. Or is everything hardcoded?

HK47: Commentary: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested that you run while my blasters warm, meatbags.

Bastila to Revan: You are easily the vainest, most arrogant man I have ever met!

Canderous to Bastila: Insults? Maybe if your master had trained your lightsaber to be as quick as your tongue you could have escaped those Vulkars, you spoiled little Jedi princess!

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they're a bad thing (w00t)

I don't like Barbarians, Paladins, Monks, Clerics or Rangers... but I don't see them being added as a bad thing. :-"

Edited by Darque

A red dragon is not weak. It would seem that the game is flawed ithen if a familiar can survive.

Well he didn't say what age group the dragon belonged to... :)" But let's take a look shall we?

Max damage for a red dragon would be at great wyrm stage. A Great Wyrm Red Dragon has a 24d10 breath weapon. Maximum damage with that breath weapon is 240, however it allows a reflex save for half damage. Since Familiars have Improved Evasion they only take half damage even if they fail their save for a maximum total damage from the breath weapon of 120 points.

Now if we also take maximum HP for the mage at level 20 (to give the familiar the best possible chance to survive the hit) we have 80HP for the master and half that, or 40HP, for the familiar.

Discounting any con bonuses that the wizard has the familiar has a 1 in 3 chance of surviving the hit from the dragon (120 damage/40HP=3) providing that it fails the saving throw to negate all damage. Of course any con bonuses from the wizard will only increase the chance that the familiar survives.

+1 Con bonus: 120 damage/50HP = 41.67%

+2 Con bonus: 120 damage/60HP = 50.00%

+3 Con bonus: 120 damage/70HP = 58.82%

+4 Con bonus: 120 damage/80HP = 66.67%

and so on and so forth...

I really don't want to go into it's overall chance by factoring in the chance that the familiar will make the reflex save, because I've just spent the last 5 hours working on a math data management project dealing with statistics and frankly I'm sick of them now. <_<

Errr...is your math sound?

Why would you take max damage and divide it by the total HP?

I mean, if Max damage = min damage = 120, then the only chance it has for survival if its HP is less than or equal to 120 is if the evasion roll succeeds.

You'd need to do a whole schlock of work, determining the probabilities of each damage time and all that for yours to work. I mean, a guy with 1 HP and a Reflex save of +23432 is probably going to survive more often than not.

Though you did comment that you didn't want to calculate the reflex save.

Even then, if it takes 120 damage and has no reflex save...then how does it surivive 1/3 of the time if it has 40 HP?

Edited by alanschu