Well my intrest in NWN2 just tripled =)

Darque

I always play spellcasters of some kind, I like to blow things up :D

Though I have been tempted to try out a shifter (which would be a shapeshifting melee class)

If we ever play online together you can be my spellcaster and I'll be your tank. >_<

I'm having FF8 flashbacks for some reason :ph34r:

"The Devastating Critical or whatever which is "save or die" was too damned funny, especially with my greater cleave."

That's an overpwoered feat. Funnily sad part is that supposedly its verbatim how it is in pnp. LOL :huh:

I wouldn't know since I haven't seen the epic pnp rules; bt still that's one feat that shouldn't have been added. Overwhelming Critical is also powerful but still balanced consideirng its epicness. But, Devastating Critical is way too much.

On a critical hit the enemy rolls a fort save against DC10+1/2 character level+strength modifier. I had a DM once who used something similar for regular critical hits. Enemy had to make a fort save at DC10 + Damage Dealt or something.

I had a longsword weilding fighter with improved critical that killed 4 dragons (Two reds, a green and a white) single handedly at 8th level. 3 of them were in one encounter. The rest of the party got in a couple shots but most of them missed and did less than 20 damage to just one of the dragons. I think I quit after that adventure. <_<

I think the dice must have been loaded.

"The Devastating Critical or whatever which is "save or die" was too damned funny, especially with my greater cleave."

That's an overpwoered feat. Funnily sad part is that supposedly its verbatim how it is in pnp. LOL :lol:

I wouldn't know since I haven't seen the epic pnp rules; bt still that's one feat that shouldn't have been added. Overwhelming Critical is also powerful but still balanced consideirng its epicness. But, Devastating Critical is way too much.

On a critical hit the enemy rolls a fort save against DC10+1/2 character level+strength modifier. I had a DM once who used something similar for regular critical hits. Enemy had to make a fort save at DC10 + Damage Dealt or something.

I had a longsword weilding fighter with improved critical that killed 4 dragons (Two reds, a green and a white) single handedly at 8th level. 3 of them were in one encounter. The rest of the party got in a couple shots but most of them missed and did less than 20 damage to just one of the dragons. I think I quit after that adventure. <_<

I think the dice must have been loaded.

Epic feats are half-god like, nearly as powerful as real god feats :thumbsup:

IB1OsQq.png

Were the familiars in NWN 1 overpowered?  Yep.  Should familars be able to attack?  Yep.  If they just followed the rules of the game of familiars from the beginning we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Yeah, familiars were ungodly in NWN1... my pixie fought and doubled as a thief.

Really? Sounds amusing. Did it kill any of the end bosses?

That's funny. I can get a normal famliar in pnp to have hp at 100 at level 20, have a great ac, have a decent ac, and do generally well in combat. People greatly underestimate a familiar's usefulness in a fight. Are they a full out front line attack force in pnp? They really aren't in NWN either. Just because they can slaughter 1HD goblins doens't make them tanks. People should actually see a pnp familiar in action before they consider them useless in combat.

Yes, NWN1's familars ar eslightly more powerful than their pnp counterparts; but not to the degree that some like to make believe. It sure beats the utter useless famliars we'll be getting in NWN2 which accoridng to Obsidian can't fight at all.

Stop lying, a 100 hp familiar at level 20? What are you smoking? A familiar HD is half the master. If the Wizard has a very hearty Constitution at 18 and rolls a 4 on a 1d4 for every level, then maximum a familiar can have is 80 hp

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

"Stop lying, a 100 hp familiar at level 20? What are you smoking? A familiar HD is half the master."

*sigh* It's easy to call me a liar. It's MUCH harder to back it up with facts. Notwithstanding possible changes in 3.5, a familiar's HD is the SAME as its master. It's HIT POINTS are half of its master.

Heck, one can powergame, and have a sorceror 2/barb 18 with con 20. Give the character 3hps of each sorc level, and 9 of each barb level the familiar would have 139hp (hopefully I got my math right but the premise stands) along with a +19bab.

Now, that I have THROUGHLY E M B A R R A S E D you with my Bigger Geek Body Part tm; just surrender before you embarass yourself further. At least make me have to TRY to accomplish that feat.

The biggest weakness a pnp familiar has comaprd to its NWN counterpart is its damage capaility physically low. Heck, cast enlarge and BOOM its damage will be just fine.

"Hardly animals that would help in combat if you are a level 20 Wizard fighting a Balor."

They'd be able to help just fine if proeprly buffed ... just like NWN familiar. Afterall, not to many NWN familiars are gonna be able to go toe to toe with a balor either. :rolleyes:

"My Druid

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"So you use standard rules?"

Those aren't standard rules. Standard rules are half the hit points of the Master.

"In my games I ruled that only the class in which the familiar is gained counts for the familiar's ability. Such as your barbarian sorcerer would only have a familiar of 2 nd level in terms of abilities and hit points."

Fair enough. However, that doesn't help the disucssion. :lol:

Afterall, if optional rules mattered, I could ahve simply pointed out dragons are used as familiars in my pnp game and they get full Ancient Dragon abilities. LOL

That would be wrong; though. :rolleyes:

Edited by Volourn

The best thing I've heard so far about Neverwinter Nights 2 is the world map. That's a huge step forward over the first Neverwinter Nights. Also, Obsidian can't possible write a lamer main story than the timetravelling lizard one found in the original, so whatever they do they won't be able to screw it up too badly! I have faith in these guys to produce something interesting.

You have got to be ****ing ****ting me! I've spent a year trying to hold any kind of interest in this hack and slash crap and thats what I'm working towards?? ****ing hell!

That's enough of that game I think...maybe I'll try this Fallout thing you people keep talking about, see if thats any good.

master of my domain

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

"So you use standard rules?"

Those aren't standard rules.  Standard rules are half the hit points of the Master.

"In my games I ruled that only the class in which the familiar is gained counts for the familiar's ability. Such as your barbarian sorcerer would only have a familiar of 2 nd level in terms of abilities and hit points."

Fair enough. However, that doesn't help the disucssion. :o

Afterall, if optional rules mattered, I could ahve simply pointed out dragons are used as familiars in my pnp game and they get full Ancient Dragon abilities. LOL

That would be wrong; though. :)

LOL :blink:

Dragon familiars? :ermm:

Not the fairy-one? :p

Are the chars by ya all half-gods or fiends? :(

That could be fun :p

IB1OsQq.png

The best thing I've heard so far about Neverwinter Nights 2 is the world map. That's a huge step forward over the first Neverwinter Nights. Also, Obsidian can't possible write a lamer main story than the timetravelling lizard one found in the original, so whatever they do they won't be able to screw it up too badly! I have faith in these guys to produce something interesting.

You have got to be ****ing ****ting me! I've spent a year trying to hold any kind of interest in this hack and slash crap and thats what I'm working towards?? ****ing hell!

That's enough of that game I think...maybe I'll try this Fallout thing you people keep talking about, see if thats any good.

Do that, but with the very newest patch :)

IB1OsQq.png

"Stop lying, a 100 hp familiar at level 20? What are you smoking? A familiar HD is half the master."

*sigh* It's easy to call me a liar. It's MUCH harder to back it up with facts. Notwithstanding possible changes in 3.5, a familiar's  HD is the SAME as its master. It's HIT POINTS are half of its master.

Heck, one can powergame, and have a sorceror 2/barb 18 with con 20. Give the character 3hps of each sorc level, and 9 of each barb level the familiar would have 139hp  (hopefully I got my math right but the premise stands) along with a +19bab.

Now, that I have THROUGHLY E M B A R R A S E D you with my Bigger Geek Body Part tm; just surrender before you embarass yourself further.  At least make me have to TRY to accomplish that feat.

As Hades pointed out only your sorcerer levels apply, so your bigger geek body parts has some flaws. And yes I meant hp

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

It's funny how sure of himself Volo seems to be. It's like he thinks arguing about D&D rules is the only thing he's good at. :D

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

"As Hades pointed out only your sorcerer levels apply, so your bigger geek body parts has some flaws. And yes I meant hp

Edited by Volourn

We're discussing D&D 3.0 as Ellester has saw fit not to even say what version he is talking about. Afterall, we're comapring a bunch of things - NWN1 to NWN2 to 3.0 to (possibly) 3.5

LMAO