Books!

Gabrielle

I can just about only bring myself to read books by Terry Pratchett and Robert Rankin. They amuse me.

I was reading the Harry Potter books. Read the one before the latest one... not the Half Blood Prince, the.. what was it, Order of the Phoenix?

Hated it. So much angst I wanted to punch Harry.

In any case, haven't read the Half Blood Prince yet, although I have been spoiled to all buggery about the contents thereof. I'm told there's less angst however, so I may read it.

I read a book about every 1 to 3 years. Harry Potter. :blink:

American?

Just asking...

I'm American and I average about 15 books a month. *shrug*

Charles de Lint

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Instead of sabotaging the movie thread lets talk books here. What are you reading now, what do you like to read,etc.

Books that have hero vampires are works written by Anne Rice, before she fell from grace, and others who are not as well known like her. Books by Hamilton and Nancy Kilpatrik have vampire "heros".

Whitley Strieber has a trilogy of Vampire novels. The most popular one, The Hunger, was made into a movie and subsequently a television series.

Also Gary Raisor

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Glass Soup

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm currently reading London: 1849, a Victorian Murder Story. The book is really fascinating, because it centers on what everyday life was like in the city in those times. After reading only a few pages, one really appreciates the modern conveniences we have.

"In Wildness is the Preservation of the World" Photographs by Eliot Porter based on passages from Henry David Thoreau

Some old book my mother gave me recently. Just getting around to reading it. Kind of interesting, Porter does a good job of capturing the words into a photograph.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I read a book about every 1 to 3 years. Harry Potter. :thumbsup:

American?

Just asking...

know what? we did some teaching in europe... got to see how smarty were the english and irish and spanish university students were.

let's just say that the belief that american is all fat and stoopid compared to their european counterparts is more myth than reality.

our euro friends expected Gromnir to be dumb and uncultured. when the reality did not mesh with their preconceptions, they simply discounted us as aberrational... Gromnir were one of those inconsequential plot points that were not fitting within the bounds of their imaginary bell-curve. change one's opinion of americans after actually interacting with one for a few weeks or months? nope.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm currrently reading "Fundamentals of Thermodynamics" by  Richard E. Sontagg, Claus Borngakke and Gordon J. Van wylen.

You may want to read a book on information theory too. :wub:

The mathematics of thermodynamics and information theory overlap. (w00t)

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

Erotic Poems. It's a collection of erotic poems from various people from the past and the present.

There an internet version available? :wub:

I'm reading Dean Koontz's Fear Nothing.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Also reading "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" I am curious to see how this compares to the movie Bladrunner that the movie is based off.

I read that. Philip K D!ck's style is definitely not what I expected. I like it more than I would've liked the style I DID expect, though. If that makes any sense.

EDIT: It pains me to have to misspell someone's last name. Sorry about bypassing the swear filter, but I felt that in the context it might be considered acceptable...

Edited by Chairchucker

Sphere by Michael Chrighton is teh good bookness. i read it a while ago and didn't know if it was very popular or not, but it turned out to be really sveet, if a little old.

So if you are looking for a sci-fi lite thing or whatever, i recommend Sphere.

Also, Halo: the Fall of Reach is a good book. okay, now, it sounds dumb since it is based on a video game, but the author did a really good job i thought. It's good stuff.

but enough recommendations from me, nobody needs them anyway...

prometheaross.jpg

Alam Moore's Promethea

(comic books are also books)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I can't read.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Speaker for the Dead. I'm hoping it'll be as good as the first book.

And for the guy who reads an average of 15 books a month... WTF? :)

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Speaker for the Dead. I'm hoping it'll be as good as the first book.

And for the guy who reads an average of 15 books a month... WTF? :)

save yourself an afternoon, and throw speaker away now. honest. only the most hardcore osc fans like(d) speaker.

HA! Good Fun!