Star Wars Galaxies

I was just woundering has any one here played/playing Star Wars Galaxies, and if so what do you think of it, im intersted in picking it up my self but want to here others feedback about the game first. >_<

Well.

I've never played it myself, but for some reason or another I was browsing the official SWG forums the other day. Apparently the playerbase is up in arms over recent changes, to the point where the president of Sony Online Entertainment actually had to write an open letter to the community explaining why they did what they did and asking for patience.

I also know that there hundreds of Jedi per server, which would've been cool had it been set before Episode I, but instead it's set during the events of the original trilogy, when there were supposed to be, like, what, four or five Jedi left alive? So for a stickler like me, that's a turn-off.

On the other hand, I finished KotOR II a couple of days ago, leave's not quite up, and I'm in a new, sudden, desperate need for a Star Wars fix, so if anybody gives it a good review, I'll probably try it out, despite my aversion to MMORPGs in general.

SWG is dying. the devs have cross the line one to many times with the playerbase. i've been playing since june 03 i seen everything threw at us it gotten to the point the servers are virtually empty. i would recommend waiting and see if they fix the game right right now it not playable or enjoyable. i think out of all my friends and guildmates there only a handful left

SWG is dying. the devs have cross the line one to many times with the playerbase. i've been playing since june 03 i seen everything threw at us it gotten to the point the servers are virtually empty. i would recommend waiting and see if they fix the game right right now it not playable or enjoyable. i think out of all my friends and guildmates there only a handful left

What are some of these changes?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

What do you want?  A Han job.  :o

:lol::)

Oh and your welcome for the article. Actually since this PC appears to run stuff pretty well I might sign up for the free trial if I can find some spare time next week.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

:lol::)

Oh and your welcome for the article. Actually since this PC appears to run stuff pretty well I might sign up for the free trial if I can find some spare time next week.

I quit just before they made the latest big changes and everything they had done before the last big change was to make it LESS solo friendly.

SWG should be a great grouping game but with interface and how it works its not.

So once solo play was removed, I left.

Its sad really, SWG still has the most potential of ANY MMORPG (including WoW) on the market but Sony has failed to realize that potential from day one.

Its just a really bad product run by folks that are even worse!

Really dont expect that to change to be honest, SOE has no clue what their doing, the few players they do listen to are only out for themselves and NEVER suggest stuff good for over all game, and its based on a updated version of the old UO engine which had limitations at the best of times.

Im still hoping LA will realize this and contract someone like Obsidian or Bioware to make a NEW Star Wars MMORPG based on the KotoOR time era and style.

:lol::thumbsup:

I quit just before they made the latest big changes and everything they had done before the last big change was to make it LESS solo friendly.

SWG should be a great grouping game but with interface and how it works its not.

Its sad really, SWG still has the most potential of ANY MMORPG (including WoW) on the market but Sony has failed to realize that potential from day one.

Really dont expect that to change to be honest, SOE has no clue what their doing, the few players they do listen to are only out for themselves and NEVER suggest stuff good for over all game, and its based on a updated version of the old UO engine which had limitations at the best of times.

Im still hoping LA will realize this and contract someone like Obsidian or Bioware to make a NEW Star Wars MMORPG based on the KotoOR time era and style.

As I understand it LA are responsible for the changes not SOE. Although it was just something I read (about them only providing on the tech side of things) so could well be wrong.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Both LA and SOE are known for making some bad decisions...

I played it for about a month. I enjoyed many aspects of it, but the worlds were just too generic for me. It's nice that there are player run cities, but there is so much endless generic territory. Even the cities are pretty underwhelming.

I knew a few people that really got into it, but recently they are up in arms. I hate sounding like a WoW fanboy, but if you really want a MMORPG go for WoW or EQ2, they are just more solid and better supported.

If you are looking for a futuristic game, I keep hearing little tidbits about Neocron and Eve Online. I don't know anything about them though.

:lol::blink:

I doubt it's likely that Sony Online Entertainment is going to release its deathgrip on a product that still could have profit squeezed out of it. I also doubt Obsidian or even Bioware has the amount of staff necessary to start up an MMORPG. My woman played a little WoW back in the day, so I followed it to a limited degree, just to help her out - she's not much of a gamer - and from what I understand, Blizzard was completely overwhelmed by the job of keeping things together for the first couple of months.

I don't necessarily know that Star Wars does in fact lend itself to the MMORPG genre. I mean, almost everyone wants to be a Jedi, right? And despite the prequel trilogy coming out, people still think of the Rebellion - Empire conflict as the definitive Star Wars setting, and that doesn't lend itself well to a bunch of Jedi running around, as seems to be the case with SWG. Hasn't turned most people off, true, but it's the primary reason I don't play.

Well I suppose I'm good authority here to give my verdict on the game having power played through it at launch and finishing every aspect of it (sounds impressive but trust me it isn't given the lack of anything to do in the game).

So to answer your question: it's crap.

I don't really care to elaborate, I could write a book on the subject tbh.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

The trial sucks. You create a character and go through the mini-tutorial then to a small space station. You can only go from it to another station (There is the option to fly...but I found the controls to be exceptionally clunky...in all aspects of the game, come to think of it.) and cannot go planet side without first purchasing a monthly subscription...

Hell, even Guild Wars let you go to different areas, and progress through the game during your trial...though you started mid-way through, you could still go quite a ways in the story, provided you'd the time necessary to do so.

Still...I found the idea of a Star Wars MMO to be entertaining, it's just that the execution was really lackluster.

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

:lol:>_<

As I understand it LA are responsible for the changes not SOE. Although it was just something I read (about them only providing on the tech side of things) so could well be wrong.

As I said Shadow, I wasnt there for latest round of changes so those very well could be LA driven, but the changes that removed soloability prior to to my leaving were thought up and implimented by SOE and their limited focus groups of VETRAN ONLY players. That much im 1000% sure of.

It was terrible changes that drastically changed the economy so ONLY long term players with already existing enormous bank rolls could move forward. Its one of the aspects that was changed yet again in this latest change from what I read so only lasted 5 months before LA forced them to change. But was enough to let me know SWG was doomed to failure no matter what.

Really all one needs to do is sit down and read the SOE Forums for SWG to see how utterly downwards SOE and their hand picked player support are void of good ideas and concepts. It amazed me that after so many years in MMORPG, SOE still not able to seperate and find those players that look at all the angles and those players that make suggestions to benefit themselves only.

Far as SOE concerned, you CANT teach and old monkey new tricks.

PS: Eve online is unlike anything you have ever seen before.

I tried it and it didnt take at all, but I do have a number of friends that love the game. Its really one of those games you have to try and see for yourself. Nothing you read or hear will accurately prepare you for the game.

Edited by Kalfear

SWG is the most entertaining game I've never played.

Had lots of fun in the SWG thread at SA- man, that game is a trainwreck. Don't play it unless you're into pain. Basically, it's to MMORPGs what ToEE is to RPGs. That is, if you multiply ToEE's bugginess and unplayability by a hundred times or so.

Edited by Lord Tingeling

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Even though SWG is in... for lack of better words, a period of darkness (I like to say the period before the first Combat Upgrade as its time of prosperity), I'd still recommend it to others. I'm doing better in the NGE than I did in the CU

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

The changes include: removal of several professions and deletion of characters in those professions. First person aspect added. Profession trees added to the game (it used to be free form, be a mining commando who made spaceships if you had the right # of skills) and jedi are chooseable from the beginning. Oh and jedi suck at combat.

I know this and I don't even play the game. :ermm :blink:

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The changes include: removal of several professions and deletion of characters in those professions. First person aspect added. Profession trees added to the game (it used to be free form, be a mining commando who made spaceships if you had the right # of skills) and jedi are chooseable from the beginning. Oh and jedi suck at combat.

I know this and I don't even play the game. :ermm :huh:

LOL Jedis always sucked at combat until they became Jedi Knights.

Was stupid, you work your arse off to get Padawen and then 10 Bounty hunters exploit the game and kill you back to level 0 padawen every time you go outside!

It was only when IF you managed to reach Knight status you could actually defend yourself.