Jade Empire Bombed

Volourn

As for the "old" games with poorer graphics that we still like, how much of that is because we've already played them?  I tried going back and playing some of the original NES games that I missed out on, but I just couldn't get past the bad graphics.  But I'm totally into playing 8 hour marathons of Mega Man 2.  I think nostalgia affects a lot of our preferences.  I don't know many people that have been able to pick up Fallout, today, having never played it, that has played it long enough to see the game that it is.

They usually get hung up on the interface and the graphics.  Furthermore, reading is becoming passe.  We're getting spoiled with spoken lines of dialogue, and when you see Morte's miniature essay for a response after every dialogue option, it can be a bit burdensome.

As yo your first point, it is impossible to say with hindsight. But let's analyze each component, logically.

I have recently played System Shock 2 for the first time, and the graphics are incredibly dated, yet I enjoyed the game for it's story. Additionally, there is no way I will go back and play a crappy game that had revolutionary graphics for 1993. So graphics are not an impediment to a great game reagardless of age, and they do not impel future players to revisit an ordinary game with advanced graphics for the time.

Secondly, I disagree that reading is becoming pass

I couldn't get my abandonware copy of System Shock 2 to work.

The DivX Intro played sometimes, and sometimes it didn't, and when I tried to start a game, there was never any sound, which I hear is one of the yummiest parts of said game. :p

I installed the codecs and everything just like they said too. :)

It's possible, if you have some really large stores that sell computer games, to find some of the old Classics series of System Shock 2.

If I can still find them (albeit I have to look) in Canada, surely you could find one in Northern California.

I assumed you needed your uber-character from the OC to take into the expansions though.

Nope. You start off at 1st level for the first expansion and the second expansion takes place with the same character from the first expansion. They are still better than the first OC, but still have serious flaws in their design.

If you are not a fan of the main game then there are better things you can spend your money on. Like KotOR 2.

Have you ever been to NorCal?

I am not even sure if stores such as you describe exist in the US.

Closest thing I have to that is the Used section at EB.

try looking in fry's, It's a ways but they are the only people with a large enough inventory to come close

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Lets face it - making a game Xbox only is a good way to bugger up your sales. Halo and Halo2 are the only ones which have truly excelled as Xbox only releases. Big franchises can survive and flourish on single platforms, new ones can't. I wanted to see Unreal Championship 2 but they made that Xbox only and it's sales were unimpressive. maybe they will start taking the hint!

I wonder if Bioware will now port Jade Empire to PC, after that humiliating defeat....

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

I'm not sure I'd want it on PC after playing through the Xbox-version. It's not exactly a classic.. Of course, at least the shoot'em up portion of the game might run better on a powerful PC and you wouldn't have to see the game hit single digit fps during critical moments.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

They certainly were hinted for it even before release ...

IIRC, they would only do it, if it was successful on the Xbox. Now was it successful or not?....:lol:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Lets face it - making a game Xbox only is a good way to bugger up your sales. Halo and Halo2 are the only ones which have truly excelled as Xbox only releases. Big franchises can survive and flourish on single platforms, new ones can't. I wanted to see Unreal Championship 2 but they made that Xbox only and it's sales were unimpressive. maybe they will start taking the hint!

Actually the PC is the worst platform for publishers to make their money back.

As for the "old" games with poorer graphics that we still like, how much of that is because we've already played them?  I tried going back and playing some of the original NES games that I missed out on, but I just couldn't get past the bad graphics.  But I'm totally into playing 8 hour marathons of Mega Man 2.  I think nostalgia affects a lot of our preferences.  I don't know many people that have been able to pick up Fallout, today, having never played it, that has played it long enough to see the game that it is.

They usually get hung up on the interface and the graphics.  Furthermore, reading is becoming passe.  We're getting spoiled with spoken lines of dialogue, and when you see Morte's miniature essay for a response after every dialogue option, it can be a bit burdensome.

As yo your first point, it is impossible to say with hindsight. But let's analyze each component, logically.

I have recently played System Shock 2 for the first time, and the graphics are incredibly dated, yet I enjoyed the game for it's story. Additionally, there is no way I will go back and play a crappy game that had revolutionary graphics for 1993. So graphics are not an impediment to a great game reagardless of age, and they do not impel future players to revisit an ordinary game with advanced graphics for the time.

Secondly, I disagree that reading is becoming pass

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

If you were representative of the entire gaming industry, then we wouldn't have voice overs since no one would bother reading them.

If great games are trully loved by all and graphics didn't matter, then why do so many great games fail?

If you were representative of the entire gaming industry, then we wouldn't have voice overs since no one would bother reading them.

If great games are trully loved by all and graphics didn't matter, then why do so many great games fail?

No, we wouldn't have crap voice acting. :)

(Nothing wrong with good voice acting, I can turn off the subtitles, if the situation warants it. Just very few situations warrant it.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I wonder if Bioware will now port Jade Empire to PC, after that humiliating defeat....

Yeah - half a million sold which Bioware are happy with, and critically acclaimed by many to be one of best RPG's of recent times. Real humiilating, huh Nurbs. >_<

C'mon, you can do better that that - Number Man has faith in you.

manthing2.jpg

Well Jaguars I know this has been discussed before many times here, but let me repeat this to you:

:sorcerer:"500.000 copies are a lame outcome for a console title. Especially if you consider development costs":lol:

Bioware had to say that they're happy. It is part of public relations social game.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.