Another week gone by and no Patch in sight.

Given the length of time this patch has taken to get out to the public coupled with the Feb 14 announcement that it was "coming soon". I simply suspect that the QA department found, what is commonly refered to in the QA world as a "show stopper", was a very ugly crash or config bug that tanked the game. Hence they rejected the patch and wait for another submission by the Dev team. Or a number of the high priority bugs were not fixed as they thought they were ending up with the same thing, rejecting the patch and the Devs going back to work.

Hell who knows it could be that they are having a hard tiime fixing the swoop race "you have to finish the race" bug. Sometimes you just cant tell about these things.

Dont get me wrong I am all for the towns folk to marching up to the castle with pitch forks and flaming torches routine in this instance.

As a veteran of the software QA process I know how these things go but understanding doesn't mean as a consumer that I am going to be reasonable :lol:

Explenation: Obsidian used gave LA QA a patch without any upgrades (fixed no thing)

LA found horrifying bugs and "showstoppers", "game-stoppers", "CTD-crashes" and other bugs...

Therefore LA sended the patch back to Obsidian and said: "Here, have 3 months, this is the most buggiest patch ever, maybe 3 months can make it reasonable"

To be continued next month...

:p

Personally, if the patch taking longer means that more bugs will be fixed, and they will be fixed better, by all means take more time. The only complaint I have is that "soon" has been going on for weeks now. I'd like a less vague answer if possible, perhaps with a tentative timetable. If it's going to take another month, so be it, but tell us that. Don't just keep saying "soon" because that's misleading.

Live forever or die trying.

jengaaaaux2.gif

You all seem to assume that more time is good - more bugs fixed etc. But that is just _speculation_. _Fact_ is, that we know now exactly what we knew 4-5 weeks ago => nothing.

I'm just running out of patience, that's all. 2-3 weeks ago it was still easier to wait... :thumbsup:

The hopeful part of me says that they actually are doing a content patch, that this upcoming patch is a content patch after all, and that is why it is taking a while to finish.

The cynical part of me says Obsidian only has funding to do one patch, period, so they really want to make sure they fix as much they can, because they won't get another chance after this, and that is why the patch is taking a while to finish.

And then the two parts together say that neither of the above are true, that it is something different.

But what is likely is that only something utterly irrelevant such as the "readme" file will be patched.  :p

Don't you mean the Bulgarian translated readme file?

Why of course. :">

But if we're extra lucky, then maybe the scan hardware configuration utility might actually be stable - heck, that would be a first for a L.A. game! (w00t)

manthing2.jpg

I think most of us find it logical that the reason why it hasn't been released yet is that not all bugs have been solved yet.

What exactly is your point? ;)

LOL hive if ya had actually read my post you would have realized that is exactly what I was saying ;)

In my experience "only a show stopper" would hold up a patch and then only if it's likely a user would come across it. I have seen many games go out the door with terrible crashes in them but weren't fixed because players were very unlikely to run across them. A tester finds these things because we have the ability and get paid to do very odd stuff and purposely try to break the game. This is usually done by doing something immediately as something else is happening and the two events or functions cause a conflict in the code that causes abrrant behavior in the game. This is usually refered to a a "Race Condition". For example trying to zone in to another part of the game normally but trying to open some area like the Character sheet or inventory percisely as the character steps over the "zone line" A player is very unlikely to perform both tasks percisely at the same moments so something like this could be overlooked.

Anyways like I said originally bugs in the patch more than likely held it up.

I wouldn't be surprised if they'd never planned to release the patch a few days after putting that message up, they just put it up early to placate all the people on the forums complaining about bugs and reassure them that it's being dealt with :(

LOL hive if ya had actually read my post you would have realized that is exactly what  I was saying :p

Eh yes, I know... but *why* exactly did you feel a need to say it?

You were basically saying "the patch isn't out yet, because it's not done" - well gee, thanks for enlightening us... :("

The longer it takes, the better chances of it being tied together with a content patch is.

***Readme: Kotor 1.1 Patch***

Includes: New ends, Droid Factory

Activation: New ends: No way, they are in but won't be displayed

Activation: Droid Factory: Inside, but we where to lazy to make a way to it without cheating

Patch fixes:

HK conversation on Telos runs fine now, "and that were all the bugs LA QA could find"

***Note: Only patch available, no more comming, see you again at NWN2***

:(

It will be released it will be released, the more time it will take, the more will be fixed(hopefully?).

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The Big Cheese

That's what made me smile. :D

Good to hear...I'm about ready for a patch now, myself.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts