Obsidian

kirottu

Yeah White Wolf has released "Vampire the requiem" and a new version of "World of darkness".

Looks like an improvment from what I have seen, but still not one of the first games I would choose to play if I could ever get a PnP group together again...

Depends a bit on their capacity too. They almost had two teams working when Kotor2 was finishing and NWN2 started, but they might be down to one full team again (NWN2).

They might play it safe (as safe as anything in the VG industry) and go with that for a while yet, keeping themself entertained for the next year.

They probably do have more than one idea for something they would like to do, but they also have to get aquainted with the various publishers out there, while shopping for investors.

While there is no chance of them ever saying something outrageously bad about LA or Atari, they are bound to get some impressions of how these two companies would behave as potential publishers for a third game. They might just want to try a third one to see if the shoe fits better there (Activision ?). It was easier when they were BIS, for good and for bad they had exactly one possible publisher.

Odds are, they might follow the Bioware strategy and do the easily digestible stuff (action oriented, short game length, munchkinism, newest technological buzz words, some kind of sex appeal for the 14-17 year olds etc.) for the widest possible market. Few, if any developers can do the work they want to do, whatever that might be, but the work they can get. The better developers might have some influence on the what they get, but free hands ? Don't think so.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Although there are many games I would love to see Obsidian make, cold, logical reasoning leads me to believe the eventual outcome will end up being KOTOR3.  I think hoping for anything else will lead to dissapointment.  I think making their own IP would be a luxury for them that they can't afford at this point.  I think Atari has already stretched their development funds thin on current projects so I would be very surprised if Obsidian picked up another D&D project now, unless they got BG3.  In a couple years it may be another story

Not to say I told you so because God only knows where they got this info, but..

GameDreamZ link

I just hope the next game will be all-original, totally new and exciting. New world, new rules, the whole package. We've seen enough adaptions.

preferrably in a modern day setting

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Although there are many games I would love to see Obsidian make, cold, logical reasoning leads me to believe the eventual outcome will end up being KOTOR3.  I think hoping for anything else will lead to dissapointment.  I think making their own IP would be a luxury for them that they can't afford at this point.  I think Atari has already stretched their development funds thin on current projects so I would be very surprised if Obsidian picked up another D&D project now, unless they got BG3.  In a couple years it may be another story

Not to say I told you so because God only knows where they got this info, but..

GameDreamZ link

I dunno about three development teams at Obsidian. I mean, that just sounds expensive for the company at this stage of the game. Obsidian is off to a great start with KOTOR 2 in the eyes of the video gaming industry, but they are still a fledgedling company, ya know?

IMO, it makes sense that they started off with a KOTOR game. Instant name recognition and a worldwide following with the Star Wars license. To follow that game up with NWN 2 made even more sense to me. And I think after the success of NWN 2, Obsidian will the have the forthwithal to take on a third or fourth game that will be their own IP, while hiring another team to work on another licensed project.

It just makes good business sense. Do a couple no-misses that are safe with huge international fan bases to get your feet planted solidly on the ground, and then go off and do your own thing.

I think Obisidian's going to be around for a good long while.

I think they could manage 3 teams, and if they can consistantly land big projects, they should be able to cover those costs. Maybe just a couple people working full time on their own IP. A year ago on the RPG Codex forums, Feargus said something I found interesting ...

" ...I've been thinking a lot about game that we are going to make and maybe some small games that we'll make and publish ourselves..."

I think that is a cool idea. I would rather have a big game than a small game, but it would have a shorter development cycle, and it would surely be a unique Obsidian IP - so I hope they are still considering something like that. Maybe a smaller 3rd development team could work on something like that.

I'm thinking a video game version of the classic game hungry hungry hippos, it could be online and everything, you'd just need a huge budget to develope "realistic" marbles

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Update: That post about SW: KotOR III being well in developement = Smelly, smelly, foul, rumour. Please remember to conserve toilet tissue by only using one sheet at a time.

Also, from what I understand, Lucas Arts decided to take the project for themselves, then selved it after layoffs. *cracks a whip*

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

Well, I rather be playing a Obsidian original than a Bioware castoff.

Don't we all? Let your talent show, devs.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I think they could manage 3 teams, and if they can consistantly land big projects, they should be able to cover those costs.  Maybe just a couple people working full time on their own IP.  A year ago on the RPG Codex forums, Feargus said something I found interesting ...

" ...I've been thinking a lot about game that we are going to make and maybe some small games that we'll make and publish ourselves..."

I think that is a cool idea.  I would rather have a big game than a small game, but it would have a shorter development cycle, and it would surely be a unique Obsidian IP - so I hope they are still considering something like that.  Maybe a smaller 3rd development team could work on something like that.

Even though I'd love to play an Obsidian IP, there's truth in what you say. After all, we've all seen what happens when a newbie company overextend themselves with ambitious IP's....without first establishing themselves as an RPG powerhouse.

manthing2.jpg

Update: That post about SW: KotOR III being well in developement = Smelly, smelly, foul, rumour. Please remember to conserve toilet tissue by only using one sheet at a time.

Also, from what I understand, Lucas Arts decided to take the project for themselves, then selved it after layoffs. *cracks a whip*

That would explain the weird garbled messages about Kotor3. LA did plan to do it themselves, hence the rumours that it would be made, but the team got the kick while Obsidian was busy making Kotor2, hence, it's not currently planned and thats the most likely status now.

How many "teams" does Obsidian currently have, one ?

Just curious.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein