Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What a great year of gaming ahead of us

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Berserk

Berserk

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 512 posts

I played GTA:SA and I got frustated with several missions ... there is a flaw in that game that simply tried to include too many things. (its a dancing sim, a racing sim, a flight sim, a dating sim ...)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funny thing is that GTA:SA did those things better than most games just dedicated to one of those things you mentioned....

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The only ones of that list I'm interested in are F.E.A.R., FF vs The Third Reich, GTA and KOTOR2. The rest are either uninteresting or are not coming out next year.

@Oerwinde: Suikoden 1 is one of the worst games I've ever played. What do you see in it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Suikoden 1 is the worst Suikoden, mediocre game, but has a special place in my heart because it launched the Suikoden series, which gave us Suikoden 2, the best console RPG of all time.

Darque

Darque

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 12328 posts
I see 3 on that list I want.

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6551 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Suikoden 1 is the worst Suikoden, mediocre game, but has a special place in my heart because it launched the Suikoden series, which gave us Suikoden 2, the best console RPG of all time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fair enough. Maybe I'll give it a go. The best console RPG I've played is Tales of Phantasia.

Question: How did Suikoden even get a sequel?

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
Isn't the sequel to The Longest Journey (called Dreamfall) coming out this year too? If it is, that's also one game to look forward to.

Gothic 3 if it comes out this year (probably not).
Dungeon Lords will come out this year. Soon..

Drakron

Drakron

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2119 posts

Funny thing is that GTA:SA did those things better than most games just dedicated to one of those things you mentioned....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps but it does not make GTA:SA better, just having more diferent stuff to do.

Let me put this way, I played GTA:VC until I grow bored with it (never finished but actually had fun playing many missions and get around to near the end) as in GTA:SA I got frustated when I was thrown the DDR sequence with is insane high score requirement and then the even more insane racing sequence (that I won because the first car got into a frontal collision with incomming traffic causing a chain crash that given me enough of a lead to win and I am talking about the stupid cross country one with that stupid racing car) and finaly given up when I got to change a limo that is able outrun my car (who I am forced to use during that mission) not to say about the "throw boxes to a moving car" (I beat it ONLY after I got a machine gun since it give me a aiming circle that made things a lot easier).

I got GTA:SA because of GTA:VC but I will not get the next GTA because of GTA:SA ...

Ivan the Terrible

Ivan the Terrible

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1444 posts

I think hades is in some serious need of female loving. So much hate :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I think he just needs a new hobby.

What's the point of being a gamer if the type of game you like is released maybe once every 10 years?

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fair enough. Maybe I'll give it a go. The best console RPG I've played is Tales of Phantasia.

Question: How did Suikoden even get a sequel?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tales of Phantasia was pretty darn good too. Only got like halfway through it though. Too bad it was never released here.

Green Lantern

Green Lantern

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 60 posts
[/quote]
We have been saying this argument for the last 5 years, and I still haven’t seen a drop in PC games being produced. All we are seeing nowadays is duel console/PC releases like kotor and morrowind.
[/quote]

I've noticed it. I was just in my local Software Etc. and the PC games have been relegated to the back corner of the store on two tiny shelves, while the front is packed solid with shelves upon shelves of console games.

Guest_Surlent_*

Guest_Surlent_*
  • Guests

Duke Nukem Forever

F.E.A.R. 

Quake 4

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Duke Nuke Forever on that list is teh funny.
I don't think all these games might manage to make it 2005. :thumbsup:"

ST Laker has been more and more delayed.
Hard to say how long Quack4 has been in development, I'd figure they'd shown it in last year's E3 if it's going to be released next year ?

But overall lots of famous well known titles coming out, just like last year.

Aponez

Aponez

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 419 posts

I see 3 on that list I want.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you sure? there isn't any RE in the list :thumbsup:

Ellester

Ellester

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1273 posts

I've noticed it.  I was just in my local Software Etc. and the PC games have been relegated to the back corner of the store on two tiny shelves, while the front is packed solid with shelves upon shelves of console games.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It’s been like that for a few years. It just means consoles are more popular, it doesn’t mean there is a drop in developers who produce PC games. We got Bio, Obsidian, Trokia, Blizzard, Bethdseda and Gas Powered Games (don’t laugh), all these new European companies have been putting out PC games. Whoever bought out Westwood is now developing a new Red Alert game, after just releasing Generals and it’s expansion. Lucas Arts is pushing PC games out the wazoo. Heck we got Half-Life back, Doom back and now we are getting Quake back, Civ III is coming out this year, all super huge PC games. PC gaming has Scrapland and Bloodlines out right now. Unreal 3 is also in the works. I don’t see a drop off in PC titles; if anything it’s getting bigger every year. Although so is consoles.

We lost Sir-Tech, and Westwood was bought out, but they are still alive. These were two PC gaming companies. And Interplay is now gone, but one could say their demise was attributed to their focusing on consoles and alienating their fan base. But for these casualties we now have new companies to take their place that produce PC games like Obsidian and Troika (from Interplay) and Typhoon (from Sir Tech).

Sorry, I just haven’t seen a decrease in PC titles being produced. Heck look at that post that is talking about new crpg releases in 2005. They reviewed 31 PC crpg’s that could get released in 2005. Seems like a hell of a lot more that was being released 10 years ago.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5371 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Civ III is coming out this year

I think you mean Civ IV? :thumbsup:

Ellester

Ellester

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1273 posts

Civ III is coming out this year

I think you mean Civ IV? :geek:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually I first had it at Civ II, and then changed it to Civ III, LOL! I should have bumped it up one more notch. I have never played the civ games; obviously, I just understand their popularity.

Ellester

Ellester

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1273 posts

Duke Nukem Forever

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Duke Nuke Forever on that list is teh funny.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also when I was last at ebGames the guy behind the counter was talking about Duke Nukem was going to be released this year. The guy he was talking to, laughed as said “it was vaporware”. Then the guy behind the counters said, “no there is even a release date for it, I’ve seen it, here let me pull it up on my computer”. When he did he said “strange there now is no release date”.

LOL!

Azazis

Azazis

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
[quote name='Hades_One' date='Jan 16 2005, 06:30 PM']
[quote]]Age of Empires 3 [/quote]
Don't care.

[quote] Battlefield 2[/quote]

Not a CRPG.

[quote]Brothers in Arms[/quote]

Never heard of it.

[quote]Call of Cthulhu[/quote]

First person view sucks.

[quote]Doom 3 Expansion[/quote]

Worthless FPS.

[quote]Duke Nukem Forever[/quote]

Was relevant 10 years ago.

[quote] Elder Scrolls 4[/quote]

Worthless eye candy and no substance, like TES3.

[quote]Empire Earth 2[/quote]

Not a CRPG.

[quote]F.E.A.R.[/quote]

Never heard of that one either.

[quote]FF vs The Third Reich[/quote]

Superheroes suck.

[quote]Guild Wars[/quote]

Diablo MMORPG wannabe.

[quote]GTA: San Andreas[/quote]

Worthless action fest.

[quote] KotOR 2[/quote]

No challenge equals no fun.

[quote]Project Snowblind[/quote]

Never heard of this one either.

[quote]Quake 4[/quote]

Read Doom 3 expansion.

[quote]S.T.A.L.K.E.R.[/quote]

Dues Ex wannabe.

[quote]SWAT 4[/quote]

Never heard of the first 3.

[quote]TeamFortress2[/quote]

An irrelevant shooter.

[quote]The Movies[/quote]

Can we say lame.

[quote]The Matrix Online[/quote]

Neo is dead. Deal with it.

[quote]Republic Commando[/quote]

Another lame Star Wars game.

[quote]Any more?[/quote]

I hope not. We need good games to be released.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quote]

I think its the Gargoyle personally

Ellester

Ellester

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1273 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL! I like the Wolf in Sheep's Clothing one. I might have to start practicing that one. :)

Judge Hades

Judge Hades

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13912 posts
HA! That's is pretty funny.

jaguars4ever

jaguars4ever

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7093 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL! I like the Wolf in Sheep's Clothing one. I might have to start practicing that one. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't be so hard on yourself - it's not your fault you're a dumbass Buckeyed bandit. :)

You see Elester - T'was perfect execution of the Wolf. :)"

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
Seriously, Duke Nukem Forever :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users