What You've Done Today - Yesterday is but today's memory, and tomorrow is today's dream.

I didn't mention it earlier because nobody wants to hear a "MY PET IS ALSO DYING" story right after someone else told their own story, but since it seems like your dog is no longer exactly quite at death's door, now seems to be the time. My calico cat is about eighteen years old, and in June she stopped regularly eating for about a week and started hiding in weird spots and didn't want to come out. Took her into the vet, bladder infection, needs antibiotics and IV fluids...she went about another two and a half weeks without eating at all, lost half her body weight, looked absolutely deathly, no kind of food (cat or human...tried whole salmon!) seemed to interest her - even some expensive appetite medication didn't help. Any time she'd even try a lick of food, she'd start gagging and run away...one night, her entire body froze up on her as she was walking past me and she literally collapsed directly on my feet and couldn't get back up for a while, one of the saddest and most pitiable things I've ever experienced in my whole life, thought maybe she had a stroke or seizure. Heavily considered putting her down because it seemed pretty certain that she was going to die. All of a sudden, one morning she just started eating again, and now she's more active and adventurous than she had been in like the entire previous year, going on for a few months now. Still skin and bones, it's very difficult for old cats to regain lost body mass because they don't absorb nutrients well, but she seems to have a new handle on life ever since her near-death experience.

Anyways, I don't know how much longer she has, pretty sure she won't survive another bladder infection like that at this stage of her life, so... Hug and appreciate your pets (and family members, as applicable) while you have them, you never know when they might suddenly leave you. Glad to hear you still have at least a little more time with yours too, majestic.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

My dreams have hit a low point, was trying to take some 16:10 monitors some company was throwing out as they went out of business. But the janitor beat me to it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 hours ago, Malcador said:

My dreams have hit a low point, was trying to take some 16:10 monitors some company was throwing out as they went out of business. But the janitor beat me to it.

The superior format, so I completely get your dream self.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

25 minutes ago, Sarex said:

The superior format, so I completely get your dream self.

I have been using them since 2005 or so, so I also agree.  Maybe tonight I'll dream I make the exciting journey to Circle K to get a Sprite.

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

6 hours ago, Malcador said:

Were they 2560x1600 panels? They're pretty rare and expensive, would love to get my hands on a few... Screw ultra-wide, I just want my 16:10 back.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

8 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Glad to hear you still have at least a little more time with yours too, majestic.

It sure looks like it. I don't trust the development yet, but this is him, outside, today. On Monday he tried to get up and fell down a couple of times, and looked so miserable we wanted to have him put down to spare him needless suffering. He's still old, has poor vision and pretty poor hearing (or else pretends not to hear any orders :p), but he looks fine and happy.

image.png.c4f2f43ef698f0e9014150264c0ca5e7.png

Talked to a couple of other pet owners and they sometimes experiences similar things with old pets, cats and dogs. Refusing to eat for a couple of days, shutting down, being weak and then suddenly get better as if nothing happened. Not as extreme as your story about your cat though, of course, but that was from a serious infection. Almost all of them ended with the pets being active normally and then one day just painlessly dying after going to sleep normally.

Seems somewhat unlikely that we will get to experience that, what with his cancer, but fingers crossed. You might, so that's good. :) The experience certainly sounds a lot worse than what we went through, and it was pretty bad on Sunday and Monday. Must have been terrible. I even took some time off work because I couldn't get anything done properly.

• Like 5

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Wait, what? FFS.
The first comment under the video: "Control Panel was a loophole that allowed users to find settings they actually needed." 
I hate that Settings interface/thingie.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

In Estonia now and I half-heartedly apologize to France if Germany invades again. 

I'm mostly joking because everyone assumes I'm Canadan from Canadia when I start speaking English because I'm not loud and pushy (that's what the French accent is for). I guess that's better than the migrant they assume I am before I speak. How do I know some people think I'm a migrant? I'm glad you asked and the answer is they happily tell me. Honesty in race relations is so refreshing, even if they do just want my CAD.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Haha 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

The weather's been "fun" these past few days. Last week we still had a record heat wave and a ridiculous (for September) 35+° in the shade, now much of the country looks like this:

image.jpg

Lower regions run the risk of being flooded. The region where I live is going to be fine as the Danube is unlikely to rise a lot, while there are significant rainfalls (read "significant" as in three times the amount of precipitation of a normal September - over a single weekend), all the major tributaries are in alpine regions. While the snow's causing havoc on the trees and bogs down traffic, at least its a lot of water that is not immediately added to the rivers and lakes.

No, nothing wrong with the climate, nothing to see here. Fake news!

maxresdefault.jpg

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, majestic said:

The weather's been "fun" these past few days. Last week we still had a record heat wave and a ridiculous (for September) 35+° in the shade, now much of the country looks like this:

image.jpg

Lower regions run the risk of being flooded. The region where I live is going to be fine as the Danube is unlikely to rise a lot, while there are significant rainfalls (read "significant" as in three times the amount of precipitation of a normal September - over a single weekend), all the major tributaries are in alpine regions. While the snow's causing havoc on the trees and bogs down traffic, at least its a lot of water that is not immediately added to the rivers and lakes.

No, nothing wrong with the climate, nothing to see here. Fake news!

maxresdefault.jpg

That snow looks refreshing tbh.

Here the weather is a normal 95F/35C after getting a bit colder due to all the rain the last few weeks. Of course Houston is swampland and extremely humid, so the "feels like" temp is closer to 110 F/42C. Which is probably the second hottest summer in my lifetime, only beaten by 2023 and likely only because 2023 was a drought. Completely normal, God's in his heaven all is right with the world.

Anyways I've been working way too damn hard and am utterly exhausted.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

32 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

That snow looks refreshing tbh.

Here the weather is a normal 95F/35C after getting a bit colder due to all the rain the last few weeks. Of course Houston is swampland and extremely humid, so the "feels like" temp is closer to 110 F/42C. Which is probably the second hottest summer in my lifetime, only beaten by 2023 and likely only because 2023 was a drought. Completely normal, God's in his heaven all is right with the world.

Anyways I've been working way too damn hard and am utterly exhausted.

Well, you're in Houston. I mean... not to downlplay your hot summers, but your summers were always much hotter than ours. :yes:

I'm on the same latitude as Victoria, BC (well, almost, at least). Now, it's a bit warmer on average than in British Columbia thanks to a bunch of fun climate factors like the Gulf Stream and Sirocco, but a month with 30+°C almost every day followed by a 30° drop in temperature within a week is not what I signed up for.