Random video game news... Bring me a bucket, and I'll show you a bucket!

On 6/2/2024 at 2:00 PM, Gorgon said:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/homeworld-3/

Ouch. The industry score means nothing. The bad user score is either a hissy fit, lots of those around, or a good indication of a terrible game.

From what I have seen it doesn’t seem terribly, but isn’t great either. Campaign not being great is a big „wait for a deep sale” for me. I still have remasters to finish anyway.

22 hours ago, Gorgon said:

woke spaceships ...

how ?

The story, apparently, or the characters? The reviews bitching about that are so suitably skinny on details, it's hard to tell.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Posted (edited)

Three things from me:

1) Alan Wake2 DLC is out today, featuring Jesse Faden from control, dude from Quantum Break and Alan’s nb1 fan from the diner. It also reminds me that Alan Wake2 exists, which consistently slips my mind due it it being on a storefront I don’t boot up very often.

2) very Jusant-like looking climbing game. It seems to promise a bit more peril, which I am in to. While I liked Jusant, the complete lack of tension made the experience too chill for me. Maybe this will work. 

3) Street Fighter6 Season2 character pass was revealed and….. meh? The offering is skits as stingy as season1, and half of the roster are guests - which as a fighting game newbie means nothing to me. I will probably be holding off pickingthis one, as I don’t immediately see anything compelling for myself.

Bison should be out soonish and got a proper gameplay trailer today:

Edit. Ah. And more of Deliverence2

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

It's just worked out that my preferences have always been for the odd-numbered CIVs, so I'm hoping this game turns out to be a good one. :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kanisatha said:

It's just worked out that my preferences have always been for the odd-numbered CIVs, so I'm hoping this game turns out to be a good one. :)

Let's hope. I was one of the few who really liked the base of CivVI. What soured me on the installement were the expansins, which I didn't think added that much to the game. On one hand I feel no need for another Civ at this moment, but I am curious what will be tweaked in this one.

6 hours ago, MrBrown said:

I hope they make different enough from Civ6. 6 was basically an upgrade on 5, but I'm not sure there's that much interesting stuff to explore that way.

Well, Firaxis (or Sid) have a philosophy of thirds when making a sequel. You identify 1/3 that you want to keep to maintain identity and not alienate the fans. You identify 1/3 you want to improve on in the sequel. You take 1/3 and try something new.

Unless there was a major shift in Firaxis, I can't imagine Civ7 reimagining itself too hard (or rebooting).

• Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Sarex said:

So safe to say that Bioware no longer exists.

How so? Aside from the art style (which I don't like), it's a cinematic, and doesn't really tell anything.

14 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

How so? Aside from the art style (which I don't like), it's a cinematic, and doesn't really tell anything.

You can draw some conclusions from it. One of them being that it's probably a live service game now.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 minute ago, Sarex said:

You can draw some conclusions from it. One of them being that it's probably a live service game now.

Did they say something like that? Or are you just assuming it based on the art style?

3 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Did they say something like that? Or are you just assuming it based on the art style?

You didn't get that from "Heroes" not "Companions" and the style of the trailer? To me it looks obvious they did a hard pivot.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Posted (edited)

Avowed still looks…. Eh?

It looks so…. Basic? It is as if they concluded that PoE were to complex and subtle and overcorrected by cutting all flavour out. Hopefully the game proper fares better, but so far Avowed raises more and more red flags with each reveal.

Edited by Wormerine

13 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Dum, dum. Doom 

Looks cool but I'm really confused about the lore now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Posted (edited)

Mercs, pets, new class Spiritborn added

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra