Patch 3.4.1356 in Public Beta

Greetings Watchers!

It has been a long time since we spoke, but I come bearing good news. We have just released a new patch for Pillars of Eternity on the beta branch for Steam. 

Please let us know if you run into any issues during your time with this updated version of the game. 

https://support.obsidian.net/contact

The player log file has been moved by Unity and it can be found in the following location: 

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity

It has been renamed player.log

To access the Beta branch on Steam, please follow these steps:

1) In your Steam Library Right click on Pillars of Eternity, and select "Properties"

SteamImage1.png

2) Select the "Beta" Tab, and click the Drop Down for labeled "NONE - Opt out of all beta programs", and instead select "Beta - Public Beta branch for upcoming patches"

SteamImage2.png

3) Close the Window, and you should have a download ready. Attempting to play the game should automatically trigger the download.

How to switch back on Steam:

To switch back and opt out of all betas, simply repeat the Steps above, but select "None - Opt out of all Betas" from the drop down list in Step 3.

--Patch Notes--

3.4.1356 changes are in bold. 

General:

• We have updated to Unity Version 2019.4.11.
  • Updated graphics to DirectX 11.
  • Fixed an issue where backer rewards would appear or unlock incorrectly.
  • Also fixed a case where backer rewards might not unlock at all for users in the public beta.
  • Corrected save file location for the public beta (You should no longer need to move save files into a _Local_ directory for them to show up correctly).

Navigation:

• Fixed areas that could not be navigated in numerous scenes.
  • The lake in Cayron's Scar should no longer be unintentionally traversable when submerged.
  • Fixed some cases where NPCs would become stuck when pathing during cutscenes.
  • Fixed some cases where NPCs would walk or run in place during cutscenes.
  • Fixed a handful of doors throughout various scenes that could be walked through due to lacking proper collision.

Visual and Audio:

• Fixed multiple cases where characters might T-Pose briefly at the beginning of a cutscene.
  • Fixed an issue where paperdolls in character creation and inventory screens might appear blurry.
  • Overwhelming Wave should more reliably play its visual effects.
  • Fixed VFX issues with the Woodskin spell rotating or attaching incorrectly.
  • Symbols western chamber of Lle a Rhemen should now properly light up when expected.
  • Fixed redundant horn audio playing after the battle of Yenwood.
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to open locked containers could play multiple voice lines at once.
  • Fixed a handful of cases where dialogue audio wouldn’t play when certain nodes were re-triggered.
  • VFX will no longer become displaced when a character teleports or uses a movement ability.
  • Unstrung Bow’s visuals will now properly appear on the ground when discovered.

Quests and Dialogue:

• Ready the Cannons side quest should now properly update its objectives.
  • Dialogue from Buried Secrets quest should no longer allow the player to demand their payment more than once.
  • Fixed an issue where multiple barked lines in Gilded Vale could overlap excessively.
  • Fixed an issue where Eder’s bark lines in the Temple of Eothas may end abruptly.
  • Fixed a case where Calisca could trigger the wrong bark line near the camp inside Cilant Lîs.
  • Fixed bark lines in Defiance Bay cutting short after their first line.

Combat and Mechanics:

• Earth Blights should no longer sometimes detach from their selection circles when dominated.
  • Scroll of Ray of Fire should now appear correctly and more accurately match the behavior of the Ray of Fire spell.
  • Fixed a case where manually resolving stronghold combat could sometimes yield no rewards.
  • Fixed a case where prone characters might try to move while prone, resulting in sliding behavior.
  • Concelhaut’s Draining Missiles should no longer occasionally show 0.0 damage in the combat log.
  • Weapon Specialization: Peasant should now reliably add its damage to unarmed attacks.
  • Fixed some cases where the Halt spell might confuse enemy AI, causing them to repeatedly interrupt and re-attempt their own actions.
  • Removed errant untargetable Xaurip that could sometimes appear in Dyrford Crossing.
  • Fixed a case where Sleafhota might teleport to an alternate location mid-dialogue before attacking the player.
  • Attacking Osrya directly will now reliably engage with her revenant and skeleton minions.
  • Fixed a case where all survival camping bonuses might appear after spending only a single skill rank on Survival.
  • One-Eyed Molina’s Gold-Fingered Spike-Flinger’s last two soulbound upgrades now increase Reload Speed instead of decreasing it.
  • Deadfire Pack’s soulbound weapons now have the Universal weapon group.
  • Fixed an issue with status effects from old saves duplicating when loaded on newer builds.

User Interface and Interaction:

• Fixed a UI issue where chants could sometimes clip beyond their scrolling frame.
  • Fixed a case where the damage type icon on the character sheet might not position correctly.
  • Fixed some cases where assigning companions to multiple stronghold missions at once might cause UI issues.
  • Quick loading with the crafting or enchanting UI open should no longer result in a permanent black screen.
  • Fixed a typo in the description of Animal Companions.
  • Fixed an issue where highlighting certain parts of a defeated enemy would not allow you to loot them.
  • Doors in some scenes that were difficult to interact with have had their collision revised and should now be more reliable.
  • Fixed a case where the final pressure plate in the Temple of Woedica would not appear.
  • Examining the wall trophy inside of Elm’s Reach should now be possible.
  • Skipping intros when first starting the client should now be more responsive.
  • Fixed accuracy tooltips not appearing on the character sheet.
  • Interactable tree in the Abbey of the Fallen Moon now can be interacted with properly.
  • Fixed a bug preventing interactable highlights from appearing after opening the map.

• Like 11
  • Gasp! 1

• cstanick changed the title to Patch 3.4.1340 in Public Beta

please please please please please please please please please please please please fix traps before you close the book on this patch (who knows if we get another)

it is probably the single biggest mechanically broken thing in the game: 

do this and i'll send a hand-written letter of effusive thanks to the obsidian dev team

• Like 4

Hey folks,

It's great to see so many familiar faces, and new ones too!

Right now we're taking a lot of caution to make sure the game is stable with the unity engine update and we aren't introducing any major new issues. However, I'll make sure we investigate both the trap potency and the cursor flickering issues as well. It'll be great fix up some of those long-time nuisances. 🫡 (and a few others too!)

@callistege - Yes, you should be able to continue your current play-through on the public beta branch. However, please note that the branch is a newer version of the game, and we tend to restrict loading newer saves on older versions, so any save games you make on the public beta won't be valid on the Release branch until the new patch goes live.

Thanks everyone for your support, and if you happen to find anything else you'd like to report feel free to pass them along and we'll do our best to track and work through them!

• Like 7

8 hours ago, thelee said:

it is probably the single biggest mechanically broken thing in the game

Yeah, this one is nasty. Ever since white march added Coil of Resourcefulness belt (+15 trap accuracy) I always wanted to try weird rogue build that would max Mechanics for best trap accuracy possible and liberally use the traps. But that bug stopped me in my tracks for good.

Also a bit sad devs originally decided to cut trap-focused talents because that would make that build more viable for sure.

traps.thumb.png.457fafa5b3315352296ea827dd809123.png

4 hours ago, NCarver said:

I'll make sure we investigate both the trap potency

Any chance for restoration of these talents? Don't think they will break the balance in half but it would be a nice boost for one area of the game that felt undercooked. Another thing you could contemplate is to remove the extremely limiting one-trap-per-character arbitrary rule and introduce a limit that scales off from Mechanics. Maybe characters could place one extra trap for each 5 Mechanics they have? Meaning you could place 4 at 20 Mechanics. If this is too much, then 1 per 10?

Edited by Mraicor
more text

Really excited to see this getting a new update! Always looking for an excuse to dive into one of my all time favourite RPGs!

Edit: I might be getting a head of myself, but I noticed that the game doesn't seem to generate a Output_log.txt file that I could find. Is there a specific file we should be sending when we encounter a bug?

Edited by Kvellen

5 hours ago, NCarver said:

if you happen to find anything else you'd like to report feel free to pass them along and we'll do our best to track and work through them!

1. Long standing narrative bug that gave community some pain and despite all the research and data provided was never fixed. Basically if you kill any ogre while doing the Dyrford ogre quest A Farmer's Plight, the peaceful resolution to talk with the ogre bugs out and it becomes impossible to complete it that way and unlock Korgak as hireling for keep.

The only way to avoid that bug is to know about it in advance and avoid killing any ogres until you complete the quest (quest's script can't distinguish between Korgak and any other ogre of the same melee variety) which is rather hard considering ogres appear early in WM1 and on third floor of Caed Nua.

More details:

2. Another one that keeps bothering me but is straightforward to fix.

Early game quest The Old Watcher will not update properly if certain dialogue choices are used.

When you meet steward for the first time you will have three options:

1: "I'm looking for Maerwald."

2: "Who's that speaking."

3: "You know what I am?"

Only first option gives you XP and quest update in the journal. If you select 2 or 3, the first option will disappear and you will permanently get robbed of early game quest progression XP and quest journal entry.

3. Would also like to see stuff added by Deadfire Pack fixed.

• One-Eyed Molina's Gold-Fingered Spike-Flinger's soulbound upgrades level 4 and 5 do not seem to work as intended, providing attack speed and reload speed penalty instead of the boost listed in the item's description.
  • Soulbound Weapons added by Deadfire pack do not belong to the "Universal" Weapon Focus group. Thus One-Eyed Molina's Gold-Fingered Spike-Flinger belongs to Weapon Focus: Soldier.
Edited by Mraicor
Recalled more bugs.
  • Like 1

I know this is a bit of wishful thinking... But I imagine this is PC exclusive and doesn't include anything regarding the rather sad state the Nintendo Switch Prt was left in?

That said, ANY love to the game, even now is welcome. Means I get to brush up on my old saves and/or start another marathon playthrough!

I am actually in the middle of a Rogue PoE playthrough and enjoying it. Except for Traps - the accuracy is all bugged. Trap damage to your party is 10-20x the trap damage to mobs. That just doesn't compute.

Also, that crossbow One-Eyed Molina's Gold-Fingered Spike-Flinger is bugged. It gives an attack speed and reload speed penalty instead of a boost! Hopefully, this should be easy to fix ?

• Like 1

Found a few issues already:

Text displays differently in bad ways, as shown in the attached screenshots. The left is the live patch, the right is this beta. There are kerning issues, text just seems smaller/less clear, and it's especially glaring in the conversation window where it seems like the font size of some letters is just 1px bigger/smaller than others. This is with all the same display/graphics settings.

Also, when meeting Kana for the first time outside of Caed Nua and selecting the option "What are you doing over there?", when the conversation gets to Kana saying "Killing time...", there's a sound like knocking on wood. In the live patch, there's no VO at all for this line.

comparison.png

May I ask for fixes to the Deadfire Pack items? Known issues from the top of my head:

* None of the Soulbound items are coded as Weapon Type: Universal;

* One-Eyed Molina's Gold-Fingered Spike Flicker receives an attack speed malus instead of bonus as the soulbound levels progress;

* Texture paths for the male crewmember uniforms are broken and they appear discolored.

The last two are already fixed via mods on the Nexus and it seems that addressing the issue is not that hard at all.

• Like 1

Here is a super minor big, but hey - maybe it's a quick fix.

Spoiler

Coppelane, first statue of Magran on the left after rekindling Fryga's faith in the Cinders of Fate quest. The Fire wrongly appears behind the brazier.

Bug.png

Another statue behind the Goose and Fox doesn't get lit at all:

Bug2.png

The statures in Brackenbury and Ondr's Gift work as intended.

Edited by Cerebro83

This update is to get Steam/GoG version in line with Epic version, Epic version already had Unity update couple years ago.

I don't know why DX11 upgrade isn't listed, they upgraded PoE to DX11 in Epic version ( for PoE to be released on new XBox it needs to be DX11+). Due to this change your favorite reshades will not work with this version and they need to be updated.

2024010622005312_123.jpg

Tried to access the beta but there is none - am I correct that it is only accessible with the Windows version and not Linux?

Edit: uninstalled - reinstalling it while forcing Proton, maybe that'll do it. 

Edit 2: nope - that won't let me start the game at all. Too bad - but I guess this will happen without me. :( 

Edit 3: funny - I reverted back to ye olde linux version and suddenly (once I opted into the beta branch) I got the new update. Jucheissa! 😄 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

In the stable version I use the following fixes:

• UPMod
  • Tooltip Flicker Fix
  • CC Stacking Fix
  • Conversation Fixes
  • Deadfire DLC Male Uniform Fix
  • One-Eyed Molina's Gold-Fingered Spike-Flinger Fix

Should I continue to use them in beta? Will they be built into the official update?

P.S. And yet, the game UI looks normal only at 1080p and lower. If you use 1440p or higher, everything becomes very blurry. Only Reshade helps with sharpening (my mod High Resolution Blur Fix). Is there nothing that can be done about this?