Anime and Manga - How do you Live? Edition

Bartimaeus

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

Anyway, there is also Delicious in Dungeon.

That one is a banger that I think both m and b would maybe like or at least not dislike.

• Gasp! 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

15 minutes ago, Sarex said:

That one is a banger that I think both m and b would maybe like or at least not dislike.

......could it be what finally ends the world?

• Gasp! 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

18 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

......could it be what finally ends the world?

Or maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment. :)

Saying that, this is one of the rare manga that has a story to tell and sticks to it, not trying to sell chapters and all that.

• Like 1

Well, it's not anime, but animated. David Firth released another Salad Fingers episode a couple of months back, and... uhm...

Yeah even for Salad Fingers, that one is a headscratcher. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Frieren 17

Frieren and her party have to stay in a village during winter. Fern and Stark are "acting strange".😂

frieren.png

Delicious in Dungeon 1

Very good first episode. They went direct to business, we even got two different meals. Nothing too weird so far, but the dwarf can probably eat anything he finds inside the dungeon.

Marcille may be a contender to Anya and her face expressions.

• Like 2

sign.jpg

6 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Frieren 17

Frieren and her party have to stay in a village during winter. Fern and Stark are "acting strange".😂

frieren.png

Delicious in Dungeon 1

Very good first episode. They went direct to business, we even got two different meals. Nothing too weird so far, but the dwarf can probably eat anything he finds inside the dungeon.

Marcille may be a contender to Anya and her face expressions.

Saw Frieren episode 17 today...

Teenagers.... 🙄

The drinking, cheating, gambling priest to the rescue 😁

fsohYos.png

Said priest evaluating the situation afterwards...

pxGmlNh.png

Some things are consistent throughout the episodes...

Frieren being irresistibly drawn towards magic grimoires, mimics or no mimics

GfWI0rZ.png

and she has a hard time getting out of bed in the morning

nwjL4i5.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

After 13 years Noragami has reach it's final chapter. It ended on a sweet note and I think it suits the story well. It was a though journey as I think the mangaka had trouble managing to produce chapters, even though it was a monthly series. At the tail end of the story those small and split chapters really took it out of it, but I guess the situation was much better for volume readers.

All in a all a good manga with a very unique and interesting story and characters.

I also watched Delicious in a Dungeon. I'll refrain from making any comments because I think they would be spoilery, but I like what I saw very much.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

A 2023 anime about dungeon-crawling and literal video game mechanics centered around a male character and eating food, what could go wrong? For Bartimaeus who can't think of anything that he doesn't hate about this...nothing, so let's check it out - these things have a good track record, after all.

I'm exactly 2 minutes and 8 seconds into the episode and I really, really, really want to turn it off. I'm getting some painful flashbacks to the very first anime I gave an honest try, My Hero Academia, which is what lead to me instead trying Sailor Moon. Sailor Moon did not infuriate me every second of every minute like the three episodes of My Hero Academia that I watched before tossing it into the nearest incinerator did. You know, I'm pretty sure the hard drive that I used to store the first season of My Hero Academia has since died, and I'd say good riddance.

I am now 3 minute and 1 seconds into the episode and I feel like my brain is going to explode from an aneurysm. I don't want to do this anymore.

4 minutes and 53 seconds, seeing this girl's stupid face matched with her boilerplate anime proclamation of not giving up has made me quit.

mpc-hc64_LshMG7xQmr.png?rlkey=bbsrbwsp0z

I hope the hard drive I used to store the first episode this show also dies sometime soon. Yes, I could've easily just watched it on Netflix, but I didn't want Netflix trying to recommend any anime to me.

• Haha 5
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Finished Psycho Pass

I very much liked it, perhaps even loved it. Frankly it's the kind of thing a lot of (western) live-action series on streaming services try to pull off but can't because they get cancelled too quickly to tell the whole story, which is exactly what I thought when I began watching it. There's apparently a couple of sequel series and some movies, I'll maybe check those out and see what they're like but imo as a limited series this can stand alone. I'd tepidly reccomend it to the folks here, though as always the naughty :biggrin: brain of @Bartimaeus may short circuit and drive him into enough of a rage to complete his unholy ritual to summon a demon that will try to kill us all.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 minute ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Finished Psycho Pass

I very much liked it, perhaps even loved it. Frankly it's the kind of thing a lot of (western) live-action series on streaming services try to pull off but can't because they get cancelled too quickly to tell the whole story, which is exactly what I thought when I began watching it. There's apparently a couple of sequel series and some movies, I'll maybe check those out and see what they're like but imo as a limited series this can stand alone. I'd tepidly reccomend it to the folks here, though as always the naughty :biggrin: brain of @Bartimaeus may short circuit and drive him into enough of a rage to complete his unholy ritual to summon a demon that will try to kill us all.

I watched it a long time ago, don't know if I finished it though. I think I did not. Can't remember why though.

Just now, Sarex said:

I watched it a long time ago, don't know if I finished it though. I think I did not. Can't remember why though.

I'd say give it another chance. It is 22 episodes but they feel pretty tight and well paced.

Frieren 18... the little group has decided they need to be proper licensed mages. Fern is already a "class 3 mage", because she aced the test as the youngest participant ever. When asked why she went straight to grade 3, it was because it was the first upcoming test date 🙄

Frieren herself is "unlicensed". Apparently the regulatory requirements and the institutions change every few centuries, so she couldn't be bothered to try to keep up. Frieren decides that she and Fern both are going to apply for the first class mage test. and they hitch a ride on a wagon to the city, where the test is administered. The conversations are a bit "strained" 😂

Fern makes a comment, that despite Frieren actively suppressing the power she radiates, she still radiates with the power of an experienced old mage (despite showing like 1/100th of her power)

m1PF793.png

Because Stark took a dig at her in episode 6...

cmt7imm.png

Better just to sleep on it for now, because Frieren being Frieren, it's nap time (old people need their beauty sleep after all)

NFO5rOI.png

There is very little innuendo in this anime, but what little there is, can be quite funny (this is a bit of an obscure reference to a scene in episode 3)

nE11hG5.png

wNe7R70.png

hpDZQ6w.png

bkUlBdD.png

I'll add a follow up with the two scenes referenced

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 1/7/2024 at 6:21 AM, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Finished Psycho Pass

style is nice

dialogue is absolute chuuni

at least second season have sakura ayane in it

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gorth said:

Frieren 18...

I'll add a follow up with the two scenes referenced

Additionally to episode 18, Fern and Frieren gets assigned to two different groups (of mages) for the test, so not on the same team. Frieren ends up with two constantly fighting girls and Fern ends up with an imperial court wizard (that killed his opposition to get the position) and a psychopath young girl, that failed her previous graduation from class 3 mage to class 2 mage, because she killed the class 1 mage proctor of the test...

We never really get any hints, that Fern is a curvy young woman besides Frierens references. Probably because she is dressed up like a Taliban bride (minus the headwear), covering her body fully. In Episode 3, Frieren "notices" the differences between the two of them

FNQXjwF.png

JC70iW3.png

7OJ3CIN.png

5vj37w4.png

Stark was a local village hero, because the village thought he subdued the dragon threatening the village (in reality, he was frozen to the spot in fear and the dragon lost interest in him). In episode 6, he gets persuaded by Frieren, that they can kill the dragon, freeing him up, so he can join her and Fern as the groups front line fighter.  The plan is, he has to keep the dragon distracted for 30 seconds, giving the mages time to prepare magic for blasting the dragon to pieces. After some very long 30 seconds, Stark has unknowingly defeated the dragon all on his own and gives Frieren an earful because she is holding back and haven't delivered the killing blow yet (because he doesn't know himself, that he actually killed the dragon already, he whinges loudly that he has kept his part of the agreement, but Frieren still hasn't finished the dragon off)

B2o8Yb2.jpg

FeRchKJ.png

• Haha 1

Frieren 18

Frieren and Fern start their test to become a 1st class mage. The mages in the academy have no idea of who Frieren is. It's been 79 years, but shouldn't they know about the mage who defeated the Demon Lord? I hope they get a nice surprise later, when Frieren gets the license.

That is, if she passes it. The first test involves teams and Frieren's is not the most harmonious one:

frieren18a.png

frieren18b.png

frieren18c.png

They also showed a brief scene for Frieren's birthday.

r45TCq8.jpeg

21 candles? Is it one for each century?😂

• Haha 1

sign.jpg

Delicious in Dungeon 3:

Another good episode with an interesting challenge. Laios shows that he is crazier than the dwarf.

Living armor isn't edible. Or is it?

Frieren 19:

Frieren and her team decide to use a strategy that will challenge every other team in the test. Fern gets into a battle and her opponent underestimates, her. The next episode will be interesting.

frierenfern.png

• Like 1

sign.jpg

I have to say, I dislike the cuts they make between episodes. There is no need to rely on cheap tricks when the show is more than good enough to get people to watch the next episode. Then again the manga wasn't that much better in that regards...

Edited by Sarex
  • Thanks 1

I've been in stitches for the past day since starting to watch Love is War, my eyes are hurting from all the tears from laughing and the pain in my sides. The show is really cuuuute, sometimes painfully so, but the english narrator really lifts it and turns the humour to new heights!

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Neo Ranga (1998).

25488_front.jpg?t=1322390024

I got through like seven episodes, but it's so confusing and everything feels so inexplicable/poorly explained that all I know is that, one, it's very clearly a Neon Genesis Evangelion rip-off, and two, nobody has ever seen it. I cannot really make heads or tails of what it's trying to accomplish, except that it's obviously trying to cash in on the general style and mannerisms of Neon Genesis Evangelion...just, uh, without necessarily doing it all that well. Well, the art and animation are nice enough, the character writing seems alright, scenes in a vacuum are well-made...but as to the overall story and how it flows as a whole, I really just am not getting it even after so many episodes.

Long and short of what I know is that the brother of three sisters (pictured above) went missing a decade earlier, said brother somehow became a king of some island in the Pacific, he suddenly passed away, and then a mecha-god awakens from the island and invades Japan in order...to follow them around and basically be their guardian angel, causing massive disruptions to the central and local governments as it just levels entire buildings by accident? You know, now that I say all that out-loud, it sure sounds pretty stupid. The show is 48 episodes long, so I'm sure the thing serves some greater purpose, but information online is pretty threadbare because again, it seems nobody watched it, ergo no good explanations as to what the heck is going on. I don't know, forays into old, obscure stuff sure can be difficult and weird. I can only presume from the posters of this show that the three girls are eventually absorbed into or at least start to be able to control the thing, but if that's what ends up happening, there isn't any hint of it from what I've seen, and I'm not super compelled to keep watching more at this point, so...

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.