Anime and Manga - How do you Live? Edition

Bartimaeus

7 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

who's gonna listen to a weeb drone on and on about NGE for two hours

and am i pronouncing evangelion wrong, or is he

I didn't plan to either, but it quickly turned in to a very interesting watch. He certainly picked up on some things that went over my head, but to be fair it has been a while since I watched the series.

He is doing the American pronunciation, the only different way I heard it pronounced is the British way. (and I guess the Japanese way)

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

21 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

who's gonna listen to a weeb drone on and on about NGE for two hours

and am i pronouncing evangelion wrong, or is he

He's pronouncing every single name wrong, so... :shrugz:

Well, at least compared to the Japanese original. I do not know either of the English dubs. I listened to part of the video and began to wonder if someone just had a speech generating AI say a script over the video at times. Droning on is quite an apt description.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Okay, so I recognize that pronunciations don't really matter...especially given that from what I noticed even from my little exposure of the Japanese, it seemed to be sometimes "ehv-vuhn", sometimes "aev-vaun". The original English dub changed how it was said as the series went on: the first episode, it is "ee-van", but that's definitely not how it's said for the majority of the series (and hearing characters say "ee-va" over and over would've been very noticeable). I've said before that the original English dub is a hot mess to start with and it takes at least a handful of episodes before both the overall voice/script direction and individual actors start to get their act together, so it is what it is. But as I said, it doesn't really matter: what matters, and what is the actual problem here, is that it's very difficult to listen to this guy talk for 30 seconds, never mind 2 hours, :p. There's a lot that goes into video essays (such as subject material, writing, the base sound of their voice, speaking style/cadence/accent*, having relevant/interesting visuals, and probably a number of other little but still important things I could identify if I spent like fifteen minutes thinking about it), and if you don't have at least most of those nailed down just right for me, it's probably not going to work out. This guy has maybe one of those things, which is that I should theoretically be interested in someone talk about Neon Genesis. And that's really only theoretically, because I'm really honestly not sure how much I care about the Evangelion series as a whole whenever we look at it outside specifically just the interwoven stories of Shinji, Rei, Asuka, and Misato. I clearly don't enjoy Neon Genesis for the same reasons that most other people seem to enjoy the Evangelion series, and I'm perfectly okay with that given how abysmal discourse around a show like this generally is.

*Yes, even accent: for example, there's no way in hell I'm ever listening to some guy with a heavy French accent talk about anything at length at any point in my life, and anybody who tries to make me can go right ahead and suck it, because that's just not happening.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

8 minutes ago, Sarex said:

xyLm63J.png

Wow it's literally me

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I just watched Frieren 23... a small recap of 22 before sharing a few screenshots 23 though

Stark lying in his bed, enjoying sleeping through the day until late in the evening, a lifestyle abruptly interrupted by increasingly aggressive knocking on his door 😁

Frieren makes the mistake of opening her mouth...

1JlCp5t.jpg

We know from previous episodes that Fern loves sweets, so food is the way to her heart so to speak...

If there was any doubt, Frieren is NOT a vegetarian 😂

Other groups of mages also frequent the same place, Denken still acting like a grandpa towards the young mage Laufen.

V512cDk.jpg

Kanne and Lawine (the two young mages who were teamed up with Frieren in the first test) are still around. Lawine's brothers are visiting from the capital and they are a pain in the butt!

Of course, Kanne can't resist the temptation to mock her outrageously, with predictable results 😁

6CPksmv.jpg

Leave it to Frieren to wreck Ferns mood again 😢

dgB6Ux8.jpg

Poor Stark invites Fern out for some snack shopping... brave man indeed!

YLN3vKH.png

He choose poorly... (anyone remember that old movie?). The Continental Mages organization has hired some of the mages to hunt down a large monster and they need a warrior

TlNmnQS.jpg

The episode ends with blue birds delivering written invitations to the second test (and Stark enjoying a meal with people that weren't that terrible after all)

goihf5c.jpg

Edit: Trying out some new collage making app I bought. Looks like I need to reduce the size by at least another 50% 🤔

Will do that for the episode 23 summary

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 2/15/2024 at 12:31 AM, Bartimaeus said:

Okay, so I recognize that pronunciations don't really matter...

For the names and the likes I might even agree, but considering that the guy keeps saying nucular like he's Homer Simpson or George W. Bush I have to disagree. I take my prior statement back, an AI text to speech engine would have been better. :yes:

Edited by majestic
Home Simpson -> Homer Simpson
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I was weak... had to know how the Frieren story continues, so found a Youtube channel that covered the next two major story arcs in the manga, "El Dorado" and "The Goddess's Monument". Together at least as big as the entirety of season 1 and then some. Crossing fingers and hoping season 1 did well enough for season 2 to be made.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I haven't watched the three most recent Delicious in Dungeon episodes because Netflix finally noticed that I don't leave with my parents. 😂

There hasn't been much of interest to me on Netflix, so I'll let my parents keep it and I'll catch on when I visit.

Frieren 23

Frieren and Fern started another test, to explore a dungeon and reach its bottom. What could possibly go wrong?

Spoiler

Frieren23a.png

Frieren23b.png

Frieren23c.png

Denken managed to gather the few people who understood they were not competing anymore. They fight together against some magic clones of themselves. But then they meet the final boss:

Spoiler

JHcax55.png

R.I.P.

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

7 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

I haven't watched the three most recent Delicious in Dungeon episodes because Netflix finally noticed that I don't leave with my parents. 😂

There hasn't been much of interest to me on Netflix, so I'll let my parents keep it and I'll catch on when I visit.

You just use the "I'm traveling" code which gives you 3 weeks I think. I don't think there is anything stopping you from reusing it, or at least I have not encountered it.

Edited by Sarex
  • Thanks 1

First disappointing chapter of Frieren. It does seem like it's a set up for a future plot, but it was just so low effort. For some reason the author decided to wrap it up in 1 chapter and continue the story. Feels so jarring when compared to the rest of the short stories in the manga.

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/18/2024 at 6:37 PM, InsaneCommander said:

There hasn't been much of interest to me on Netflix, so I'll let my parents keep it and I'll catch on when I visit

It's truly mind-boggling that Netflix pulled that ****. Like if you're paying for 2 or more screens at a time why do they care where those screens are?

4 minutes ago, Sarex said:

First disappointing chapter of Frieren.

NANI?!?!?!?!?!?

• Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

First disappointing chapter of Frieren. It does seem like it's a set up for a future plot, but it was just so low effort. For some reason the author decided to wrap it up in 1 chapter and continue the story. Feels so jarring when compared to the rest of the short stories in the manga.

What chapter was that???

Frieren and Mimic's... 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

The latest chapter of the manga.

Oh, I only sneak peeked the next two arcs...

edit: I assume those two continue from where the anime most likely ends in a few episodes time

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

Oh, I only sneak peeked the next two arcs...

edit: I assume those two continue from where the anime most likely ends in a few episodes time

Yeah, I think this season will end with the mage exam. The anime follows the manga, so yes.

9 minutes ago, HoonDing said:

Dungeon Meshi is like one of those 1 dollar Steam RPG Maker games in video form.

It has a formula I'll give you that, but there is a story intertwined through it. It's just that you get bits and pieces in the beginning of it.

Frieren episode 23... (because 24 will probably show up tonight while I'm in bed) 😖

The Proctor of the test, Sense, is trying to calm the test takers by trying to convince them not to put too much stock in past test results (in the last 4 tests she presented, nobody passed the test)

The nature of the test is explained, and she even gives each test taker an "escape golem". A small bottle with a golem inside, if the bottle is broken, the golem will take the test taker to the surface. Because Sense thinks it unnecessary to kill promising mages.

Denken, being the wise old man thinks they should all team up, because anyone who reaches the bottom passes the test. Doesn't have to be at the expense of anyone, i.e. not competing against each other. Humans being humans, they refuse and congregate in small groups with the people they feel comfortable around.

Practical as always, Fern of course brought the mini-map to keep track of where in the dungeon they are 😝

Left out the part where Himmel goes on about always having to map the entire level before going to the next 😂

9ljdjZO.jpg

Frieren meets her arch-nemesis along the way... 🙄

xmHe1Ne.jpg

The various mage groups encounters traps, most of them deadly. From the ceiling crushing people against the floor over gargoyles to suddenly having to fight replicas of themselves... The escape golem seems to work as advertised, when one of the mages get trapped between spiky walls closing in on her. Breaking the bottle makes the golem inflate, break the wall, pick her up and run to the surface.

gXiMAJJ.jpg

Frieren explains how she handled mimics when solo-leveling...

846Gfx8.png

...and sometimes get rewarded for her persistency ☺️

Y7Z0JCv.jpg

Denkens group runs into a replica, he hadn't anticipated (he tried to face Frieren in the first test and got literally butt kicked)... insert epic boss music here. The boss is Frieren the Slayer 🎶

9so051T.jpg

of course, that's where the episode ended

• Like 1

Frieren 24

Frieren24a.jpg

While other contestants face the magical clones (or sit down crying), Frieren’s group looks for secret rooms and grimoires. Eventually they reach Denken’s party and find out about Frieren’s replica.

Frieren24b.png

Some thoughts here: if everyone went inside together, it would be a disaster. They would probably have to face multiple copies at the same time, including Sense’s and Frieren’s. And if they can’t handle Frieren as a group (or at least hesitated and tried to formulate a plan), imagine if the enemy was in greater numbers. The psycho girl, however, could have stopped Frieren’s copy simply looking through the keyhole. But she was busy elsewhere.

Another easy way to win, which could be Fern’s idea, is to simply send a mimic to deal with Frieren’s clone.😂

Later, one of the mages tried to determine if Frieren had any vulnerabilities. Frieren enjoyed it.  Fern didn’t!

Spoiler

Frieren24d.png

Frieren24c.png

Frieren24e.png

• Like 1

sign.jpg

@InsaneCommander I just watched it this morning 😂

That Fern jealousy scene was just so adorable 🥰

Edit:

Not going to post a tonne of screenshot of Episode 24... this clip covers scenes from the start, the middle and the end. The growing group of mages stranded at Frierens replica decides if it comes to brute force, Fern is going to face Frieren (by Frierens own admission like 10 episodes ago, she's no match for Fern when it comes to overwhelming opponents with sheer force and ferocity)

Edit2: Frieren being Frieren... no mimics this time!

• Like 1