Food Thread - Those that eat

Keyrock

9 hours ago, majestic said:

Hey @Azdeus look, you're no longer the worst food heathen on the forum. :x

ketchup.gif?ex=65d3b605&is=65c14105&hm=b

• Haha 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

had a st. brigid's day meal on monday. doesn't everybody? technical the festival day is  feb 1, but it is observed on the first monday o' feb.  made plenty o' boxty and dublin coddle. am mentioning 'cause is thursday am am still eating boxty and dublin coddle. 

we do make our coddle more like a stew-- we braise. we pretty much braise anything when is possible. is a tad more fluid in our pot than a legit stovetop-simmered-almost-dry coddle. but not overmuch. 

we will say that boxty is likely our favorite variety o' potato "pancake." that said, our dogs are indifferent about the boxty but they do enjoy our dublin coddle.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

52 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I had to look this up and now I'm curious to make it myself

Thanks!

np and gl.

our only additional input is to recommend looking for a dublin coddle recipe which includes at least a bit of uncovered or partial covered oven time. traditional simmer on the stovetop doesn't result in the kinda flavourful browning you want in a beef stew, beef bourguignon, dublin coddle or any other stew. brown is good for stew.

HA! Good Fun!

ps boxty, 'cause o' the significant dairy and mashed potatoes in the recipe, is arguable better when reheated the next day. 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

made nacho cheese sauce. 

hate to admit this, but our nacho cheese sauce doesn't tastes quite right unless we use some quantity o' american or velveeta. it should taste better with a combo o' cheddar(s) and something such as jack, and am having tried dozens o' combinations, but...

we start with a very blond roux to which we add evaporated milk (or some other dairy, but usual evaporated milk for nacho cheese sauce) and reduce until is starting to thicken--bechamel. next we add cayene pepper and diced pickled jalapeno as well as a bit o' the brine... typical add a bit o' fire roasted salsa as well. then we stir in copious amounts o' cheese.

we got a bunch o' different variations o' the 'bove process, but the resulting changes provide only minor differences in the finished product. as we ordinary start out with a bechamel, we do not need american or velveeta to keep the sauce creamy. nevertheless, we literal cannot get the taste quite right w/o cheddar and velveeta or american cheese. 

am not sure why it bothers us we need use american or velveeta, but it does. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps sour cream is one o' those dairy options most folks do not consider when making a cheese sauce, but am finding it is a possibility worth exploring. sour cream is in fact our defacto dairy when making stovetop mac and cheese. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 10:26 AM, ShadySands said:

I made steak ...

you had us at "steak."

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Flanken short ribs in the air fryer and a sirloin steak on the stove. Also made a mizuna salad with toasted hazelnuts, burrata, strawberries, and balsamic vinegar. Wife had the steak and salad and my sonathan had the short ribs (and I helped) and some left over boxed shells and cheese.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

funny(ish), a couple days ago we also made short ribs--english, not flanken. we were dry aging a half dozen glorious hunks o' meat in the fridge. the thing is, we had a guest who saw the meat in our chill box and asked if we were gonna make the same short ribs meal we made for her on a previous visit. took us a half second to recollect which recipe she meant.

dr. pepper braised short ribs.

NFE47SC7RNOVJB7G5OSHAUBYFI.jpg?w=620

don't get us wrong, while am less a fan o' meat in sweat sauce, we enjoy the dr. pepper braised short ribs... but these were sooper fantastic short ribs dry aging for extra meat intensity which would kinda go unnoticed with a dr. pepper braise.

we made the dr. pepper braised short ribs anyways, 'cause am having difficulty saying no to a guest about something relative trivial.

got halfway through making the short ribs and it sudden occurred to us we didn't need use all six short ribs for the dr. pepper braise. coulda' used just one or two and made in our smallish dutch oven. we literal had never made less than four short ribs for the braise, so  it just didn't occur to us to y'know, reduce the recipe amounts since we were cooking for only two people. idiot.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Pasta carbonara. I used guanciale for the meat. I also made anchovy bread crumbs with some panko and anchovy paste. Mixed it up and toasted it and sprinkled it on top with a small dollop of chopped calabrian chili and a couple of cranks on the black pepper grinder.

• Like 1

A beef and mushroom ragu with a simple salad and sheet cake for desert. I'm satisfied.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to do a red cabbage stew with red wine but the store I passed by didn't have any cheap sh†t and in the end I decided against using that kinda decent looking Primitivo on cabbages. Turns out balsamic vinegar does just fine alone if with enough seasonings. :yes:

• Like 1

Yesterday I made Baingan Bharta (with peas) for the first time, and it turned out much, much better than I'd expected. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes cooking, as it's not all that difficult if you've got at least some experience of cooking in general, and do not get jittery about roasting eggplants.

• Like 1

Treated myself to a Dragon Roll at our local Asian place.

image.thumb.png.299b83cc4f9da7c94f66b67cbb2fa0c5.png

As far as I know, Dragon Rolls are usually made with either ebi tempura or grilled unagi. They just went ahead and used both, and added a little Terriyaki sauce on top, which makes their dragon roll an exposion of taste that goes from perfectly soft and sweet to crunchy fried shrimp when chewing.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

17 hours ago, majestic said:

Treated myself to a Dragon Roll at our local Asian place.

image.thumb.png.299b83cc4f9da7c94f66b67cbb2fa0c5.png

As far as I know, Dragon Rolls are usually made with either ebi tempura or grilled unagi. They just went ahead and used both, and added a little Terriyaki sauce on top, which makes their dragon roll an exposion of taste that goes from perfectly soft and sweet to crunchy fried shrimp when chewing.

My local sushi joint makes dragon rolls with unagi, which is perfectly fine with me since I love eel. Unagi temaki (big cone-shaped rolls) are my absolute favorite sushi.

Back in the day when I lived in Connecticut we used to make the roughly 40 minute drive to New Britain and get smoked eel (among other things) from the Polish butcher. That eel would be half gone by the time we got home because I'd be devouring it on the way. Couldn't even wait to get home, not enough willpower.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Tuna salad sammiches

I can never find good rye bread unless I go to a specialty store. All the others around here might as well be pure caraway and I think more than a tiny hint is way too much.

• Gasp! 1

I love rye bread but I'm also not a fan of caraway seeds. I can handle a little bit, but even then I'd rather they were just not present.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Been making sandwiches for lunch. I only eat lunch a few times a week at most but I've been enjoying the sandwiches I make and so has my wife. She always steals a half. 

#TeamMiracleWhipandSpicyBrownMustard

Yes, I vastly prefer the whip to mayo. Come at me bro, drone strike me IRL. 😛

Both mayo and miracle whip are the condiments of the devil. The BLAND devil. At the very least whip in some spices or hot sauce into it, or use butter.

I went to Tim Hortons and ate a bec croissant and a crueller with a latte because I had to start work at 6am this morning.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands