The All Things Political Topic - new edition

uuuhhii

That stuff is so wild to me. I can't even imagine to just blast someone dead if they drive their car onto my driveway for a second.

• Haha 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

1 minute ago, Lexx said:

That stuff is so wild to me. I can't even imagine to just blast someone dead if they drive their car onto my driveway for a second.

I also cant imagine you doing it, do you own a gun?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

So you talking about crack cocaine being free then people wouldnt commit crimes to feed there habit? There is an argument to that logic 

Well, drug and alcohol addiction are mental diseases like any other. You wouldnt deny some mentally challenged person their meds, so why deny an addict? Then they wont need to steal stuff or sell their bodies to fund there habits.

• Hmmm 1

34 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Well, you just need to be more paranoid. Guns aplenty in the US, that and I guess media scaring people.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

32 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Well, drug and alcohol addiction are mental diseases like any other. You wouldnt deny some mentally challenged person their meds, so why deny an addict? Then they wont need to steal stuff or sell their bodies to fund there habits.

I don't think the disease model of addiction is a particularly fruitful way of viewing the problem, although there is obviously a semantic component to the question as well, i.e. how do you define the term disease.

Often, what ultimately creates an addiction is a desperate attempt to cure or at least come to terms with or escape the original, underlying dis-ease (sorry), i.e. some sort of intense psychological suffering. This is one reason why addictions are so very difficult to overcome: often the first thing that happens after some sobering up is the intense reoccurrence of the original problem, and this is generally where people relapse, because the suffering is so intense. (Hence the AA joke about how it's not necessary to try to get in touch with your emotions, as they will get in touch with you, just you wait.)

I think it was Jung who pointed out that neurotic behaviour tends to be a substitute for real suffering. So, for instance, if there's something in your psyche that would like to manifest but is too painful for you, you may, instead, bite your nails or go on the internet or whatever, and once this has been repeated enough times, the neurotic behaviour itself has turned into a serious problem without the original impetus never once being addressed or even experienced properly.[*]

Anyway, I agree that the fact that many drugs of addiction are illegal produces a completely unnecessary extra layer of crime and suffering and almost never helps anyone overcome their addiction. It's an effing big problem.

[*] Curious fact about humans: they often react to interior problems in ways that only exacerbate them. Think of the husband who is so utterly terrified of losing his wife that he becomes jealous and starts behaving like such a príck that he ultimately makes his fears come true: no longer willing to tolerate awful behaviour, the wife will in fact leave him.

• Like 1

A comparison of two countries and their debt ceilings... a bit of hypocrisy I think, when suggesting the US should just get rid of its debt ceiling from a country that also has a debt ceiling in its constitution no less (I don't think many countries actually has that, but I didn't check)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64878254

Rather than address long-term fiscal sustainability through bipartisan reforms, lawmakers operate as if significant changes to American fiscal policy can only be made with "a gun to their head", he said. "I don't think this is how you get good policy."

Mr Kirkegaard supports getting rid of the US debt ceiling, which he argues is more of a "nuisance" than a tool that constrains government spending.

But he thinks neither party would risk doing it because "they are then vulnerable to the charge that they don't care about fiscal sustainability"

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

30 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

The Nordic Resistance Movement and Nordic Strength are neo-Nazi parties / groups, whereas the SD are not, despite plenty of shady things in their past (and present). I don't think there's much to argue about in here.

The difference is that NMR and similar doesn't have the "clean" image of SD, SD was and still is a neo nazi party, they just wear suits and ties instead of brown shirts and keep their swastikas in the bottom drawer and backs of the closets. Hell, their people were about to shout "sieg heil" on live national TV when interviewed after the election while inebriated. And these things are repeated, all, the, time. The members of the party didn't join the Moderates or Christian Democrats and tried to form a wing that has policies hostile to brown people, no, they joined a less known, literal nazi party, and cleaned their image so that people would vote for them.

• Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

13 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

7ipmi5.jpg

Maybe Russia needs to invade all of Europe to stomp out this scourge?

@Azdeus and @Pidesco

Thats why  Sweden needs to join NATO asap or you guys will be the  first ones invaded by  Russia in its magnanimous objective of ridding the world of Nazism :grin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

21 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

@Azdeus and @Pidesco

Thats why  Sweden needs to join NATO asap or you guys will be the  first ones invaded by  Russia in its magnanimous objective of ridding the world of Nazism :grin:

No, these Swedish fascists are connected to Russia, and incentivized by them. Just like Órban and I assume about every far right party in Europe. Putin is against Nazis in the same way that he considers himself the world's one true democrat.

• Like 2

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

For those following the Budweiser marketing disaster in the US they have released a new video to address the fallout and plummeting sales figures

I am surprised that Budweiser didnt think of the consequence to the original Dylan Mulvaney video, current culture wars in the US means that a transgender activist representing beer culture is obviously not going to go down well :grin:

John Milton 

• Like 2

Heja Sverige!!

7 hours ago, BruceVC said:

For those following the Budweiser marketing disaster in the US they have released a new video to address the fallout and plummeting sales figures

(a) Its far too early to have plummeting sales from the ad

(b) sales can't plummet too much because we're still in the 'idiots buy the product so they can destroy it for social media" phase.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

38 minutes ago, Amentep said:

(b) sales can't plummet too much because we're still in the 'idiots buy the product so they can destroy it for social media" phase.

(c) The new commercial was clearly already made and likely slated for release well before the controversy.

(d) Bud Light sends personlized cans to a lot of influencers. Choosing Dylan Mulvaney was probably a fairly low level advertising choice. They couldn't predict the stupidity and hatred of people.

(e) There is nothing wrong with Dylan Mulvaney. People who have a problem with her are bigots.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/04/13/bud-light-loses-4-billion-as-sales-plummet-70-rumor-debunked/

Well the stock price has lost $5 billion since the backlash happened so its definitely had an impact, to quote from the link 

"On April 13, however, it was reported the company’s stock value had in fact gone down a whopping $5 billion since March 31 when the backlash began. The New York Post claimed share value for the Bud Light parent company dropped by nearly 4 per cent in that time period, with stock decreasing 1.5 per cent just Wednesday " 

This is about a customer boycott and it  happens to many companies when  enough customers are united and feel aggrieved about something 

John Milton 

11 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/04/13/bud-light-loses-4-billion-as-sales-plummet-70-rumor-debunked/

Well the stock price has lost $5 billion since the backlash happened so its definitely had an impact, to quote from the link 

"On April 13, however, it was reported the company’s stock value had in fact gone down a whopping $5 billion since March 31 when the backlash began. The New York Post claimed share value for the Bud Light parent company dropped by nearly 4 per cent in that time period, with stock decreasing 1.5 per cent just Wednesday " 

This is about a customer boycott and it  happens to many companies when  enough customers are united and feel aggrieved about something 

132.38 billion to 128.40

LOL

• Haha 1

Heja Sverige!!

6 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

132.38 billion to 128.40

LOL

Yes but that is still considered a substantial loss in that time period 

But I know what you mean, it seems inconsequential but any company would be concerned especially if its because of  a specific reason

John Milton 

12 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Yes but that is still considered a substantial loss in that time period 

But I know what you mean, it seems inconsequential but any company would be concerned especially if its because of  a specific reason

It is not, and by the way that small blip does not seem at all related to the nonexistent boycott.

Heja Sverige!!

22 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

It is not, and by the way that small blip does not seem at all related to the nonexistent boycott.

Why what do you think the share price drop is attributed to?

John Milton 

1 hour ago, Hurlshort said:

There is nothing wrong with Dylan Mulvaney. People who have a problem with her are bigots.

Hold on here, let's not go too far. That Dylan Mulvaney's last name is close to Mulaney is quite troubling because I get her confused with John Mulaney.

Quite frankly I had no idea who Dyan was until some of the worst people got obsessed with her....and I still do not really know. I haven't seen her in anything and she seems to stick to being silly on TikTok. That some middle-aged men are obsessed with a young lady to this degree is creepy, but I guess it tracks because a lot of the people very mad at Dylan sure have some very fun views on the age of consent.

44 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

132.38 billion to 128.40

LOL

As we all know stock prices are incredibly stable and do not zip up or down at the random whims of the market.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Never gets old people that bandy about "snowflakes" or trot out "good times create weak men" a lot get all bent out of shape over things like this.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Hurlshort said:

They couldn't predict the stupidity and hatred of people.

the business model o' rush limbaugh and steve bannon were predicated on the stoopid and hate o' people. for years most o' us laughed at individuals who read national enquirer as serious news unaware that it weren't just a fringe element who saw the enquirer and similar fare as legit. 

marjorie taylor greene gets elected not in spite o' her wackadoodle conspiracy theories but because o' them.

oh, and lest we forget, in late 2001 more than 50% o' democrats believed george bush were complicit in the 9/11 attacks.

particular when people are afraid, they will become angry and stoopid.

however, am gonna concede how in 2023 it is near impossible for reasonable people to predict which new stoopid will be embraced by people. why crt? why dylan mulvaney? is so many other inanities which were seized 'pon by the now mainstream alt-right, but most such conspiracy theories and stoopid die quietly and with little fanfare. predicting which new stoopid goes viral is difficult to divine. am s'posing the unpredictable threshold o' critical mass outrage is why the conservative radio and mtg go with a scattergun approach. 

stoopid and hate is not only predictable but is ordinary. even so, am agreeing am uncertain why the seeming trivial dylan mulvaney thing resonates while in spite o' efforts from the nypost, conservative radio and other members o' the 2023 legion of doom there were no widespread outrage over nhl pride.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

7 hours ago, Malcador said:

Never gets old people that bandy about "snowflakes" or trot out "good times create weak men" a lot get all bent out of shape over things like this.

this is the best time for many part of the world in all recorded history

so they are pretty weak