The All Things Political Topic - new edition

uuuhhii

9 hours ago, HoonDing said:

I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses

Thats such a classic Hoonding thing to say :lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

South Africa has had several adverts banned\retracted   after a backlash and I dont think any of these adverts should have been banned, they really clever and funny. My best one is the last one. Its a reversal of the history of  Colonialism, I remember at the time people were saying its racist because its includes Colonialism but if anything its mocks Europeans\white people 

But all these adverts are really clever

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

South Africa has had several adverts banned\retracted   after a backlash and I dont think any of these adverts should have been banned, they really clever and funny. My best one is the last one. Its a reversal of the history of  Colonialism, I remember at the time people were saying its racist because its includes Colonialism but if anything its mocks Europeans\white people 

But all these adverts are really clever

The Nando one was great. Very clever. The KFC one... just a guess, banned for promoting (tire) burnouts? It's a big problem in some suburbs down here and I think that ad would get in trouble for those 1-2 seconds alone. The other ads were... ok?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

The Nando one was great. Very clever. The KFC one... just a guess, banned for promoting (tire) burnouts? It's a big problem in some suburbs down here and I think that ad would get in trouble for those 1-2 seconds alone. The other ads were... ok?

The Nando ad  is very clever and raises how everyone is SA, except for SAN\Khoi, are " foreigners" . Dont you love the white people buying drugs from the Nigerian :lol:

And the KFC ad  is about that tire burnouts which is  an unofficial activity in parts of SA, quite common but technically illegal 

But I still think the Colonialism ad is the cleverest because its such  a funny  reversal and parody  of the history, Jan Van Riebeeck arrived in SA in 1651. So this has the black guy  arriving in Netherlands in 1651 and the Dutch are still working out geography and then he names the place " Europe " based on the rope he sees. So he colonizes Europe  :lol:

But at the time the outrage and claiming to be offended was  mostly because some  people said it was racist towards black people. But its not racist at all, if anything its mocking towards white people. 

• Like 1

John Milton 

The Beer Saga continues in the funniest way possible

Lol, lmao even

In less funny and more dystopian news: https://www.texasobserver.org/daniel-perry-pardon-greg-abbott-garrett-foster/

For those not in the know, Greg Abbot promised a pardon for Daniel Perry, a man who drove into a crowd and murdered someone, before he was sentenced. It turns out Perry has pursued, some could even say groomed, minors.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

perhaps not as pivotal as the bowling green massacre, but april 23 is worth memorializing and reflecting 'pon as a moment o' import.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

HA7rBl7.jpeg

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-65370284

A fundamental rethink of Australian defense strategy (called the biggest rethink since WWII). In order to counter the red paper dragon up north...

Scrapping plans for armored vehicles and self propelled guns in favour of more HIMARS, long range missiles (300+ miles) and a few hundred extra cruise missiles, expecting a war with China being fought over long distances rather than massed ranks of infantry and armored battalions and lets face it, most of the area north of Sydney is about as populated as The Strip in New Vegas (unfair dig at the game, as that was really a console game limitation at the time)

It recommends that Australia's armed forces switch focus from land-based armour to "longer-range strike capability, with munitions built in Australia", Defence Minister Richard Marles said.

"We need to have a defence force which has the capacity to engage in 'impactful projection'," Mr Marles told reporters.

The minister said the acquisition of "precision strike missiles" with ranges in excess of 500km (310 miles) would give the army "the firepower and mobility it needs into the future".

• Thanks 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

A fundamental rethink of Australian defense strategy (called the biggest rethink since WWII). In order to counter the red paper dragon up north...

Scrapping plans for armored vehicles and self propelled guns in favour of more HIMARS, long range missiles (300+ miles) and a few hundred extra cruise missiles, expecting a war with China being fought over long distances rather than massed ranks of infantry and armored battalions and lets face it, most of the area north of Sydney is about as populated as The Strip in New Vegas (unfair dig at the game, as that was really a console game limitation at the time)

It recommends that Australia's armed forces switch focus from land-based armour to "longer-range strike capability, with munitions built in Australia", Defence Minister Richard Marles said.

"We need to have a defence force which has the capacity to engage in 'impactful projection'," Mr Marles told reporters.

The minister said the acquisition of "precision strike missiles" with ranges in excess of 500km (310 miles) would give the army "the firepower and mobility it needs into the future".

Its good that Oz is taking the Chinese hegemony threat seriously. But I cant see China ever invading Oz or any real military conflict in the future. China will use trade and economic measures to send messages to countries like Oz if you displease them and there is precedent of that already 

Thats Chinese biggest influence over countries like Australia 

John Milton 

6 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Its good that Oz is taking the Chinese hegemony threat seriously. But I cant see China ever invading Oz or any real military conflict in the future. China will use trade and economic measures to send messages to countries like Oz if you displease them and there is precedent of that already 

Thats Chinese biggest influence over countries like Australia 

I saw somewhere, that an all out trade war with China (i.e. no trade at all) would cost Australia 6% of it's GDP. It will hurt, but it's survivable. The process of replacing China with other trading partners already started a couple of years ago, to make the country more of less indifferent to what Beijing does in that regard. Doesn't mean Canberra will just sit and wring its hands if any allied country or territory gets embroiled in a war.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gorth said:

I'd say a combination of a huge drone fleet + the longest range missiles that you can get your hands is what will win the next war. However, at the same time it would be fatal to underestimate cheap artillery, I guess, since those missiles can get quite expensive.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

I saw somewhere, that an all out trade war with China (i.e. no trade at all) would cost Australia 6% of it's GDP. It will hurt, but it's survivable. The process of replacing China with other trading partners already started a couple of years ago, to make the country more of less indifferent to what Beijing does in that regard. Doesn't mean Canberra will just sit and wring its hands if any allied country or territory gets embroiled in a war.

Yes, I remember we have had these debates about Oz being less dependant on China. Obviously most countries trade with China and thats normal and expected but you definitely dont want all your eggs or too many eggs in a  Chinese basket. 

The main difference between investing and trading with  autocracies like China or Western countries is there much less legal recourse if some trade deal goes wrong, the CCP can intervene in any private sector deal and tell the Chinese company what they must do and you will have no  way of meaningfully challenging this in  any  Chinese court 

And greedy Capitalist Australian and government companies are also responsible for Oz being economically beholden to China in certain ways. But you are diversifying and thats the most important thing 

John Milton 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Tucker got fired, Don Lemon got fired, and this:

FuflzL3WwAE3BkY?format=jpg&name=large

Between this. Elon's rocket failure, and hundreds of confidential documents getting leaked by a weird fascist trying to impress teenagers I am convinced we have entered the surreal hilarity stage of dystopia.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

14 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Oh lol, never would have expected Tucker Klansman to get fired.

This is just hearsay, but I read from someone who follows FOX that they were advertising Tucker's show tonight as of this morning. I'd bet that FOX either discovered something really bad they wanted to get ahead of or there was a very big disagreement that boiled over. Either way it's very funny and I look forward to Tucker slumming it on the Daily Wire or something.

am not sure if media personalities being fired qualifies as dystopian unless they were fired for speaking truth to power. lemon and carlson, whatever is the reasons they got fired, is not gone 'cause they were fighting for the cause o' right and justice.

desantis' war on wokeism is in the dystopian wheelhouse, but the fact he has a fit whenever a reporter challenges him on inconvenient facts or mentions his flagging poll numbers likely makes him less appealing to the moderate republicans who inexplicable see desantis as a saner and smarter alternative to trump. desantis failing with republicans nationally is surprising reasonable. converse, trump increased popularity 'mongst the gop is the kinda irrational but inevitable am thinking kp is shooting for.

converse, and speaking o' shooting, the 2nd amendment purists (who all fail from a bad case o' misunderstanding history) reflexive opine that the solution to gun violence is more guns is so exact the kinda brain freeze stoopid we expect in 2023. 

rockets blowing up is kinda common in real life testing o' rocket science... go figure. however, am gonna need learn how much damage were done to the launchpad before seeing the recent unscheduled disassembly *eye roll* as a devestating loss. video shows debris being scattered at launch and at least one storage tank were deformed. odd, but a dented storage tank might be more meaningful than is the explosion o' the world's largest rocket.

perhaps more significant, gop politicians, in spite o' the obvious handicap dobbs has created for them is nevertheless doubling down on abortion limits and most is lining up to support trump in 2024 regardless o' the fact trump is the republican candidate most likely to result in democrats once again showing up at the polls. is the kinda simultaneous insane and predictable behavior am having come to expect in 2023.

similar, from the other side o' the aisle, Congressmen is refusing to question dianne feinestein fitness and nobody seems to wanna talk 'bout biden's age. aoc says the biden administration should ignore the Courts when abortion rulings go 'gainst women rights and sudden all the rule of law democrats turn mute.

meanwhile, in a post volker universe, the fed seems incapable o' doing anything but making matters worse while elected politicians play a game o' chicken with the debt ceiling?

alito...

our opinion o' alito is not a secret.

even so, we wouldn't have heretofore expected an alito dissent which knowing and willful mischaracterized the criticisms o' the shadow docket.

to stop an execution when new evidence or a question o' law is raised in the 11th hour is not gonna shock the conscience o' any follower o' the Courts, save for the conservative majority who has used shadow docket far less than recent SCOTUS incarnations to interfere with executions. similar, use the shadow docket to preserve the status quo when the alternative would cause obvious and immediate harm to americans is what the shadow docket is meant to achieve. alito, in a display o' uncharacteristic churlishness for a Justice, misrepresented the criticisms o' SCOTUS for using the shadow docket to overturn precedent w/o a written explanation or even oral arguments, however 'cause only dissents o' shadow docket rulings is published, no Justice had a chance to respond to alito's obvious mischaracterization. particular as the Justices who has recent criticized the shadow docket includes Kagan and ACB, alito comes off as the worst kinda mansplainer and he did so with devious intent 'cause Kagan and Barett literal had no opportunity to correct alito. 

really wanna crank up the black dystopian hilarity, then there is russia's ukraine war or china's self inflicted population crisis or (name your daily stoopid from the UK). 

etc.

unfortunate, look back at the past few years, am calling this a rather ordinary monday.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

10 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

This is just hearsay, but I read from someone who follows FOX that they were advertising Tucker's show tonight as of this morning. I'd bet that FOX either discovered something really bad they wanted to get ahead of or there was a very big disagreement that boiled over. Either way it's very funny and I look forward to Tucker slumming it on the Daily Wire or something.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2023/04/tucker-carlson-has-left-fox-news.html

Carlson should launch a podcast or start on Utreon, could get a good audience that way.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• Haha 3

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

5 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

I almost forgot about Tucker being angry horny over M&Ms lmao

9 minutes ago, Malcador said:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2023/04/tucker-carlson-has-left-fox-news.html

Carlson should launch a podcast or start on Utreon, could get a good audience that way.

Blocked by the pay wall.

Now that I think about it, Tucker could have been fired to appease a carrier. It's definitely the least dramatic and funny possible reason.

4 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

what are the chances the irony o' the situation is public recognized by all the fox taking heads who have screeched incessant regarding the insidious evils o' cancel culture?

HA! Good Fun!

8 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

what are the chances the irony o' the situation is public recognized by all the fox taking heads who have screeched incessant regarding the insidious evils o' cancel culture?

HA! Good Fun!

Zero. The chances are zero.

In any case they just "cancelled" the mouthpiece. The abhorrent messaging will continue unabated.

• Sad 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

36 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Blocked by the pay wall.

Huh, didn't encounter one.  Canadian privilege

Just references other stuff as to why he got sacked

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2023-04-24/tucker-carlson-is-out-at-fox-news

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2023/04/24/tucker-carlson-leaves-fox-news/

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra