The New Cinema and Movie Thread

LadyCrimson

14 hours ago, majestic said:

I want to take this opportunity to apologize to @David Lynch who most likely isn't reading this forum anway that I called Mulholland Drive pretentious cow droppings. I profusely apologize and repent, I have seen the light. Yep.

artworks-zCACh8X3eSVE8fhz-tllH6w-t500x50

• Gasp! 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

4 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

...Alright, I'm twenty minutes in, and I think I have to call it quits. This is deathly boring.

It is, and it never gets better, although there is one moment in the film that caused me to laugh out loud. Not sure when that was, but I think it was after twenty minutes.

Jessica is looking for Hernan and stumbles across a jazz jam session. Bass, piano, guitar and drums. The camera just holds on Jessica and some other people initially rapturously (then somewhat uncomfortably) watching the performance for one and a half minutes, and then the scene switches to their point of view and one can observe the band.

Clearly art. What could spell out ART any better than some jazz in this piece of art?  

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

"Everything everywhere all at once". It's basically a feel good film with a simple message of "Talk to, listen to and all in all pay attention to your family, also be kind", but conveys it  in a fun, non-saccharine way. 

• Like 2

Downfall (2004). That one German film where the funny Hitler meme videos come from. It's been about fifteen years since I last watched it, and it doesn't hold up quite as well as I thought it would; there's way too many very pointed "how could we have known this would happen"-type inserts that feel clumsy and out of place throughout the film. When the film is just proceeding along without the overbearing moralizations is when it's good, but there are too many such detours that awkwardly feel somewhere between either self-apologist or revisionist.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Watched the indian bromance movie RRR. It was honestly not bad. Bit too long, though. Could probably cut at least 30 minutes out of it and not miss out on anything. Still, pretty fun action flick for the most of it, and not boring (I have a tendency to fall asleep in nowadays action movies, which I didn't here).

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

It reminds me of the trailers they did for late 80s direct to VHS movies, which in itself is really weird.  

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

37 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

It probably works better in black and white, but I don't get it. Is it supposed to be making fun of The Munsters?

Its a super-love letter to The Munsters; ostensibly a "how-did-they-get-together" prequel showing how Herman met Lilly, married and left Transylvania to move to mocking bird lane.  Lots of references to the show (the Wolfman and Gillman are relative's who appear in the show; Herman's driving outfit from THE MUNSTER'S GO HOME amid other more obscure one) plus the nods the Universal and Hammer Frankenstein and Dracula films).

But the pacing on the trailer is really whack, like it wasn't edited right (or, as I mentioned, was edited to attain a faux 1987 direct-to-video feel.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

On 7/15/2022 at 6:48 PM, Amentep said:

People need to let the 80's go.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

RRR

So it's ridiculous. Between the CGI animals and the Indian supermen who can fly, this movie is ludicrous. Extreme camp, could not be sillier of it tried.

Somehow it works.

The plot isn't much to write home about, the characters are shallow, and the singing is not my thing. It feels like a pastiche of action films, and that's where the beauty lies. When you think about it, Bheem throwing a cgi tiger at British troops like it's a discus is no less ridiculous than some of the stuff you'd see an action film try to do seriously. By making this stuff just blatantly ridiculous and not slapping coats of paint to try to cover it up with serious stuff, it's able to shine in absurdity. 

15 hours ago, Raithe said:

I'm getting a certain panto vibe...

No Jeremy Irons hamming it up no care.

dnd22.gif

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

9 hours ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

RRR

So it's ridiculous. Between the CGI animals and the Indian supermen who can fly, this movie is ludicrous. Extreme camp, could not be sillier of it tried.

Somehow it works.

The plot isn't much to write home about, the characters are shallow, and the singing is not my thing. It feels like a pastiche of action films, and that's where the beauty lies. When you think about it, Bheem throwing a cgi tiger at British troops like it's a discus is no less ridiculous than some of the stuff you'd see an action film try to do seriously. By making this stuff just blatantly ridiculous and not slapping coats of paint to try to cover it up with serious stuff, it's able to shine in absurdity. 

I really liked the movie and I'm tempted to check out other indian movies now. My only issue with it was that it did feel a bit too long. There's some flashback scenes that could have been shorter, and then there are flashback scenes that we already saw and showing them again was just annoying, etc.

I really liked how the two main guys became bros. It was a real brodude adventure.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."