The New Cinema and Movie Thread

LadyCrimson

3 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

the whole godkiller black goo thing was not very interesting in the comic

hope they changed enough to be something better

Fem Thor wasn't that good either. The best part of that run for me was the old/future Thor.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

53 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Fem Thor wasn't that good either. The best part of that run for me was the old/future Thor.

everyone already know the whole cancer story line will go nowhere the moment it begin

comic suffer this kind of problem for decades

main character just doesn't die or change

status quo so painfully difficult to change even a little

3 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

everyone already know the whole cancer story line will go nowhere the moment it begin

comic suffer this kind of problem for decades

main character just doesn't die or change

status quo so painfully difficult to change even a little

Hey, at least the Marvel folks can ****.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Apocalypse Now Redux.

It's a brutal film filled with horror and depravity. Yet, I loved all 3+ hours of it. Beautiful and disturbing in equal measure, sometimes at the same time. I'm not sure what the new cut added but I it feels very complete, not quite busting at the seams but close.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

Apocalypse Now Redux.

It's a brutal film filled with horror and depravity. Yet, I loved all 3+ hours of it. Beautiful and disturbing in equal measure, sometimes at the same time. I'm not sure what the new cut added but I it feels very complete, not quite busting at the seams but close.

So far as I can remember the two major scenes retained between the <<Redux>> and Coppola's <<Final Cut>> was Willard stealing Kilgore's surfboard (which helps with continuity and provides a good transition between the air cav assault and PBR Street Gang proceeding up the river) and the plantation. As beautifully shot and in my opinion thematically necessary the plantation segment was it did have the unfortunate effect of majorly messing with the film's pacing, and I imagine if this was someone's first time watching <<Apocalypse Now>> in any form they will have mentally checked out of the movie half-way through their time in Kurtz's compound.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Watched Mission Impossible 5 on monday and 6 yesterday after I've read a lot of praise for them on reddit for a while now. I'm surprised that they actually didn't sucked. After the 2nd movie years ago I've never seen any of them / never bothered with it anymore. (Also there's been so many movie releases by now that I've automatically assumed they are all garbage.)

Anyways. It was quite enjoyable. Nice action, nice twists that I didn't predicted at all, and the characters are likeable with the occasional funny thrown into the mix.

The "I'm backstabbing you!" - "Fool! I'm actually backstabbing you with backstabbing the people you wanted to use to backstab me!" stuff was a bit over the top, but other than that I did not fall asleep while watching, which is pretty good for me nowadays.

Honestly looking forward to Mission Impossible 7 now.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I refuse to watch any of the MI films due to the 1st Cruise film's attempt to **** on the original TV series.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

On 5/25/2022 at 5:51 AM, Amentep said:

I refuse to watch any of the MI films due to the 1st Cruise film's attempt to **** on the original TV series.

But you missed out on the hilarity of MI2. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

But you missed out on the hilarity of MI2. 

I'm good. :)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

I'm good. :)

No, you're not. MI2 is one of these things that an avid film connaisseur simply must have watched. It must be experienced to be believed.

Or in other words, I have no idae how  this became a film series after the second film. That was so bad it should have ended the series and derailed Tom Cruise's career, but curiously enough neither did happen.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I had to look it up, but Simon Pegg joined the series with MI3, so I guess he is the key to them getting back on track. Which one did he shoot awkwardly with Katie Holmes?

It does seem like the later films kept things lighter than the first 2. I remember the first somewhat well, but the rest are mostly a blur. I also thought Cruise was going to be replaced by Hawkeye at some point. Ah well, I enjoy that 60-year old actors can still be action stars, it gives me some hope as I age.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

No, you're not. MI2 is one of these things that an avid film connaisseur simply must have watched. It must be experienced to be believed.

EXTREME

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What makes the MI movies such a breath of fresh air is that in an age of actors standing in front of a green screen while a team of a thousand computer artists generate pretty lights and sploshuns to fill the background that's chromakeyed out, they still use a lot of real stunts and practical effects. As good as CGI has gotten, and it's come a long way from the hilariously awful CGI of the SW prequels, there's no substituting for practical effects. Also, the action scenes in MI tend to be less busy and it's easy to process what is happening, as opposed to the sensory overload you often get with CGI action scenes.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Regarding Mission: Impossible - all the action stuff was never what Mission: Impossible was about, which this re-affirms my desire to never see any of the films. YMMV.

I watched Heavy Metal 2k, never saw it but I did see the first one.   Wish I still never did.  The things I do for a sense of completeness.

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Oh boy, a show about the incredibly memorable character Cassian Andor! I'm sure everybody and their grandmother was clamoring to get more Cassian Andor in their life. Obviously, I'm being facetious. I thought all the characters in Rogue One were incredibly boring. On the plus side, at least it's not about a space wizard with a laser sword, so there's that.:shrugz:

Edited by Keyrock
The quote function is SUPER GARBAGE

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

41 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Oh boy, a show about the incredibly memorable character Cassian Andor! I'm sure everybody and their grandmother was clamoring to get more Cassian Andor in their life. Obviously, I'm being facetious. I thought all the characters in Rogue One were incredibly boring. On the plus side, at least it's not about a space wizard with a laser sword, so there's that.:shrugz:

Hey, the Alan Tudyk HK Droid was pretty fun!

I'm excited for Willow, but I hope it is the proper amount of cheese. Kevin Pollack better be back as a brownie.

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

What makes the MI movies such a breath of fresh air is that in an age of actors standing in front of a green screen while a team of a thousand computer artists generate pretty lights and sploshuns to fill the background that's chromakeyed out, they still use a lot of real stunts and practical effects.

Yep. There was a certain amount of disbelief among the film industry here that Tom Cruise actually flew the helicopter in the one they shot in NZ (Fallout?) because it was... not exactly safe and exactly the sort of thing you'd expect to be CGI or at least a stunt double for all of it. Say what you like about Tom Cruise, but he's certainly no coward and commits fully to his films.

Oh boy, a show about the incredibly memorable character Cassian Andor! I'm sure everybody and their grandmother was clamoring to get more Cassian Andor in their life. Obviously, I'm being facetious. I thought all the characters in Rogue One were incredibly boring. On the plus side, at least it's not about a space wizard with a laser sword, so there's that

Rogue One's protagonists suffered badly from Joss Whedon Ensemble Syndrome. Good thing the rest of the movie was decent, and they had a better than decent main antagonist with some actually memorable lines (plus Tarkin and Vader were good too, for that matter). Don't really blame them for doing a series via the one Disney era movie that fans (nearly) unanimously like or at least tolerate though.

Overall, I'd prefer a Disney+ series on Mads Mikkelson's farming tips instead of Andor.

• Like 1