The New Cinema and Movie Thread

LadyCrimson

4 hours ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

Looks to be the whole thing, avaliable in the US (and I assume with VPN in case it's region restricted).

Damn, I forgot how much of the movie is made by the music. I've listened to Red Elvises a lot back then. Never liked the later stuff, though.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

Damn, I forgot how much of the movie is made by the music. I've listened to Red Elvises a lot back then. Never liked the later stuff, though.

Well I'm going in blind so we'll see how it goes

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Tried to watch Snyder's 4hr grey, 4:3 cut of Justice League. After an hour or so I was so bored I turned it off. Cinematography and framing was nice I suppose but too arty for superhero for me I guess. I have not seen the theatrical release.

Hubby and I then watched The Batman. The sound mixing (at least through HBO Max's PS4 app) was kind of audible but I had to turn it really loud and even then I ended up turning on subtitles to make sure I didn't miss or misunderstand dialogue. There was one mega car chase scene where the big bass soundtrack became totally lost in all the explosions, tire screeching etc and I wondered why even have a background soundtrack.

At any rate, The Batman was a bit more entertaining. I give it props for not making up the villains in the usual way and the "mood cinematics" and most of the actors did decent, but I felt like The Riddler chr. was too akin to the movie Seven in execution. Also, I felt like the pacing was off (should've been 2 hours 15 min. at most) for the content and I kept getting up and walking away to fiddle in the kitchen, coming back feeling like I missed nothing. We may all know the basics of "Batman" history already but there was so little characterization of anyone that I didn't care a lot about what was happening, to anyone.

Which to me is a problem with most modern big blockbuster. They're all visuals and mood and not much else.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm really looking forward to seeing Everything Everywhere All at Once. 

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

23 hours ago, Amentep said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing Everything Everywhere All at Once. 

I'll be all over it once it hits streaming.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The Northman. While it's visually impressive, very much so, I also think it's (currently) least among Robert Eggers' films. By no means does that make it bad, but compared to The VVitch and The Lighthouse, it's feels like sacrificing some of the crazier moments and suspense in favor of action scenes. Which isn't a good trade for me. The VVitch will make my list of top horror films and The Lighthouse is just something else, but The Northman just doesn't feel as profound for me.

And I don't usually like to do this but **** it

Spoiler

Nicole Kidman freaked me out. Her face in some scenes looked like a mask, the combination of plastic surgery with natural lighting and her outdoors costume did her no favors. That was more unsettling than much of the film.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I saw that movie "Old" on HBOMax today. I wasn't expecting much from it, but I neither fell asleep nor turned it off. *shrug* Still, maybe a 4/10 at best.

...for some reason the thing that stuck in my mind the most was the excuse they made up for why their finger/toenails and hair were not growing at the same accelerated rate (eg, not at all) - which I think was supposed to be about 2 years for every hour - to paraphrase: "maybe it's because those things are dead cells and aren't affected....."
...but, but, they are connected/extended from the live cell nailbeds/hair roots, which would "age" and keep going, so hair/nails would still get longer, see, and
...then I started imagining this group of folks just sitting in a circle passing a pair of nail clippers around, where by the time it reached back to the first person they'd have to cut their foot long (or more) nails again, and that would be the entire movie. Actually, with some snappy dialogue, that might've been a better movie.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Northman (2022). Um...I really liked both The Lighthouse and The Witch, but this just wasn't it for me. Some things looked or sounded pretty off stylistically (a few too many scenes that were just kind of ugly or cheap looking), Anya-Taylor Joy seemed like a very bad miscast (which is weird, since I've very much liked her in a number of other roles)...but really, the movie just felt very silly instead of tense or engaging. Maybe if you're more interested in the premise and dark fantasy action than I am.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

15 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

The Northman (2022). Um...I really liked both The Lighthouse and The Witch, but this just wasn't it for me. Some things looked or sounded pretty off stylistically (a few too many scenes that were just kind of ugly or cheap looking), Anya-Taylor Joy seemed like a very bad miscast (which is weird, since I've very much liked her in a number of other roles)...but really, the movie just felt very silly instead of tense or engaging. Maybe if you're more interested in the premise and dark fantasy action than I am.

The real question is

Did Nicole Kidman's face look like a mask to you?

5 hours ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

The real question is

Hopefully, one day, there'll come a time where it's O.K. for an older American Hollywood actress to age gracefully. I know I am not the only one who is at least a little horrified by what some of these poor women do to themselves for the sake of their careers, yet the phenomenon persists. There were some scenes (usually the farther away ones) where she looked relatively normal, but there were others where she looked quite strange.

5 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

visual of the northman are great

The landscapes looked nice, as did the costumes and such. All the more puzzling that a number of scenes looked kind of bad to me...particularly after having seen Eggers' The Lighthouse, which was visually sublime. Very different styles of film that require different types of scenes, of course, but still.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

9 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Hopefully, one day, there'll come a time where it's O.K. for an older American Hollywood actress to age gracefully. I know I am not the only one who is at least a little horrified by what some of these poor women do to themselves for the sake of their careers, yet the phenomenon persists. There were some scenes (usually the farther away ones) where she looked relatively normal, but there were others where she looked quite strange.

It's a bummer for women in Hollywood that after a certain age their parts become limited to grandma and witch (I'm exaggerating but you get the picture) whereas their male counterparts can still play action man or whatever well into their sixties. I'm not going to feel sorry for these rich and famous people, but it is unfair.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

Still as charming/fun and absurd as ever. Well, except for some schmaltzy songs, but that's ok, it's the era.  😄  The dance numbers are still marvelous.

• Like 1

Ok, I saw the first Tom Holland Spiderman movie. It was cute. Humor was a little "young" for me but at least there was some characterization. Although, I know Parker is 15, but I felt like he behaved more like he was 10. Regardless, it was light fun. Not sure I'm interested in seeing the sequels tho.

2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Ok, I saw the first Tom Holland Spiderman movie. It was cute. Humor was a little "young" for me but at least there was some characterization. Although, I know Parker is 15, but I felt like he behaved more like he was 10. Regardless, it was light fun. Not sure I'm interested in seeing the sequels tho.

As a parent of a 15-year old, I disagree.

56 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

As a parent of a 15-year old, I disagree.

Most of my "since we were 5 so I was one of the guys" friends growing up were male and I don't remember anyone acting like that in front of me. Course maybe they still behaved differently with no girl around. Still, most of the ones I knew (outside of my "group" as well) were quieter and much more responsible.

I guess I hung out with the snobby and studious/reserved crowd.  :lol:

Six String Samurai. It was a fun campy romp. The music really did make the movie in this case.

Eraserhead. What the Hell? but good.

• Like 2