The New Cinema and Movie Thread

LadyCrimson

3 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

Christopher Pike is very capable of hamming it up, so I have some confidence in the D&D movie. Plus I think I saw Hugh Grant in there for a moment. 

Which one, Jeffrey Hunter, Sean Kenney, Bruce Greenwood, or Anson Mount? :shifty:

• Haha 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

If that D&D film is at least 30% better than that one that starred Jeremy Irons, it'll probably be counted as a win.

Although that trailer does nothing for me. Something about it looks cheap or cramped for some reason, not sure why, feels more like TV sets, and while the cast is maybe ok and it has that Guardians humor vibe, dunno. Looks very generic. Also, is there something about D&D that make rogues/thieves desirable as the core hero bunch? Didn't the J. Irons movie feature two theives too? Trap disarming maybe? Gotta have those I guess.  :shifty:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/57950.Swords_and_Deviltry

*shrug*

tolkien, howard and leiber arguable represent three o' the top five fiction sources for original d&d.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

11 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Which one, Jeffrey Hunter, Sean Kenney, Bruce Greenwood, or Anson Mount? :shifty:

Hah, I had no idea what you were talking at first. Weird that there were so many Christopher Pike Star Trek Captains, but a guy with one letter difference ends up playing Kirk.

Anyways, I enjoy Chris Pine. :p

This is the Call of Duty of movies

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Duel_(2021_film)

This is an  excellent movie based on a true story set in 14th  Century  France, its about 2 men of wealth who  fight a duel to the death over allegations one of the mens wife was raped by the other 

The filming and recreation of medieval France is superlative and its the best fight I have ever seen between knights 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

as an aside, am not sure why there has never been a fafhrd and gray mouser movie or tv vehicle. is four or five decades worth o' fafhrd and gray mouser stories and leiber's prose style were far easier (better) than tolkien's. c.s. lewis has had animated and live action adaptions o' his works. has been how many conan/robert e. howard movies and shows? there were a couple aborted attempts to do elric movies and tv, which is nevertheless more than has ever been done insofar as leiber's rogues.

am having no idea what is the situation with the intellectual property, so perhaps the leiber estate don't want movies or tv, but the absence o' arguable the most entertaining o' the early fantasy works o' fiction from tv and movies is a curiosity.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The Departed (2006)

It's been a while since I've seen this, and I think it was previously the only Scorsese movie I've seen once. The Bawstawn accents were a source of (unintentional) comedy, but even with that it's a beautiful film. It was nice to see Jack Nicholson in something where he gets to go madcap.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

53 minutes ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

The Departed (2006)

It's been a while since I've seen this, and I think it was previously the only Scorsese movie I've seen once. The Bawstawn accents were a source of (unintentional) comedy, but even with that it's a beautiful film. It was nice to see Jack Nicholson in something where he gets to go madcap.

I really wanted to like this one, but could never get over the shoddy text-based chase scene, nor the part where holding up your cell phone allows you to locate the person you're calling.

It's almost like Scorsese is confused by mobile phones and assumes the audience is also.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

19 minutes ago, Achilles said:

I really wanted to like this one, but could never get over the shoddy text-based chase scene, nor the part where holding up your cell phone allows you to locate the person you're calling.

It's almost like Scorsese is confused by mobile phones and assumes the audience is also.

I don't think the almost is necessary. In retrospect though, it doesn't bother me as much as iPad wizardry that happens in some action movies or shows.

The chase scene was weak, but I think the rest of film more than makes up for it. It's not Scorsese's best film, maybe not even in the top 10, but I found myself enjoying it quite a lot.

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Aliens (1986).

MV5BZGU2OGY5ZTYtMWNhYy00NjZiLWI0NjUtZmNh

In "honor" of James Cameron's Avatar 2 coming out soon (not that I've actually, you know, seen the first Avatar), I finally watched Aliens. Historically speaking, I don't have much appreciation for James Cameron's work: I don't care a ton for Terminator 2, I thought Titanic was pretty terrible, I got ten minutes through Avatar before I turned it off (though the only thing I really remember about it now is that Sigourney Weaver was coincidentally in it)...buuut the original Terminator is pretty enjoyable as far as really silly action flicks go - at least from what I can remember. I loved the original Alien when I saw it about five years ago (even with the one lady screaming and crying throughout the entire film...well, not quite the entire film as it turns out, heh), and I waited to see this because of my apprehension for Mr. Cameron's work.

So how does Aliens stack up? Well...right off the bat, Sigourney Weaver's doing a pile of bad lines in corny scenes with nearly theatre levels of over-acting, and trust me that I know that it ain't Ms. Weaver's fault; we also have hundreds of xenomorphs running around like ants zerg-rushing everywhere in grotesquely bad action scenes starring the cringiest possible 80s space marines. At least the film has a lot of special effects that the film gratuitously idles away on, right? Sigh...I tried to wait a long time to watch this so that I could be kind to it (as watching right after having seen and loved the original would almost certainly be a very bad decision), and it turns out for good reason. No, even accounting for the totally different style, it does not measure up very well against the original: it's a hollowed out, rotten husk of a film that put all of its time and focus into all of the wrong things in an apparent deliberate attempt to be a near perfect opposite of the original film. As far as cheesy popcorn 80s monster mash action flicks, I guess it might be okayish - it starts getting very mildly enjoyable once Sigourney actually springs into action instead of having to listen to all the other Hollywood paper cutout bozos do the world's worst acting job. Not that it's their fault, James Cameron is just a woefully insufficient actor's director (and never mind the writing). Bleh, all in all, it was about what I expected.

Edited by Bartimaeus
Will I ever write a post where I don't screw up the wording of something at least a little bit, necessitating an edit? Probably not.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Marvel Studios just announced release dates for about a billion new MCU movies

GotG V 3 - 05 May 23 (Wonder if there will also be a Star Wars thing the day before?)

Blade - 03 Nov 23

Captain America: New World Order - 03 May 24 (Another one right next to Star Wars day)

Thunderbolts - 26 Jul 24

Fantastic 4 - 08 Nov 24

Avengers: The Kang Dynasty - 02 May 25 (They can't stop releasing around that date, huh?)

Avengers: Secret Wars - 07 Nov 25

I will watch every single one of them, but might wait for some to come to streaming.

• Like 1

I saw the trailer for Netflix's The Sandman, which was visually interesting. I'm not sure I care about the show but it did make me curious about the comic.

Edit: oh wait that should've gone into the TV thread. Sorry.  Heh. >.>

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Alien 3 (1992).

p14014_p_v8_ba.jpg

If not enjoying big dumb Hollywood action blockbusters is a sin, then call me Antichristus Bartimaeus, because Alien 3 is far and away the better and more enjoyable film compared to Aliens - I actually rather enjoyed it. Though that comes with the caveat that I watched the "Assembly Cut" version of the film, which is half an hour longer than the theatrical cut and supposedly restores a great deal many scenes that help flesh out the characters better. The special effects, of course, aren't nearly as impressive (or flamboyant) as Aliens, but they're fine enough to carry a solid core of a film (this film actually had tension at various points - wow, imagine a horror film having tension!). Well, outside of a few scenes in particular that had visibly bad lighting/color balancing for the xenomorph anyways, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

3 minutes ago, Sarex said:

@Bartimaeus What about Alien Resurrection, you watching that? 😁

If someone can inform me as to whether it's an incredibly stupid action movie like the second one, or a horror movie like the first and third, I could probably tell you. Apparently, Sigourney Weaver insisted that there be NO GUNS for her to come back for the third, which I think all in all was a pretty wonderful decision.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 1

6 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

If someone can inform me as to whether it's an incredibly stupid action movie like the second one

It is, except worse in every way, and Ripley is an alien/human hybrid for whatever reason. If you thought she overacted in Aliens, you're in for a treat in Resurrection. :p 

• Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

2 minutes ago, majestic said:

It is, except worse in every way, and Ripley is an alien/human hybrid for whatever reason. If you thought she overacted in Aliens, you're in for a treat in Resurrection. :p 

That...sounds less than ideal. Have you seen it, would you recommend it to me? :p

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2022 at 1:26 PM, Chairchucker said:

Marvel Studios just announced release dates for about a billion new MCU movies

GotG V 3 - 05 May 23 (Wonder if there will also be a Star Wars thing the day before?)

Blade - 03 Nov 23

Captain America: New World Order - 03 May 24 (Another one right next to Star Wars day)

Thunderbolts - 26 Jul 24

Fantastic 4 - 08 Nov 24

Avengers: The Kang Dynasty - 02 May 25 (They can't stop releasing around that date, huh?)

Avengers: Secret Wars - 07 Nov 25

I will watch every single one of them, but might wait for some to come to streaming.

pretty sure there are multiple secret war in marvel comic

will this one end with old captain punching tony in ironman suit

thunderbolt should be out about 2015

far too late